Update: Electrical problem sparks fire call at Emeritus on 35th

March 1, 2014 at 10:58 am | In West Seattle fires, West Seattle news, WS breaking news | 6 Comments

(Photo by Christopher Boffoli for WSB)
10:58 AM: Big fire callout to 4611 35th SW, which is the Emeritus Senior Living facility. Arriving units did not find any obvious sign of fire – sounds like they might have found a bit of smoke in a sixth-floor laundry room – possibly an electrical problem. We’re en route to check.

11:05 AM UPDATE: Most of the fire units have been dismissed (we’re heading north on 35th and have already passed Engines 11 and 37 heading back to their stations). We’re now arriving in the area just north of Alaska on 35th and two units are still visible outside the building. No traffic effects.

12:07 PM: Tim Clemans was at the open house at Station 32 nearby when they got the call for this – here’s what Tim recorded via Google Glass:

Since it initially went out as a “fire in building” call, that meant a huge response just in case – not just from the nearest station (this one) but from others in West Seattle as well as specialized equipment from across the bridge. Meantime, SFD wrapped up after clearing the smoke generated by the laundry-room problem

1. Glad, of course, that this was basically a non-issue at Emeritus, but that had to be a nice bonus for those attending the open house!

Thanks, Tim and WSB, for the vid share!

KMG365

Mike

Comment by miws — 1:24 pm March 1, 2014 #

2. I watched the video twice. The little one who ran after the fire truck but was caught up in the arms of his mom was the best part! Maybe a future fire fighter? :)

Comment by sc — 7:01 pm March 1, 2014 #

3. Nice acknowledgement of “Emergency!” Mike.

Comment by Ken — 8:00 pm March 1, 2014 #

4. I hate google glasses. There should be a sign on the wearer at the least that says i’m filming you (because I’m doing via a *hidden camera). I gotta wonder at someone that has a need to film people without their knowledge, if you get my drift

Comment by citizen — 12:36 pm March 2, 2014 #

5. Citizen, while I am personally ambivalent about Google Glass too, it is used for far more than just video recording – it’s a wearable computer, for starters. Hidden cameras have long been legal in our state – but audio recording, at least back when I was in TV, was supposed to require consent, at least beyond ambient sound. – TR

Comment by WSB — 1:03 pm March 2, 2014 #

6. Dear Citizen:

When I’m not filming I cover the camera. Unfortunately it’s not standard for Glass Explorers to use a cover.

At the fire station I only recorded this response and one of the units returning. Per Washington’s wiretap laws I didn’t need permission to record audio because it was filmed in an area open to the public at the time and the conversations could be overheard by others. That said the fire department can trespass a person for recording. I figured I was in the clear because of the nature of the event and cell phone recording going on. The PIO and I had a short discussion about the department’s filming policy.

In my case I have Glass ($1,500+tax) because my job is developing apps for it and it was given to me. If I didn’t have Glass I would have filmed it on my phone. If someone wants to take covert video/audio there are about twenty sub $300 devices that are virtually impossible to notice.

Comment by Tim Clemans — 6:12 pm March 2, 2014 #