West Seattle Bridge alert: Watch out for ‘metal plate’ on eastbound east end

March 16, 2014 at 10:15 am | In Safety, West Seattle news | 24 Comments

10:15 AM: We’ve just received two reports of a hazard on the eastbound Spokane Street Viaduct – near the I-5 ramps on the east end of the West Seattle Bridge: It’s described as a protruding “metal plate,” in the left lane between the 1st and 4th Avenue exits, and one texter reports seeing people pulled over with flat tires. We’ve advised people to call 911 to report it since it sounds like it needs urgent repair work; on weekdays, the SDOT hotline 206-684-ROAD would be the place to call.

10:22 AM: The texting tipster says 911 promised to get someone out to fix it.

1. I didn’t see the metal protrusion, but I did see a deep pothole in the left lane between 1st and 4th on that viaduct.

Comment by Stacy — 10:48 am March 16, 2014 #

2. Speaking of hazards: Any time there is more than a drizzle, it seems like water builds up along the barrier and into the inner lanes around that same area. It seems like the company that did all the resurfacing should be accountable for fixing the grading. It was quite bad around 7 this morning.

Comment by James — 10:55 am March 16, 2014 #

3. Also watch out for the big pot hole e/b just past going under 99. Interesting couple years old and failing apart already. One of the worst road rebuilds I have ever seen with it’s patch work and unevenness. Seattle

Comment by wetone — 10:56 am March 16, 2014 #

4. The eastbound side is the original Spokane St. Viaduct, with new surfacing. The westbound side is the newly built structure. The eastbound side had trouble even right after it was finished, as noted here in 2012:

Comment by WSB — 11:10 am March 16, 2014 #

5. No sign of a metal plate, but ditto about the deep, sharp-edged pothole in the left lane eastbound. I just missed hitting it head on, but even clipping the edge of it, it jarred my car quite hard.

Comment by John — 12:00 pm March 16, 2014 #

6. Yep. Big hole and lots of puddles. I kind of drove in both lanes since there was no one on the right

Comment by Ael — 12:03 pm March 16, 2014 #

7. I think something got mixed up in my call to the Blog folks. i thought it was like a metal plate was missing. like a square manhole cover. my poor Subaru hit hard. Thanks WSB for taking my call and reporting it.

Comment by smokeycretin9 — 12:31 pm March 16, 2014 #

8. That reconstruction took forever, had drainage problems immediately (still does) and is now crumbling apart.

Comment by CandrewB — 12:54 pm March 16, 2014 #

9. Just shows how incompetent this city is with spending tax payers dollars and time wisely when they accept this shoddy work. West bound lanes wont be far behind. City people that accepted this job should of been fired as they don’t know what their doing and seems all to familiar around here lately. But this city never holds it’s own accountable for anything :)

Comment by wetone — 12:59 pm March 16, 2014 #

10. We hit that pot hole about the same time. Luckily our tire survived it. It’s a doozie.

Comment by Krista — 1:05 pm March 16, 2014 #

11. Thanks, Smokey … Patrick (who answers the hotline 99.9% of the time) relayed it to me as something about a plate, and then “Jamma,” who texted, described it as a protruding plate. Whatever it was, I hope it’s fixed now – that section of the bridge doesn’t have a public camera or else we’d be looking for a road crew. Thanks again for sounding the alert. – Tracy

Comment by WSB — 1:16 pm March 16, 2014 #

12. We hit the same hole at around 1030 this morning. The tires or suspension do not appear to be damaged at this time, but if they are, can I file a claim with the city?

Comment by West Seattle Hipster — 2:24 pm March 16, 2014 #

13. I felt terrible for the lady in the nicer Mercedes four door with the low profile tires. She was pulled over in the gore point at I-90 exit. It looked like her rim was destroyed.
    I hit it so hard, I was waiting for the tire pressure warning light to come on. It didnt, but when I got to the Summit, I noticed I almost lost the hubcap. It was hanging on barely.

Comment by smokeycretin9 — 3:02 pm March 16, 2014 #

14. Does anyone know if this has been fixed, or if it will cause a big problem in the Monday morning commute?

Comment by carole — 5:43 pm March 16, 2014 #

15. WS Hipster, you used to be able to file for compensation– as recently as four years ago when I hit a bad one on Beacon Hill. However, I can’t seem to find information about it on the city website anymore.

Comment by hj — 6:15 pm March 16, 2014 #

16. http://www.seattle.gov/fas/filing_a_damage_claim.htm

Comment by WSB — 6:19 pm March 16, 2014 #

17. If you hit hard enough to cause a flat tire, get your frame near that tire checked for a crack. I hit a pothole near Green Lake years ago, which likely caused an A-frame crack because within a few years it broke.

Comment by dsa — 6:32 pm March 16, 2014 #

18. That eastbound resurfacing part of the project should never have been accepted by the city.

Comment by dsa — 6:34 pm March 16, 2014 #

19. Thanks for the info.

Comment by West Seattle Hipster — 7:18 pm March 16, 2014 #

20. Along with the horrible and unacceptable grind-and-skimcoat East bound lane that is already crumbling there are 4-5 street light stanchions between 1st and 4th that are not working. Again. This has been going on since the project was supposedly done. It isn’t even half funny anymore.
    Talk about breeding cynicism and lack of faith in government that awards contracts to low bidders or looks the other way on holding said contractors accountable.
    Meanwhile, the multi billion $$$ tunnel is becoming a cruel joke and the same old BIG Project proponents are salivating over the Waterfront Park/$wimming Pool and $eaWall.

Comment by Mike D. — 7:24 pm March 16, 2014 #

21. Thank you for posting this.

I hit the pot hole at around 9:30 AM on Sunday. I had no idea what I had even driven over at the time, but I knew immediately that I had gotten a flat tire. Luckily I was able to make it off of the bridge before calling for assistance.

I’ve saved the tire (there are two huge gaping slash marks in it) and will be filing a claim with the city today. I’m just hoping additional damaged wasn’t caused that isn’t readily noticeable.

Comment by Melissa — 9:51 am March 17, 2014 #

22. Yes, you can file a claim. Last winter I hit a pothole on Delridge, it ruined my tire. Less than a month later the city sent me a check. I had reported the pothole that night, filled out the paperwork and sent a copy of the receipt for a new tire.

Comment by curiousmindz — 10:40 am March 17, 2014 #

23. If your car hit hard enough to blow the tire, please have it taken to a shop to check the steering and suspension components. A hit that hard could bend , weaken or break something that could cause your car to steer out of control at any time. Do this BEFORE you make a claim for a tire or wheel. Suspension replacement on one side of a car and alingment could cost upwards of $2000 depending on the car.

Comment by smokeycretin9 — 1:49 pm March 17, 2014 #

24. Thank you. I did go ahead and schedule an appointment with my mechanic to have the steering and transmission checked out prior to submitting my claim.

Comment by Melissa — 5:07 pm March 17, 2014 #