West Seattle wildlife video: Fight of the hummingbirds

If hummingbirds spoke, we imagine these two might have sounded like the seagulls in “Finding Nemo – “mine, mine, mine, mine.” The feeder fight between these two Anna’s Hummingbirds was captured by Vlad Oustimovitch in Gatewood, and we thank him for letting us share it. (The local Audubon Society talks about Anna’s hummingbirds and their feeder behavior here.)

10 Replies to "West Seattle wildlife video: Fight of the hummingbirds"

• comment-avatar
    cjboffoli January 8, 2014 (9:45 am)

That has got to me one of the longest hummingbird dogfights I’ve ever seen. At my feeder one seems to attack and chase the other away. And parenthetically, I’m envious of the beautiful view beyond the feeder!

• comment-avatar
    SA COle January 8, 2014 (9:50 am)

These two must really be hungry! Usually one dominates and effectively chases off others in a split second. Nice video Vlad, thanks for sharing!

• comment-avatar
    enviromaven January 8, 2014 (10:24 am)

Nice! One up-birdship at its best :)

• comment-avatar
    miws January 8, 2014 (10:55 am)

I’m envious of the beautiful view beyond the feeder!

The view caught my eye as well, and as I was viewing Vlad’s great vid, I couldn’t help but be saddened by the fact that the hummingbirds couldn’t, or wouldn’t, put their petty differences aside, and enjoy the incredible view that Mother Nature has provided, while sharing a meal. ;-)

Mike

• comment-avatar
    Stranger January 8, 2014 (10:55 am)

Nice view from your home……

• comment-avatar
    Bettytheyeti January 8, 2014 (10:56 am)

Cool Vlad! Ditto the comment on the view in the background. Looks like a nice day at home. B

• comment-avatar
    Stephen Russell January 8, 2014 (5:37 pm)

“Oh no! Chile you can not have that VIEW from your house, no, no no”…that must be some kind of Hollywood backdrop, yes, that’s what that is”.

• comment-avatar
    Trileigh January 8, 2014 (7:57 pm)

Vlad, what a GREAT video catch! And I agree, that was one unusually long hummingbird dogfight. Would you happen to have another feeder you could place (or maybe have already placed) out of sight of the first? Sometimes if each one can claim a territory there’s less arguing.

At my feeder, though, one little guy sits in the adjacent tree keeping guard over “his” feeder, and when the second one appears, the first one zooms out and runs him off. Still, often enough others sneak in – I think at least 3-4.
    Enjoy and thanks for sharing your video!

• comment-avatar
    dsa January 8, 2014 (8:11 pm)

That’s a cool video to share with us, thank you

• comment-avatar
    batgurrl January 8, 2014 (8:44 pm)

Very cool view of both birds and sound. It is mating season soon so it might be more than just food at stake here. R

WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann