Police checking on reports of possible gunfire

January 9, 2014 at 9:50 pm | In West Seattle news, West Seattle police | 12 Comments

Police are checking on possible gunfire that has been heard – according to reports we’ve received – in North Delridge, High Point, and Puget Ridge. We haven’t heard anything yet indicating whether they’ve determined if it was shots or fireworks, but we do know that so far, no one has turned up anywhere as having BEEN shot.

1. I heard the gunshots clearly from 21st SW & SW Brandon (Puget Ridge). Can’t say exactly where they came from but they sounded fairly close. There were police cruising around the neighborhood but haven’t seen any in 10 minutes or so and I don’t hear any sirens or anything else indicating an emergency.

Comment by Arlene Carter — 9:59 pm January 9, 2014 #

2. Yup, scanner still quiet. We put up something like this after hearing from a bunch of people – in hopes of at least reassuring that no one has BEEN shot, and sometimes this will draw out someone who actually saw whether it was shots, fireworks, etc. We’ll wind up checking with police later to see if any shell casings or damage was ever found…

Comment by WSB — 10:05 pm January 9, 2014 #

3. I heard some weird shot type noises when walking the dog around 930. They sounded like they were coming from the Brandon & Delridge area.

Comment by Francisco — 10:10 pm January 9, 2014 #

4. I heard what almost sounded like a loud explosion off in the distance… If it was a gunshot, it must have been a large caliber… Big Bang. We are Sunrise Heights. Strange..

Comment by Sweet green pea — 11:25 pm January 9, 2014 #

5. I’m by delridge and Brandon and it did sound close. Definitely was gun shots, I think around six. Sounded like a .357 or. 38 possibly.

Comment by Chad — 1:08 am January 10, 2014 #

6. http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Police-Gang-member-tries-to-run-over-man-endangers-others-239484171.html

There’s some bad element in that area right now.

Comment by helridge — 3:52 am January 10, 2014 #

7. I counted 5…also near Delridge and Brandon

Comment by camp long neighbor — 7:02 am January 10, 2014 #

8. We heard them very clearly. 9:30pm 25th & Brandon. Counted 5 shots. We also heard what we thought was a car rushing away.

Comment by Janemckane — 7:52 am January 10, 2014 #

9. I heard something too but I was asleep and it woke me up and I asked my husband what was that! He didn’t hear anything laughing. It sounded like a big boom! I am at 16th and Dawson.

Comment by twinmom — 8:02 am January 10, 2014 #

10. Delridge and Brandon seems about right. As for the number of shots, I heard 8 total; 6 in quick succession, then about 10 or 15 seconds later, 2 more.

Tracy, do you know if this is drug or gang related? The other day noticed a pair of shoe hanging on the lines just south of the Library? Two episodes of gunfire within weeks, something is awry.

Comment by blue sky cheese — 8:15 am January 10, 2014 #

11. What is the significance of shoes hanging from powerlines?

Comment by RK Philips — 9:21 am January 10, 2014 #

12. The belief that it connotes gang activity is an urban legend:
    Meantime, there is no indication that police found shell casings and/or damage, unlike the previous incident – but that one happened in daylight, certainly tougher at night, so if anyone finds something TODAY, let police (and us!) know – TR

Comment by WSB — 9:22 am January 10, 2014 #