Uber: Welcoming a new WSB sponsor, with a deal on your first ride

December 23, 2013 at 5:59 pm | In Transportation, West Seattle news | 15 Comments

(8/14 note: To check whether a business is still a current WSB sponsor, please go here)

Need a ride? Uber has just joined the WSB sponsor team. New sponsors get the chance to share a message with you – and here’s theirs, including a deal:

Hello readers! We here at Team Uber Seattle would like to introduce ourselves and say how very excited we are to be the newest sponsors of the WSB!

What is Uber?
Uber is an app on your smartphone that allows you to request a ride with the push of a button. At the end of the ride, there’s no need to exchange cash or card as the fare is charged directly to your preferred method of payment on file. Plus, as always with Uber, there is no need to tip! Easy-peasy.

ENJOY YOUR 1ST RIDE FREE UP TO $30*!
Download the app, sign up, and enter the promo code SEAWSB for your 1st ride free up to $30!

MORE DETAILS:
Seattle was Uber’s 3rd city to launch. Since then, Uber’s presence has grown to over 60 cities and 20 countries across the world!

Here in Seattle, we have 3 different vehicle choices that you can request:

uberX: Our lower-cost option features mostly hybrids and mid-sized sedans. uberX has the same rates as taxi and as always there is no need to tip (read: cheaper than a taxi.)

UberBLACK: The original Uber. This option features town cars and luxury vehicles, is about 1.5x the cost of a taxi, and is perfect for a night out on the town or getting to/from meetings.

UberSUV: Seats up to 6 people and is great for getting a group of friends from point A to point B. Don’t forget to split the fare with our fare-splitting feature!

If you have any questions at all, please don’t hesitate to shoot us an email or tweet.

Cheers!
Team Uber Seattle: Jen, Travis, Brooke, Bryce, Drew, Melissa, Tom, Ryan, Chelsea, and Meg

*Code is good for new users only through 1/31/14

We thank Uber Seattle for sponsoring independent, community-collaborative neighborhood news via WSB; find our current sponsor team listed in directory format here, and find info on joining the team by going here.

1. Welcome to West Seattle.

Comment by Genesee Hill — 6:16 pm December 23, 2013 #

2. Welcome Uber, and thanks for sponsoring WSB!

Comment by happy — 6:28 pm December 23, 2013 #

3. I would highly recommend Uber. The drivers are very friendly and the cars are clean. I couldn’t believe how quickly the cars arrive at my house. My experience with Uber has only been positive.

Comment by Cooper — 8:24 pm December 23, 2013 #

4. Love Über!!! Use it all the time. No DUIs for me.

Comment by Steph — 10:10 pm December 23, 2013 #

5. Love the fact Uber is willing to be a WSB sponsor, and it speaks volumes to their commitment to this market. However, I will always support local outfits like Black Crown Car before an out-of-state company.

Comment by Hoss — 10:32 pm December 23, 2013 #

6. I like that they recognize local advertising is the way to get the market buzz going. I appreciate thee ability to pick from a selection of services.

Comment by Mike — 12:12 am December 24, 2013 #

7. I also highly recommend Uber. I travel often for work, and the service is consistently excellent. I’ve used in Seattle, but also in other cities. Super convenient, cost-effective. Cheaper than taxi to airport. My only concern was a reference I’d seen in ST article about the Seattle City Council apparently coming up with a passenger-service policy that could shut down UberX in Seattle. Poor!

Comment by Randy — 4:35 am December 24, 2013 #

8. LOVE über- only complaint- every driver that comes to west seattle seems to have never been here before. The last 3 times I used them, I got lost with the driver and paid really high fees. Hopefully now that they’ve been around a few years and the colume has picked up on south seattle, they’ve worked their kinks out! Using them for. Girls day in a few weeks!

Comment by Wsrez — 6:05 am December 24, 2013 #

9. These guys must be one of the companies that is dealing with angry cabbies. I’ve heard it on the news. They are skirting the licensing and taxing that should be paid because they are cabs.

Comment by A — 6:54 am December 24, 2013 #

10. Uber Uber deal http://local.amazon.com/seattle/B00H7K5E0W

Comment by Mike — 8:49 am December 24, 2013 #

11. Don’t use the link posted by ‘foundalink’ above as it is only good for a ride in LA.

Comment by Dontusethelink — 8:14 pm December 24, 2013 #

12. Shane – thanks for pointing that out. Maybe somebody’s attempt at SEO. Will remove that comment.

Comment by WSB — 8:20 pm December 24, 2013 #

13. “These guys must be one of the companies that is dealing with angry cabbies. I’ve heard it on the news. They are skirting the licensing and taxing that should be paid because they are cabs.” I think cabbies are not angry that they are skirting licensing and taxing… they are mad because they have to compete for business by providing better service. Don’t drink the koolaid. Competition is a GREAT thing for consumers. Uber is a great service to the community!

Comment by Tuesday — 9:55 pm December 24, 2013 #

14. UberX are just bandit cabs backed by outside venture capitalists. Why are they sponsoring local blogs? There’s better local alternatives that play by the rules; Flywheel, Black Crown, etc. Uber is just trying crush the local competition, and avoid the regulatory structure because it digs into their profits. Besides everytime I’ve taken uber, they don’t know the streets any better than anyone else.

Comment by Jared West Side — 6:55 pm December 25, 2013 #