Update: 91-year-old Bob no longer missing, found safe

December 19, 2013 at 9:42 pm | In West Seattle news, West Seattle people | 23 Comments

8:17 AM UPDATE: Patricia just sent word that Bob G. has been found safe in Des Moines, and thanks everyone for being on the lookout. Original report from last night, below:

Just got word of the search for this missing man. From Patricia:

Bob G. has been missing since this afternoon. He has dementia and is probably lost and confused. He is a white male, 91yo, stands tall at 6″1′, white hair and friendly. Was driving his black Lexus with WA plates ABD 3668. See attached photo. If you’ve seen him please call us at 206-355-8965 or the Seattle police at 9-1-1.

We are following up to ask where he was last seen, but for starters, please be on the lookout.

1. Really bad timing with the snow coming. He looks very familiar. Is he from here? I hope they find him soon, not sure why he’s still allowed to drive having had a dementia diagnosis.

Comment by alki resident — 9:47 pm December 19, 2013 #

2. He was last seen at home in West Seattle. Maybe seen at Westwood Village Thanks!!

Comment by Patricia — 9:48 pm December 19, 2013 #

3. Hope you find him soon

Comment by zach — 10:00 pm December 19, 2013 #

4. So sorry to hear this, Patricia! Will keep an eye out for him. Alki resident, a “dementia diagnosis” may not be as severe as it sounds & it may not mean that he isn’t a good driver. Following a severe stroke, an unfamiliar doctor diagnosed my Mom as having dementia; he had never seen her before & did not realize that she had a good grasp of where she was & that she knew every one of the members of our family. Her vocabulary wasn’t perfect and she was kind of sketchy regarding the year & things that required short term memory; he zeroed in on those & never looked back. Made me realize that it is a very fine line between dementia & those who have trouble expressing themselves verbally.

Comment by Homedk — 10:22 pm December 19, 2013 #

5. Praying that you find him soon and keeping you in our thoughts.

Comment by Wendy — 10:27 pm December 19, 2013 #

6. Praying and keeping our eyes peeled. Please, if you see him, please don’t be afraid to act.

Comment by WTF — 10:58 pm December 19, 2013 #

7. I hope you find this dear, sweet looking man soon.

Comment by bbuddy — 10:59 pm December 19, 2013 #

8. Thanks Homedk, so far havent had someone in my life with dementia. I always thought it was in the family of Alzheimers.
    I know this man from somewhere and its driving me nuts. It would be nice to ping his phone if he has one. Spreading the word on FB.

Comment by alki resident — 11:31 pm December 19, 2013 #

9. My heart breaks every time I see these posts. My grandma passed 6 years ago of early onset Alzheimer’s. She would wander away sometimes in her bad years, in the earlier years she’d easily lose the car in a parking lot. I highly highly recommend, for anyone who has a family member with Alz, dementia or other complications expressing their name or address to get an ID bracelet or necklace (lots of new sporty styles for runners now that might be comfortable). The earlier the better. When my grandpa finally got one for my grandma she would rip it off her wrist with no regard that that tore her skin up. She no longer understood what jewelry was. I think a fanny pack was the ultimate solution that kept a State issued ID (not drivers license) inside. But anything that can help Good Samaritans to get in contact for your elder’s caretaker is critical.

I hope Bob is located soon!

Comment by Trickycoolj — 11:50 pm December 19, 2013 #

10. Did bob work at west seattle thriftway?? Hopefully we can find him soon! He needs to be reunited with his family ASAP!

Comment by Lala — 3:50 am December 20, 2013 #

11. My Mom with dementia used to keep her emergency locater necklace in the kitchen drawer so she wouldn’t lose it. Worked great when the drawer wandered off and got lost.

Comment by Rick — 4:46 am December 20, 2013 #

12. Hope he is found, and soon!
    About ID bracelets:
    For our uncle with early-onset Alzheimer’s (in his 50s), we used an ID tag that was designed to go on a dog collar– not the hanging tag kind, as he tore off any form of jewlery, but the kind that is a rectangle with a slot in each end to feed the collar through. Sorry, it sounds complicated, but it really wasn’t! I put the tag on his shoe laces. He didn’t notice it, but it was easy for others to spot.

Comment by ocean — 6:20 am December 20, 2013 #

13. Aren’t there tracker devices you can put on a car now, you have an app on your phone and it shows exactly where the car is moving?

Comment by alki resident — 6:32 am December 20, 2013 #

14. We just found Bob!!! He was in a minor car accident in Des Moines and the police found him. We’re on our way to pick him up. Thank you so much for all your concern, prayers and thoughts. We will implement many of them. – Bob’s family

Comment by Patricia — 8:14 am December 20, 2013 #

15. YAY so glad to hear he has been found. and OK.

Comment by sophista-tiki — 8:42 am December 20, 2013 #

16. His car accident was meant to happen in order to be found. What a great way to start my day, so relieved. Merry Christmas Bob!!!

Comment by alki resident — 9:12 am December 20, 2013 #

17. Glad to hear that Bob has been found!

Mike

Comment by miws — 9:20 am December 20, 2013 #

18. So glad to hear that this turned out well!!!
    The ID bracelets or tags are a great idea. For someone who tends to wander away, a door alarm like the type businesses use is also very helpful.

Comment by Homedk — 9:59 am December 20, 2013 #

19. Really glad to hear this man has been found safe.

I have to question why a 91 year old who has been diagnosed with dementia has access to his car.
    Four years ago I was severely injured in an auto accident here in West Seattle. An 86 year old woman didn’t see a stop sign and blew through at 40+ mph. I was broad sided and had to be cut out of my car. The first thing the woman said was that she could no longer see at night and didn’t see the stop sign or my car.
    The impact ruptured three discs in my neck and back, in addition to broken ribs. I’m a 36 year old man who now lives with daily chronic pain and will, god willing, for the next 40+ years. All because members of her family were unwilling to take her car keys.
    I would urge families and care givers to have the difficult conversations about restricting their loved ones driving when they become a danger to themselves and others.

Comment by BCH — 10:34 am December 20, 2013 #

20. BCH and others – here is a great resource to help you Have the Conversation – about the car, home, care, etc.

It’s difficult. It’s intimidating. It’s necessary.

Comment by Tim Van Liew — 11:01 am December 20, 2013 #

21. For my father, his car represented freedom and independence.
    When he showed signs of dementia, the hardest thing for me was taking away the keys and the car (no reminders or temptation to drive again). There was really no “right time or discussion”. I considered it my responsibility to keep him and my mother safe and to prevent him from harming others. Preventing that kind of tragedy is the best thing you can do.

Comment by Peggy — 12:00 pm December 20, 2013 #

22. So glad he’s safe.

Comment by Laura — 7:15 pm December 20, 2013 #

23. Thanks for the great link Tim. I’m sure this will be very helpful to others.
    Again, I’m very glad this man was found safe without injury to himself or anyone else.

Comment by BCH — 8:07 am December 21, 2013 #