Yet another new Little Free Library opens its door to readers

October 6, 2013 at 7:32 pm | In Seen around town, West Seattle news | 22 Comments

On Saturday, we published Brian’s report about a new Little Free Library in West Seattle; in a comment, Kris mentioned another new one, and a subsequent comment from Gay brought a promise of a photo. Promise kept – there’s the photo above, with this report:

Here is a photo of Alicia’s Little Free Library 8702 located on 48th just south of Eddy [map]. It was built by local woodworker Matt Lukin and made from all reclaimed and scrap materials. It has fir siding with a shake-shingle roof. It is super cute and has seen a lot of action during the first weekend open.

facebook.com/lfl8702

Info on registering an LFL is here. Thanks for sharing the photos (and books)!

ADDED MONDAY: As noted in comments, and the photo-enhanced tweet embedded below, LFL 8702′s crafter has a musical sideline:

1. This is beautiful in so many ways. Thanks for sharing!

Comment by LKT — 8:25 pm October 6, 2013 #

2. I love these tiny libraries!

Comment by Sonoma — 8:45 pm October 6, 2013 #

3. I rode by this little library today on my bike. It was a welcome stopping place coming up the hill! Beautifully made.

Comment by Raincity — 9:02 pm October 6, 2013 #

4. Saw this on my walk this morning with my two (leashed ;) dogs. So unexpected and so cool. It was this little wayside reminder to share more, do more, READ more. Thank you to all who made this possible. It’s in an unlit location out of view, and I just hope vandals leave it be. But the spirit of the effort was touching, come what may.

Comment by chuck and sally's van man — 9:09 pm October 6, 2013 #

5. Not exactly in West Seattle, but just to the SE in South Park is yet another little library of sorts.
    This one passing out free Bibles. Great selection – take your pick.

Comment by kevin — 12:55 am October 7, 2013 #

6. Great cause. Nice job Lukin!!!

Comment by Upper Fauntleroy — 2:47 am October 7, 2013 #

7. Lukin…Carpenter & Musician.

Comment by Dale — 8:37 am October 7, 2013 #

8. I LOVE this idea… I will have one in front of my house within the next year!!

Comment by ttt — 9:03 am October 7, 2013 #

9. I’d been wondering what the story was behind these awesome little boxes. (Drive by one every day in Gatewood.) Is it really bassist Lukin behind the woodwork? That’s even more awesome.

Comment by CB — 10:05 am October 7, 2013 #

10. I just love these things. We recently relocated here from Memphis — Little Free Libraries were popping up all over the place there, too.

Comment by Kelly — 10:09 am October 7, 2013 #

11. Yes, most importantly, is it THAT Matt Lukin?

Comment by Jay — 12:02 pm October 7, 2013 #

12. This tweet would seem to suggest so: https://twitter.com/_Mudhoney/status/387275929925320704
    Sorry I didn’t cross-reference the name! – TR

Comment by WSB — 12:09 pm October 7, 2013 #

13. YES, it is THAT Matt Lukin. He is an amazing woodworker along with being a great musician and all around super duper guy. If you get a chance pop on by and leave a book, take a book or just admire the craftsmanship :) He made a slot on the side that is for LPs

Comment by gay — 12:14 pm October 7, 2013 #

14. There’s also one in White Center at 98th ave SW and 18th ave SW.

Comment by Chris — 1:00 pm October 7, 2013 #

15. I’ve seen a bunch lately in Seaview. Passed this one on my run Saturday. I love seeing them!

Comment by Heather — 1:11 pm October 7, 2013 #

16. These little libraries are so cute. I’m wondering how well they will stand up to the rain though? I hope the wood is protected.

Comment by jeunglady — 1:19 pm October 7, 2013 #

17. I live pretty close to Matt. I would love him to build one in our neck of the woods!

Comment by Jan Pagel — 1:42 pm October 7, 2013 #

18. Another one coming at 34th and Thistle!

Comment by Kelsey — 3:29 pm October 7, 2013 #

19. Hi jeunglady,

Yes, Matt built this to withstand the elements, but we will be keeping a close eye on it as well :)

Comment by gay — 3:46 pm October 7, 2013 #

20. The little free libraries started in Wisconsin and if you follow the building plans on the website, they are built to withstand all sorts of horrible wet winter weather! http://littlefreelibrary.org/

Comment by Amanda — 3:49 pm October 7, 2013 #

21. I saw these on the news a couple years ago and wanted to start them here but my husband told me the vandals would ruin them here in Puget Ridge Neighborhood so we never did do it. I’m so happy to see someone doing it!!

Comment by Michelle — 4:57 pm October 7, 2013 #

22. We are pretty proud of our newish Little Free Library here on the 9000 block of 13th. It is a repurposed Seattle PI box with books for ages 0 on up :)

Comment by HP Gal — 6:19 pm October 7, 2013 #