Here’s why TV helicopters are/were hovering

October 23, 2013 at 5:10 pm | In Helicopter, West Seattle news | 28 Comments

5:10 PM: Just because we have received tons of calls and texts: Police have an operation under way to the south that has drawn TV helicopters. They have been hanging over West Seattle just in case anything happens with said operation. It’s NOT a current West Seattle crime or incident.

6:06 PM: As far as we can tell, this didn’t pan out, and the choppers should be gone.

1. Oh WSB you are so awesome. I just walked outside, looked up – they are directly over my house- to see them. Walked back in and turned on the computer to check the Blog to see what was up. Thanks!

Comment by lina — 5:14 pm October 23, 2013 #

2. Thanks WSB. I was one texter. I appreciate you guys very much.

Comment by AG — 5:15 pm October 23, 2013 #

3. Thanks, they’re right on top of my house and it’s so annoying, my dogs are really agitated

Comment by thansen — 5:16 pm October 23, 2013 #

4. What is “said operation”?

Comment by Matt — 5:18 pm October 23, 2013 #

5. I live on 39th and Henderson and those news choppers have been up there for awhile now. I bet the police doing their operation don’t appreciate the attention the choppers are brining.

Comment by Eric — 5:19 pm October 23, 2013 #

6. I knew I could count on wsb to tell me why they are hovering right over my house!

Comment by sarah — 5:21 pm October 23, 2013 #

7. Gotta love WSB! Thanks.

Comment by Hearh — 5:23 pm October 23, 2013 #

8. Thanks for the quick response…wasn’t sure if I could go outside :)

Comment by ML — 5:24 pm October 23, 2013 #

9. Thanks WSB.

Comment by Eric — 5:34 pm October 23, 2013 #

10. My kids just got out of the Ferry, they saw a police car from Vashon transferring a prisoner to a Seattle PD vehicle.

Comment by NT — 5:35 pm October 23, 2013 #

11. Last time we had this much air cover…Amanda Knox was returning from Italy.

Comment by West Seattle Sun — 5:35 pm October 23, 2013 #

12. The noise from the choppers is unnerving when they are over your house. Who can we call to complain?

Comment by LM — 5:41 pm October 23, 2013 #

13. Call the station whose chopper it is. The “assignment desk” phone number is usually answered 24/7 or close to it.

Comment by WSB — 5:42 pm October 23, 2013 #

14. I was just walking into Walgreen’s in white center when the helicopter was over head scared most of the addicts away that were waiting for their dealers!! We got a huge kick out of that, then all the way down Delridge undercover cars tucked back along streets. Some one is in big trouble get’em SPD!!

Comment by Silly Goose — 5:54 pm October 23, 2013 #

15. what they are doing is more than unnerving and annoying, it is dangerous. as I’m writing this the channel 7 one has moved from the barton/35th area to the middle of arbor heights. there are very few places they could safely land here if they experience an emergency. yeah such an emergency is rare, but at the altitude they are hovering at they won’t get far from where they are before they get down, and most of their choices would be places where there are people.

its not such a big deal when they orbit an area at a decent altitude, but this guy is hovering in place low enough i can pick out the tail number in a photo i took with my camera phone.

Comment by rob — 5:54 pm October 23, 2013 #

16. Let them do their job. They are not hovering their helicopters for fun and games. Why the negativity

Comment by Melissa parson — 6:05 pm October 23, 2013 #

17. I wonder if this is the situation: http://www.king5.com/news/local/Kirkland-Police-investigating-possible-kidnap-and-assault-229016851.html

Comment by Lisa — 6:06 pm October 23, 2013 #

18. Thanks WSB. I’ve been seeing and hearing them since about 4:30. I was shopping at the Westwood QFC and wondering just what was going on. Very annoying.

Comment by AmyB — 6:11 pm October 23, 2013 #

19. In line for ferry at Lincoln Park, three police cars racing around, one in the park.

Comment by dwight mccabe — 6:14 pm October 23, 2013 #

20. Dwight, separate incident. Something about someone hearing a rustling in the bushes.

Comment by WSB — 6:19 pm October 23, 2013 #

21. There oughta be a law. If they want to stay in the area they could climb higher and circle slowly. Hovering down low over my house for 20 minutes straight is disrespectful. Okay if necessary for police helicopters, not for news coverage.

Comment by rocky raccoon — 6:25 pm October 23, 2013 #

22. I don’t mind the choppers. They don’t bother me or my dog. On a side note, I am glad that the Blue Angels will be returning this summer.

Comment by Krm66 — 6:32 pm October 23, 2013 #

23. The helicopters and police left the area because I left the area:)

Comment by Bradley — 6:38 pm October 23, 2013 #

24. RE the separate incident in Lincoln park: I was walking through the park about a half hour ago, a cop car drove down by the water and another cop car was in the park on the top on the trail. Apparently someone broke into a Prius, they were looking for him in the park (White, male, 180 pounds).

Comment by Kae — 6:58 pm October 23, 2013 #

25. Thanks wsb my daughter and I watched while they stood still in one place for atleast 5 min at a time..not annoying but was wondering if they were searching for another flasher and should we be concerned. We watched them move oh so slowly over our apartments and go north up 35th . Turned news on and did not here anything,wsb got to it sooner than they did..My daughter even called 911 to ask if we should be worried,they knew nothing of the choppers up there… Jeanette

Comment by Jeanette Cummings — 7:09 pm October 23, 2013 #

26. Around 4:30, heading east on Roxbury, there was a police car parked in the middle lane, causing traffic to merge into the right lane around him. Just a cop sitting there, as though he was filling out his report. No lights or even hazard lights on. Felt suspicious until I saw the chopper hovering in the sky after I turned on 16th.

Comment by Highline Teacher — 8:33 pm October 23, 2013 #

27. @ Jeannette,

Please teach your daughter that calling 911 as a question line is tying up valuable resources. Check for info here or listen to the free scanners available on-line. The SPD clearly was working hard for a reason. We will be informed about it when it is appropriate for us to know.

Comment by garden_nymph — 9:57 am October 24, 2013 #

28. Just as a postscript, it was apparently related to the incident mentioned in Lisa’s link. They had reason to believe the allegedly abusive boyfriend might have been in the South Delridge Triangle area. Eventually they got different intel that moved the search further south, into other jurisdictions (this wasn’t a Seattle case in the first place) and a TV news report this morning noted that his vehicle has been found at Southcenter:

Comment by WSB — 10:06 am October 24, 2013 #