Milestone for new South Park Bridge, months until completion

September 12, 2013 at 2:18 pm | In South Park, Transportation, West Seattle news | 6 Comments

Another milestone for the new South Park Bridge – the south leaf of its drawspan was put into place this week, somewhat unnoticed until local community activist Bill Pease mentioned it on SP’s lively e-mail list. We went down at midday today to take a look on behalf of WSB and partner site The South Park News (more photos in our report there). In our photo above, you can still see part of the old bridge in the background; meantime, for context, here’s the rendering of what the finished bridge is supposed to look like:

Three years and three months have passed since King County closed the old bridge because of safety concerns; you might recall the farewell “wake” the night it was shut down for good. King County’s current estimate for bridge completion: Spring of next year.

1. Good news. With the bridge re-open, it should ease some traffic problems. But with all the building in South Seattle and West Seattle it might not appear to be of much help. If anything it should help the workers at Boeing, not to mention the Southpark business’.

Comment by let them swim — 4:35 pm September 12, 2013 #

2. Aw too bad I’m on a business trip! That would have been fun to watch out the conference room window. Can finish fast enough, it was a big contingency of me moving to WS.

Comment by trickycoolj — 5:09 pm September 12, 2013 #

3. I CANT WAIT. Trying to get to and from one of my jobs after they tore down the old bridge was so bad I finally had to quit. What used to take about 20 minutes started to take 1 1/2 hrs to 3 hours to try and get the hell out of here. Just one more example of how Seattle has ass backwards attempted to deal with roads and traffic.

Comment by sophista-tiki — 5:20 pm September 12, 2013 #

4. I was there the day it closed and am fully giddy thinking it will rise again. Go South Park!

Comment by AB — 10:43 pm September 12, 2013 #

5. @sophista-tiki you need to return your GPS.

Comment by dale — 11:13 pm September 12, 2013 #

6. its rediculous that your only reference to driving is a GPS. I’ve lived here for nearly 30 yrs. I do have an actual clue of how to get to where I need to be which is also why I know that traffic is completely screwed.

Comment by sophista-tiki — 4:31 pm September 13, 2013 #