West Seattle restaurant notes: Alki Subway; Athena’s; Firefly Café

August 27, 2013 at 11:19 am | In West Seattle news, West Seattle restaurants | 10 Comments

Three quick notes this midday:

ALKI SUBWAY OPEN: While at the beach for a quick walk this morning, we noticed that, after a couple days’ delay, the new Subway at 2758 Alki SW is open, so we popped in to photograph the team. It’s the fifth Subway in West Seattle, as noted here when we first reported exactly three months ago that it was on the way. (P.S. Just after publishing this, we noticed Subway tweeted it’s just opened its 40,000th restaurant worldwide. Checking to see if this was #40,000.)

ATHENA’S: Several people have asked us lately about the status of Athena’s at 16th and Holden in Highland Park, since its windows are papered over and it hasn’t been open for a while. As we’ve mentioned in direct replies, its Facebook page mentioned a few weeks back that while the truck is out and about, the bricks-and-mortar location would be closed “due to construction” until net month.

FIREFLY CAFE & CREPERIE: Firefly (a WSB sponsor) at California/Genesee has new hours as of this week – 7 am-4 pm Mondays-Fridays, 8 am-5 pm weekends.

1. Crepes as early as 7 a.m. Great news!

Comment by onion — 2:40 pm August 27, 2013 #

2. Welcome to Alki, this is a great location for Subway, I think you are going to do very well.

Comment by Silly Goose — 3:30 pm August 27, 2013 #

3. Subway website already touts 40,051 locations. Ipswich, England gets the 40,000 honor.

Comment by J — 4:10 pm August 27, 2013 #

4. Probably the last place I would eat a sandwich in seattle, but welcome I guess…

Comment by Marcus M — 8:15 pm August 27, 2013 #

5. I was wondering about Athena’s. Thanks!

Comment by lyndab — 9:44 pm August 27, 2013 #

6. Does Firefly just want to go out of business? They are only open when most people are at work. I’ve seen more than one cafe go under with those hours.

Comment by Lynne — 6:19 am August 28, 2013 #

7. Its perfect for west seattle that a small business is struggling while a corporate chain opens its fifth location. So much for keeping it local WS!

Comment by Planet Plastic — 7:47 am August 28, 2013 #

8. I’d also been wondering about Athena’s (we’re almost across the street, a very easy walk). Checked things out and saw their Facebook info. So, hoping they open soon. We’re speculating about “construction,” maybe it’s going to be air conditioning/fans? It does get very hot in there.

Comment by Amy B — 4:08 pm August 28, 2013 #

9. sorry….not a fan of firefly….seems like everything is premade, cramped and just a dissapointment. subway…eh….and then a fat burger on alki also….hum.

Comment by RJB — 7:04 pm August 29, 2013 #

10. I really wonder about Firefly’s decision to close so early and missing the after work crowd. I stopped by once to pick something up for my dinner, but I guess I won’t be doing that again. What I had was good, but the crepe choices are very limited and pricey. Not excited about Subway and have never been to Athena’s.

Comment by Ray West — 9:58 am August 30, 2013 #