Apologies yet again

August 1, 2013 at 10:30 pm | In West Seattle news, West Seattle online | 19 Comments

We are in the “you can’t make omelets without breaking a few eggs” technical mode – that’s no excuse, but there’s really nothing else we can say about being offline for a few hours. Some people had trouble seeing the site earlier in the day too – and that has to do with the nature of the problem, which involved the ultimate destination you’re pointed to when you ask your computer or phone to take you here. As of right now, everything’s pointed to the correct place. It’s been a fairly quiet day, so you haven’t missed much, but again, we’re sorry – even on slow days, we work hard to have interesting information here, updated at least every few hours, so we’re behind now and we’ll be catching up on a few things overnight as a result. – Tracy & Patrick, WSB co-publishers

1. Well, ok then. Next time you owe me ice cream :)

Comment by Heather — 11:09 pm August 1, 2013 #

2. No worries, guys. Everything needs a little maintenance now and then……thanks for all your hard work!

Comment by David — 6:39 am August 2, 2013 #

3. You’re still the best news source around!

Comment by Mary — 7:27 am August 2, 2013 #

4. Five 9s uptime is for the big boys, with BIG budgets. You guys are doing just fine.

Comment by RickB — 7:47 am August 2, 2013 #

5. Maybe it’s time to change your hosting service provider. Your incoming network traffic shouldn’t be black-holed.

Comment by petert — 7:57 am August 2, 2013 #

6. Apologies are not necessary. What you do is amazing and I for one greatly appreciate all you give me. We’re talking computers here: they often take off in their own direction.

Comment by Kayla Weiner — 9:33 am August 2, 2013 #

7. Really, we love you guys enough that your itty bitty tiny oversight doesn’t really matter. You guys make such a difference in our community and lives. Thanks so much for all you do and don’t sweat the small stuff😎

Comment by Kathi — 9:40 am August 2, 2013 #

8. No problems here…you are an AMAZING example of an extremely helpful, vital community news source…waaaay better than ye olde town crier…and I applaud what you do to anyone who will listen to me! Yes, it was frustrating to lose access to the wonderful news feed you provide but it only served to remind me just how much I count on you for current happenings in West Seattle. You’re the best!

Comment by Sheila Gustafson — 9:44 am August 2, 2013 #

9. Stuff happens. Pester wiredtree to make sure they keep the TTL (time to live) short (looks like it’s 3 minutes now) which is crazy short, but it’s fine. The overhead cost to them should be negligible but will make any IP change — assuming that’s what happened — mostly transparent unless a crappy ISP beyond your control is caching longer.

Comment by Joe Szilagyi — 9:59 am August 2, 2013 #

10. I concur with others that no apology is needed. I just switched to your Facebook postings. Thanks for all your hard work getting it back online so quickly!

Comment by Chris W — 10:00 am August 2, 2013 #

11. What everyone else has said.

I believe yesterday, on the WSB FB page, someone commented about going through WSB withdrawals. That’s the only issue for me! ;-)

Mike

Comment by miws — 12:35 pm August 2, 2013 #

12. I agree with the previous Mike.

Comment by Mike — 12:52 pm August 2, 2013 #

13. Do you guys ever sleep?

Comment by linda — 3:13 pm August 2, 2013 #

14. Of course! Our small but efficient team includes an early-bird and two night owls. And if there’s ever a time without somebody awake – we have a good backup system of alerts triggered by certain types of police/fire calls. Of course nothing EVER beats the reader text/voice call 24/7 – helicopter? lots of sirens? flames? crash? something else happening NOW? – at 206-293-6302! – Tracy

Comment by WSB — 3:46 pm August 2, 2013 #

15. How about vacations? It appears that you never leave WS.

Comment by E — 3:52 pm August 2, 2013 #

16. Most recently, we went to Southern California in April. It’s easy to work from the road, and we have people back here too.

Comment by WSB — 4:08 pm August 2, 2013 #

17. Lol! I’ve always wondered about your personal lives! I feel like you sit in front of a computer 24/7 and someone brings you bread and butter:-). You should write a story about your business. I feel like I know you but I don’t;-)

Comment by Gahh! — 5:52 pm August 2, 2013 #

18. I also feel like I know you! I support your advertisers when I shop or eat out, but do you have an online tip jar? Do you accept gift cards for appreciation? Do you have an Amazon associate account? A kickstarter? How can we readers support you?

Comment by Gabby — 4:16 pm August 3, 2013 #

19. Kind of you to ask. We sometimes toy with the idea of offering voluntary subscriptions, as so many news services are doing now, but are not really ready (yet?) to spend time and energy wheedling for dollars … that said, we continue to work toward the dream of being able to afford another full-time news reporter, and every cent helps. We have no investors, no rich relatives, no side jobs, this has run entirely off ad revenue for almost six years (and THANK YOU for supporting the community businesses who advertise here!)
    The “tip jar” left over from our one and only pledge drive before we went commercial in 2007 is still in the sidebar, currently below the “badge” for our 2012 Muni League award, right over the “categories” list … clicking on “Support WSB” takes you to PayPal and offers the open-ended option of “contribute toward the operation of WSB” (it’s headed A Drink of Water and a Story Interactive, which is our LLC’s name from long ago) … TR

Comment by WSB — 5:14 pm August 3, 2013 #