Followup: Plant pots donated for Arbor Heights’ tomato project

March 29, 2013 at 1:06 pm | In Gardening, West Seattle news, West Seattle schools | 8 Comments

(Photo by WSB co-publisher Patrick Sand)
Yet another great example of generosity: We wrote on Thursday about the call for one-gallon plant-pot donations for the tomato-growing project in which Arbor Heights Elementary teacher Marcia Ingerslev and her students learn, teach, and share – and about an hour ago, that call was answered, big time! Our photo includes some of the donors as well as excited tomato-farming students. (We’ll be adding a few photos from parent volunteers who were there too – THANK YOU!)

1. “Children are the world’s most valuable resource and its best hope for the future”

John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    (American 35th US President (1917-1963)

Comment by sc — 1:23 pm March 29, 2013 #

2. Thanks for your excellent lessons, Mrs. I! Thanks for the tomato plants, charitable donors! Way to go, Augie–looking good!

Comment by Justin — 3:30 pm March 29, 2013 #

3. Is Ms. Ingerslev still accepting pots? I have some to donate but don’t want to leave them over the weekend.

Comment by Nizzle — 4:47 pm March 29, 2013 #

4. When I first saw the headline, I read “Pot Plants donated…” I know we just legalized pot, but this seemed a bit much :-)

Comment by Twobottles — 6:02 pm March 29, 2013 #

5. Thank you to everyone who brought pots to our school. I believe we will have enough for our project this year. The people who came were so kind and encouraging. I am humbled by the response. We have been offered soil. I just need to figure out where to put it. Again, thank you for your support.

Comment by Marcia Ingerslev — 7:56 pm March 29, 2013 #

6. Hi Marcia,

Thank you for this awesome student project.

One way to store soil in a small space and make it mobile is to use garbage cans on wheels (and the lid keeps the soil from getting too saturated.) My neighbors, Shawna and Marc, and I are happy to purchase two such plastic garbage cans if and when you are ready for them. Please email me at furryfaces@hotmail.com. Cheers, Teri

Comment by Teri Ensley — 11:04 am March 30, 2013 #

7. Marcia,

If what Teri suggested would work we will also deliver the 2 cans with soil!

Shawna

Comment by sc — 11:38 am March 30, 2013 #

8. To TwoBottles: Glad to know I’m not the only one whose mind sees “pot plants” every time my eyes read “plant pots”. What’s that say about us?

Comment by Bryan — 11:42 am March 30, 2013 #