Want to volunteer with Seal Sitters? RSVP for March 9 training

February 24, 2013 at 12:21 pm | In How to help, West Seattle news, Wildlife | 5 Comments

(Seal Sitters photo by Robin Lindsey)
You’ve probably seen the familiar yellow tape and traffic cones on the shore, marking the perimeter around a resting seal or sea lion, with at least As Seal SittersRobin Lindsey mentioned at The Whale Trail‘s orca (and more) talk this past Thursday, the next volunteer-training session is scheduled for March 9th, and you are invited to RSVP ASAP if you are interested. One particular point of interest from Robin:

Unlike most marine mammal stranding networks, Seal Sitters encourages children to participate. It is very empowering for a child to learn about our fragile ecosystem and be able to do something to protect seals and other marine mammals.

The e-mail link for RSVPs is in this announcement on the Seal Sitters’ site, which also includes location/time details.

1. I’ve been a Seal Sitter for the past year & it’s been an amazing experience, I highly recommend it if you have the time :)

Comment by Crystal — 7:30 pm February 24, 2013 #

2. These people rule and I hope to aide them whenever possible, see you soon.

Comment by AlkiSpeakeasy — 7:38 pm February 24, 2013 #

3. I love Seal Sitting. Not only do I get to protect these fragile pups, but I get to visit with neighbors and fellow Sitters like Crystal. Win win. And the views are amazing. :)

Comment by ChrisW — 9:28 pm February 24, 2013 #

4. I also highly recommend seal sitting.
    It has been a great experience for my daughter and I to volunteer with Seal Sitters. They are an incredibly dedicated and knowledgeable organization and being on the beach protecting our local wildlife is truly an honor!

Comment by Dana V. — 12:40 pm February 25, 2013 #

5. Dear Seal Sitters:

Please don’t block the entire path or even 1/2 of the path. That combined with a half dozen or so of you standing around makes it impossible to get through on a run. You have blocked the beach with bright tape, you’re impossible to miss. You have accomplished your task and I respect it. Please respect me and allow my dog and I to get through without having to stop and walk because you have blocked a majority of the path. Thanks

Comment by Big G — 10:47 am February 26, 2013 #