West Seattle businesses: New CrossFit gym in The Junction

January 8, 2013 at 1:07 pm | In Health, West Seattle businesses, West Seattle news | 19 Comments

(Photo courtesy CrossFit LOFT)
CrossFit West Seattle opened in Admiral in 2009 … Morgan Junction CrossFit opened last October … and now West Seattle has a third CrossFit gym. We got word that CrossFit LOFT has just opened on the north edge of The Junction, 4142 California SW (behind Cherry Consignment, across the alley from Holy Rosary). Owners Bethany Pappas and Brandon Wicks are both veterans of the West Seattle restaurant scene (at Ma’ono and Mashiko, respectively) as well as veteran fitness coaches; Bethany tells WSB that all their coaches “are WS locals.” CrossFit (explained here) was founded more than a decade ago and has more than 4,500 affiliated gyms.

1. welcome to the neighborhood guys!

Comment by CrossFit West Seattle — 2:33 pm January 8, 2013 #

2. Awesome guys!!!! So proud of you.

Comment by Kelly — 3:45 pm January 8, 2013 #

3. Wow, another Crossfit gym. Is there this much demand?
    Anyone know how the gyms differ? To any crossfitters – why is the gym membership so much more expensive than the Y or AllStar?

Comment by Curious... — 3:54 pm January 8, 2013 #

4. With all the sugary fat, calorie cupcake’s and coffee houses around, there can never be enough gym’s.

Comment by ineedmytwinkiesnow — 8:11 pm January 8, 2013 #

5. @Curious

There is a lot of demand for CrossFit and you will continue to see yet another (4 in total) CrossFit gym open in West Seattle in the very near future. A membership at a CrossFit gym run properly provides an extreme sense of belonging and accountability for the member. People that try it out for a month or two typically feel like the cost is very justifiable. The biggest difference between CrossFit and other gyms is that you get personalized attention in a small group class setting. Most gyms require a long term commitment and count on you not to show up, whereas a CrossFit gym doesn’t need any commitment besides showing up at the gym to do the workout of the day. In short, CrossFit makes it easy for one to incorporate exercise into their weekly routine on a consistent basis.

Comment by Eric R. — 8:55 pm January 8, 2013 #

6. Brandon’s a great guy, and his fitness transformation is inspiring. Congrats, guys, and good luck!

Comment by DJS — 9:11 pm January 8, 2013 #

7. Curious:
    You should stop by for one of their open gyms to get an idea of what makes the more expensive membership worth it. I know Brandon and Bethany and can attest to their quality as coaches. And CrossFit generally is an excellent wellness program which incorporates more than just working out. There is a significant emphasis on nutrition and community, arguably both more important than what kind of exercise you do.

Comment by Ryan C — 10:27 pm January 8, 2013 #

8. Are they going to give a discount or a free class for members who have never tried it?? I’ve always wanted to but didn’t want to sign up for a month.

Comment by Sara — 11:55 pm January 8, 2013 #

9. Don’t compare the cost to a gym membership – compare it to working with a personal trainer. It feels like belonging to a club where people know / recognize you when you walk in, encourage you when you’re getting pooped and cheer you on when you’re cranking it. The exercise is the most comprehensive and effective I’ve ever engaged in. It’s also the most mentally positive exercise environment I’ve ever experienced.

Comment by Heather — 7:07 am January 9, 2013 #

10. Sara, you can usually show up to a class and try it out for free (just call first to let them know).

Comment by Heather — 7:09 am January 9, 2013 #

11. I’ve been doing Crossfit for a year now and I can’t imagine going back to a boring gym routine (weight machines and elliptical). Trust me, the cost is so worth it. I have more energy and I feel stronger.

Comment by Jennifer — 8:35 am January 9, 2013 #

12. I think CrossFit is overrated, there isn’t a point of people with varying skillsets, limitations, etc. doing movements that could potentially cause injury. For example, a 16 year old girl, a dude in his twenties who had shoulder surgery, and a 60 year old gentleman all doing a power clean – fitness needs to be individualized, not done in group settings. This is why I prefer training martial arts and working with a personal trainer rather than CrossFit. Been there, done that. It’s good for a lot of younger, healthy individuals, but for someone like me who’s had numerous issues even though I’m in good physical shape, doesn’t work.

With that said, I wish you guys the best of luck in your endeavors!

Comment by Tom — 11:35 am January 9, 2013 #

13. I was wondering about that Tom. Could, say, a middle-aged person not in good shape start at CrossFit, or be completely out of place? I see the people at the one by Admiral and think “damn, it would be fun but I would be SO out of place”.

Comment by fj — 4:09 pm January 9, 2013 #

14. I am a middle aged guy that is not in great shape and I think CrossFit is great. Its tough but rewarding. To me, its kind of like an intense gym class at school. The right trainer can make a session work for all skill/experience levels. But, like all forms of exercise (jogging, swimming, aerobics, weight training, martial arts, tennis, zumba…) its an individual taste thing. I like it, but my wife doesn’t. If you’re curious, give it a try. Otherwise, just do whatever exercise floats your boat.

Comment by alkiobserver — 5:11 pm January 9, 2013 #

15. Oh, and good luck to these folks with new gym! Encouraging to see new businesses starting up!

Comment by alkiobserver — 5:12 pm January 9, 2013 #

16. I SO wish I could afford crossfit

Comment by Melanie — 5:38 pm January 9, 2013 #

17. @fj

About 40 percent of our members are middle aged and out of shape when they first come in. A few folks are so out of shape that it’s tough for them to make it through the warm up. Those same people usually see the most dramatic results in the shortest amount of time. We continually have people tell us that CrossFit has changed their life for the best. We do understand that it is intimidating to walk through the door but we promise that if you do make it in that you will not be disappointed. Please come in and give it a shot, the first class is free and there is no obligation. We also do not have any contracts so people stay because they want to…

Comment by CrossFit West Seattle — 8:16 pm January 9, 2013 #

18. Crossfit is awesome. One of the reasons that it is so great is that it can be scaled to anyone at any level. My 13 year old brother Crossfits. My mom 50 year old Crossfits. I know a 70 year old that Crossfits. Trust me, if you can get yourself in the door, you can do it. Give it a shot – I promise you’ll learn something, meet new friends, and feel a difference in your body. If nothing else, stop in and say hi. We’d love to show you around.

If you’re interested in giving Crossfit Loft a chance, all you need to do is call or email us to set up a time to try your first workout.

Comment by Chelsea — 10:48 pm January 9, 2013 #

19. awesome, very encouraging and thank you for the feedback. I will certainly try it when I get back from out-of-town business.

Comment by fj — 5:13 pm January 10, 2013 #