TRAFFIC/TRANSIT TODAY: Thursday’s updates

November 1, 2012 at 6:58 am | In West Seattle news, West Seattle traffic alerts | 13 Comments

(Live view from the only WS Bridge camera currently in operation; see other cameras on the WSB Traffic page)
6:58 AM: Nothing major so far. Thanks in advance again for your reports throughout the day.

7:25 AM: From Jana via Twitter: Stalled vehicle on the bridge, and an ambulance. (Update – apparently the ambulance was headed elsewhere, which explains why there’s nothing on the 911 log; the car, however, was stuck at the high-rise, “right at the merge point.”)

8:55 AM: Scanner has word of a possible spinout on southbound 99 near the West Seattle Bridge.

1. @56 riders. After taking the 57 eastbound ~7:30 am the last 4 days I see a noticeable difference in ridership, with 57 always open. I suggest adjusting schedules a bit and taking alternate 57 if you’re too crowded on the 56.

Comment by Glenn — 7:30 am November 1, 2012 #

2. The thing I am not liking about the RR is the lack of a schedule means more often than not, I see the RR pass as I am about a 1/2 block away from my stop. The next one comes somewhere between 2 minutes and 25 minutes with the digital sign mockingly stating obvious absurdities. I sorely miss the 54X.

Comment by CandrewB — 8:15 am November 1, 2012 #

3. Did something happen to the Rachel Marie, or is she just out for inspection?

Comment by gina — 9:31 am November 1, 2012 #

4. 3 weeks in the shipyard. Maintenance, I believe.

Comment by WSB — 9:47 am November 1, 2012 #

5. I have spent a ridiculous amount of time waiting for buses with the RapidRide system. As CAndrewB says, no schedule means no ability to correctly time our departures from home and work. Most evenings I’ve waited 20+ minutes for a C line to appear at 3rd and Cedar. What a waste! Any time saved by a quicker trip through WS is eliminated by the absurd wait times at bus stops. Every 10-15 minutes is not happening. One Bus Away is useless for RR buses. Bring back the schedules!

Comment by Lizzzzle — 10:33 am November 1, 2012 #

6. I would like to second everything CandrewB said. Having an real schedule would be the first step to making the RR useful.

Comment by Tuesday — 11:03 am November 1, 2012 #

7. Absolutely. The 21 has a schedule, and seems to run every 15 minutes. As Scheduled.

Comment by WS — 11:39 am November 1, 2012 #

8. Agree about the lack of shedules for RR. I’ve had the same experience of just missing a bus since I’ve no idea when the secheduled arrival time at any given stop is. With the old 54 I know that during the day is was about every 30 min. and could plan on what time
    to leave the house. Not knowing when the bus will arrive frequently increases commute time. Does anyone know wht time each run acutally starts? I guess it just makes it easy for Metro– no bus is ever late!

Comment by elma — 3:00 pm November 1, 2012 #

9. Elma, I’m sure someone at Metro has a secret all-day schedule but they only offer us the early morning and late night times. This gem from Metro’s website makes me laugh (and then cry):

“This is Metro’s fastest and easiest way to travel, with service so frequent you don’t even need a schedule. We know your time is important and designed RapidRide to help you get the most out of your day.”

Comment by Lizzzzle — 3:27 pm November 1, 2012 #

10. Regarding lack of schedules: I suggest contacting chris.arkills@kingcounty.gov . Per yesterdays comment thread, he’s working with Constantine on solutions but I think has overlooked perhaps the easiest one on just getting reliable information to passengers so we can adapt on the fly.

Comment by Glenn — 6:04 pm November 1, 2012 #

11. Regarding lack of schedules: I suggest contacting chris.arkills AT kingcounty.gov . Per yesterdays comment thread, he’s working with Constantine on solutions but I think has overlooked perhaps the easiest one on just getting reliable information to passengers so we can adapt on the fly.

Comment by Glenn — 6:04 pm November 1, 2012 #

12. I also like riding the #57 in the mornings. I’ve ridden the 7:22 am at Calif/Admiral. Plenty of seats. Arrive at the Union Street Post Office in twenty minutes.
    The only bad thing is the evening commute. The 56/57 is very unreliable after 5:30 pm going back to WS.

Comment by zipline — 7:44 pm November 1, 2012 #

13. Kind of silly, but I would love to tell Tracy Taylor on King 5 to stop telling the people in the jams on NB I-5 to use 599 and the 1st ave bridge. I have a 5 mile commute to Boeing and when TracyT says to use 599 it takes me half an hour to go to work. It’s almost comical how predictable it is when I hear her say “back up NB I-5 at Boeing field take 599 to the 1st ave bridge!” and I have to go to Tukwilla just to get to work 5 miles away. /end rant

At least there isn’t a viable bus ride to work so I can avoid metro’s current nonsense.

Comment by trickycoolj — 10:55 pm November 1, 2012 #