West Seattle restaurants: New owner, name for Brickyard BBQ

September 7, 2012 at 4:14 pm | In West Seattle news, West Seattle restaurants | 26 Comments

Another change in the Admiral District restaurant scene, in addition to the upcoming Copper Coin (here’s our 8/16 report on that): Brickyard BBQ at 2308 California SW has a new owner and will soon have a new name. José Prieto, who with his family owns Guadalajara Mexican Restaurant in Fauntleroy, took over Brickyard on September 1st. He says it too will soon be called Guadalajara Mexican Restaurant (after the city in Mexico that he’s from). He told WSB’s Katie Meyer that he thinks the place has potential, so he wants to clean it up and fix it up to have more of a “family atmosphere,” though he’s keeping its bar. A Mexican menu will be added next month, but barbecue, he says, will also stay on the menu at least through the winter. Hours: 11:30 am-10 pm Mondays-Thursdays, 11:30 am-midnight Fridays-Saturdays, noon-10:30 pm Sundays, with lunch specials daily and happy hour 3-6 pm weekdays. (We’ll be updating the WSB West Seattle Restaurant Guide with the new info. Thanks to Frank for the tip on the Brickyard change!)

1. This makes no sense. Mission (Mexican) is right across the street. Lame.

Comment by Jack — 5:11 pm September 7, 2012 #

2. Love Guadalajara – the first Mexican restaurant I ever patronized, way back in the 70s in downtown Seattle.

Comment by Mike — 5:13 pm September 7, 2012 #

3. I have to say, “boo” to this. I love Guadalajara, but the Brickyard fit perfectly in that spot. Good BBQ, good beers, and just a fun, relaxed environment. There’s already a Mexican-ish place across the street.

Comment by John — 5:23 pm September 7, 2012 #

4. Ooooooh we love Guadalajara in Fauntleroy!! Good luck you guys on your new venture!!

Comment by Nitro — 5:49 pm September 7, 2012 #

5. I love, love, love Mexican food- but I hate to see the Brickyard go. I really dug the place.

Comment by Wallace — 6:16 pm September 7, 2012 #

6. Congratulations Jose and to your whole family! We love Guadalajara in Fauntleroy. Great food, great staff and they support the local community in many, many ways. Hopefully Guadalajara will be embraced by the Admiral community as it has been for so many years by Fauntleroy.

Comment by KP — 6:44 pm September 7, 2012 #

7. Now if Yen War and the Admiral Pub would go away, maybe, just maybe, it would eliminate the drunken sleeze they both attract in the evenings.

Comment by Miles — 6:49 pm September 7, 2012 #

8. I second that, Miles.

Comment by Mike — 7:35 pm September 7, 2012 #

9. The Admiral district needs a place with good Mexican food! Look forward to checking it out…

Comment by MaggiesMom — 8:34 pm September 7, 2012 #

10. Mission has delicious food across the street!

Comment by cmc — 9:57 pm September 7, 2012 #

11. Love Guadalajara! Have spent many happy hours at the restaurant in Fauntleroy. Congrats Jose and family!

Comment by Brontosaurus — 10:20 pm September 7, 2012 #

12. Wow, I had no idea people actually went to the one in Fauntleroy. Always looks deserted. Agree with others that this area good BBQ more than another Mexican restaurant.

Comment by Laconique — 6:37 am September 8, 2012 #

13. Guadalajara is great; Admiral should be happy. Don’t cry for Brickyard. The BBQ was inedible and the service was notoriously awful.

If you want real BBQ, go to Jones, on Fauntleroy. Although I see they’re changing ownership, too. Let’s hope they don’t change the recipes!

Comment by VNG — 6:39 am September 8, 2012 #

14. Side note, VNG, since you mentioned it, we’ve been trying to reach someone for comment on what the impending (per note on door) change means to the WS restaurant, and once we finally get someone who can tell us, we’ll have a separate update … TR

Comment by WSB — 7:03 am September 8, 2012 #

15. Wow, what a shame. From unique to ordinary is not something to celebrate. Loved the outdoor aspect, horseshoe pits and music. So many places for a Mexican restaurant to go…across the street for one. Too bad.

Comment by chris — 9:05 am September 8, 2012 #

16. I am glad to see the Brickyard go. I hope the loud music goes away too. Way too loud way too late.

Comment by newnative — 9:32 am September 8, 2012 #

17. Bummer! Really enjoyed the Brickyard food and atmosphere.

Comment by chris h — 10:18 am September 8, 2012 #

18. I’ve heard from a friend who drove by it that the Jones on Fauntleroy appears to be closing, so we may be bereft of any good BBQ in West Seattle:(.

I went to Brickyard once-good not great BBQ, delicious Jalepeno corn bread and they had the TV turned on to an NHL game–a rarity for Seattle bars and restaurants.

Comment by East Coast Cynic — 10:35 am September 8, 2012 #

19. @Miles, I resemble that remark!

Comment by Guy — 2:14 pm September 8, 2012 #

20. @ East Coast Cynic, the notice up on Jones Barbecue says they’re under new ownership, are renovating, and will re-open Sept. 15. There was also a memory on their door last month that their founder had died.

I guess we’ll see what happens. I haven’t really seen any renovation activity when I go by there, but that doesn’t mean it might not be going on at another time.

Comment by West Seattle since 1979 — 8:07 pm September 8, 2012 #

21. Guy, maybe you could sing The Who’s, I Can See for Miles at the next Yen Wor karaoke event. ;-)

Mike

Comment by miws — 8:20 pm September 8, 2012 #

22. OMG the brickyard has great ribs great food and service!! If you have not seen the NEW ownership now is the time to go!! Plans in works to bring some of the Guadalajara favorites!! Great atmosphere!! We are coming back again and again!!

Comment by James — 8:47 pm September 8, 2012 #

23. I love that place Annie ONeil plays there she is great , last time I was there was a friday night , people are so nice there and the music is vantasic!

Comment by LMA — 1:21 pm September 9, 2012 #

24. Of all the places to take over The Brickyard, the single worst Mexican restaurant we’ve ever been to in all of Seattle. Canned sauce, probably canned meat, warmed-over store-bought chips, lackluster salsa, lukewarm food and lousy service. The only redeemable thing about Guadlacrappa are the to-go containers—which, for the life of me, I can’t even understand why we got in the first place. Oh yeah, now I remember: to give to the rats in the alley. Because even the dog deserves better.

Comment by OP — 9:27 am September 10, 2012 #

25. I say boo to this too.

Comment by Val — 1:21 am September 15, 2012 #

26. Very sorry to see Brickyard BBQ leave. The new owners have already taken the food and service to the same sub-standard level of their Fauntleroy location. Blech!

Comment by enviromaven — 10:47 pm September 17, 2012 #