West Seattle restaurants: New owner, name for Brickyard BBQ

Another change in the Admiral District restaurant scene, in addition to the upcoming Copper Coin (here’s our 8/16 report on that): Brickyard BBQ at 2308 California SW has a new owner and will soon have a new name. José Prieto, who with his family owns Guadalajara Mexican Restaurant in Fauntleroy, took over Brickyard on September 1st. He says it too will soon be called Guadalajara Mexican Restaurant (after the city in Mexico that he’s from). He told WSB’s Katie Meyer that he thinks the place has potential, so he wants to clean it up and fix it up to have more of a “family atmosphere,” though he’s keeping its bar. A Mexican menu will be added next month, but barbecue, he says, will also stay on the menu at least through the winter. Hours: 11:30 am-10 pm Mondays-Thursdays, 11:30 am-midnight Fridays-Saturdays, noon-10:30 pm Sundays, with lunch specials daily and happy hour 3-6 pm weekdays. (We’ll be updating the WSB West Seattle Restaurant Guide with the new info. Thanks to Frank for the tip on the Brickyard change!)

26 Replies to "West Seattle restaurants: New owner, name for Brickyard BBQ"

• comment-avatar
    Jack September 7, 2012 (5:11 pm)

This makes no sense. Mission (Mexican) is right across the street. Lame.

• comment-avatar
    Mike September 7, 2012 (5:13 pm)

Love Guadalajara – the first Mexican restaurant I ever patronized, way back in the 70s in downtown Seattle.

• comment-avatar
    John September 7, 2012 (5:23 pm)

I have to say, “boo” to this. I love Guadalajara, but the Brickyard fit perfectly in that spot. Good BBQ, good beers, and just a fun, relaxed environment. There’s already a Mexican-ish place across the street.

• comment-avatar
    Nitro September 7, 2012 (5:49 pm)

Ooooooh we love Guadalajara in Fauntleroy!! Good luck you guys on your new venture!!

• comment-avatar
    Wallace September 7, 2012 (6:16 pm)

I love, love, love Mexican food- but I hate to see the Brickyard go. I really dug the place.

• comment-avatar
    KP September 7, 2012 (6:44 pm)

Congratulations Jose and to your whole family! We love Guadalajara in Fauntleroy. Great food, great staff and they support the local community in many, many ways. Hopefully Guadalajara will be embraced by the Admiral community as it has been for so many years by Fauntleroy.

• comment-avatar
    Miles September 7, 2012 (6:49 pm)

Now if Yen War and the Admiral Pub would go away, maybe, just maybe, it would eliminate the drunken sleeze they both attract in the evenings.

• comment-avatar
    Mike September 7, 2012 (7:35 pm)

I second that, Miles.

• comment-avatar
    MaggiesMom September 7, 2012 (8:34 pm)

The Admiral district needs a place with good Mexican food! Look forward to checking it out…

• comment-avatar
    cmc September 7, 2012 (9:57 pm)

Mission has delicious food across the street!

• comment-avatar
    Brontosaurus September 7, 2012 (10:20 pm)

Love Guadalajara! Have spent many happy hours at the restaurant in Fauntleroy. Congrats Jose and family!

• comment-avatar
    Laconique September 8, 2012 (6:37 am)

Wow, I had no idea people actually went to the one in Fauntleroy. Always looks deserted. Agree with others that this area good BBQ more than another Mexican restaurant.

• comment-avatar
    VNG September 8, 2012 (6:39 am)

Guadalajara is great; Admiral should be happy. Don’t cry for Brickyard. The BBQ was inedible and the service was notoriously awful.

If you want real BBQ, go to Jones, on Fauntleroy. Although I see they’re changing ownership, too. Let’s hope they don’t change the recipes!

• comment-avatar
      WSB September 8, 2012 (7:03 am)

Side note, VNG, since you mentioned it, we’ve been trying to reach someone for comment on what the impending (per note on door) change means to the WS restaurant, and once we finally get someone who can tell us, we’ll have a separate update … TR

• comment-avatar
    chris September 8, 2012 (9:05 am)

Wow, what a shame. From unique to ordinary is not something to celebrate. Loved the outdoor aspect, horseshoe pits and music. So many places for a Mexican restaurant to go…across the street for one. Too bad.

• comment-avatar
    newnative September 8, 2012 (9:32 am)

I am glad to see the Brickyard go. I hope the loud music goes away too. Way too loud way too late.

• comment-avatar
    chris h September 8, 2012 (10:18 am)

Bummer! Really enjoyed the Brickyard food and atmosphere.

• comment-avatar
    East Coast Cynic September 8, 2012 (10:35 am)

I’ve heard from a friend who drove by it that the Jones on Fauntleroy appears to be closing, so we may be bereft of any good BBQ in West Seattle:(.

I went to Brickyard once-good not great BBQ, delicious Jalepeno corn bread and they had the TV turned on to an NHL game–a rarity for Seattle bars and restaurants.

• comment-avatar
    Guy September 8, 2012 (2:14 pm)

@Miles, I resemble that remark!

• comment-avatar
    West Seattle since 1979 September 8, 2012 (8:07 pm)

@ East Coast Cynic, the notice up on Jones Barbecue says they’re under new ownership, are renovating, and will re-open Sept. 15. There was also a memory on their door last month that their founder had died.

I guess we’ll see what happens. I haven’t really seen any renovation activity when I go by there, but that doesn’t mean it might not be going on at another time.

• comment-avatar
    miws September 8, 2012 (8:20 pm)

Guy, maybe you could sing The Who’s, I Can See for Miles at the next Yen Wor karaoke event. ;-)

Mike

• comment-avatar
    James September 8, 2012 (8:47 pm)

OMG the brickyard has great ribs great food and service!! If you have not seen the NEW ownership now is the time to go!! Plans in works to bring some of the Guadalajara favorites!! Great atmosphere!! We are coming back again and again!!

• comment-avatar
    LMA September 9, 2012 (1:21 pm)

I love that place Annie ONeil plays there she is great , last time I was there was a friday night , people are so nice there and the music is vantasic!

• comment-avatar
    OP September 10, 2012 (9:27 am)

Of all the places to take over The Brickyard, the single worst Mexican restaurant we’ve ever been to in all of Seattle. Canned sauce, probably canned meat, warmed-over store-bought chips, lackluster salsa, lukewarm food and lousy service. The only redeemable thing about Guadlacrappa are the to-go containers—which, for the life of me, I can’t even understand why we got in the first place. Oh yeah, now I remember: to give to the rats in the alley. Because even the dog deserves better.

• comment-avatar
    Val September 15, 2012 (1:21 am)

I say boo to this too.

• comment-avatar
    enviromaven September 17, 2012 (10:47 pm)

Very sorry to see Brickyard BBQ leave. The new owners have already taken the food and service to the same sub-standard level of their Fauntleroy location. Blech!

WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann