Late-night crash takes out Gatewood Elementary sign

September 14, 2012 at 11:30 pm | In Gatewood, West Seattle news, WS breaking news | 18 Comments

(Photo by Patrick Sand)
Police were still talking to people at the scene, so we don’t have official information on how it happened, but a vehicle went up the embankment at Fauntleroy and Myrtle and took out one of the signs that the Gatewood Elementary PTA announced last February.

(Photo by Nick Adams)
No injuries reported.

1. Oh no! They worked so hard on designing the sign and getting it custom made and everything. Gatewood parents – maybe we can offer to help pay for repairs (or maybe the person who hit it should!) :(

Comment by Michelle R-R — 7:34 am September 15, 2012 #

2. Looks like someone wanted to try out their 4-wheel drive. Was the vehicle stolen?

Comment by SillyGoose — 9:21 am September 15, 2012 #

3. Well crap. Project for the PTA . . . again.

Comment by Steph — 9:28 am September 15, 2012 #

4. AHAHHHHH!!! Not the sign. It took us so long to get those up. Would love to know the name of the insurance company for the driver so we can start on the repairs.

PS: Glad nobody was injured. ugh.

Comment by Gatewood Mom — 9:45 am September 15, 2012 #

5. It made me sad to see the demolished sign this morning as I drove by. I’m glad to know it wasn’t caused by vandalism, which was my initial thought, as the sign is located pretty high up the hill. I’m equally glad to hear no one was hurt in this crazy crash.

Comment by Apey — 10:05 am September 15, 2012 #

6. I hope someone gets the driver’s info and that she or he is insured. It’s property damage that should be covered or paid by the driver.

Comment by oliver — 11:10 am September 15, 2012 #

7. AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Comment by Que — 11:56 am September 15, 2012 #

8. We just drove by and my son said very sadly “We worked so hard to raise the money for those.”

I REALLY hope the kid (looks like a kid from the pictures?) has to pay to replace it. It may seem like a small thing, but it meant so much to the school and all of the students to get those signs up last year.

Comment by Michelle R-R — 2:35 pm September 15, 2012 #

9. @michelle – I’m not sure the “kid” in the photo is the driver of the vehicle that crashed – it looks like that red car may have pulled over (maybe involved?) and he could have been in that car. Any info on that WSB?

Comment by Add — 5:02 pm September 15, 2012 #

10. No information beyond what we have here, and reports aren’t available online, so as we usually do with crashes, we’ll ask SPD when media relations is back in on Monday for non-major inquiries … TR

Comment by WSB — 5:17 pm September 15, 2012 #

11. You guys are worried about the sign and not about the occupants of the cars? One of the occupants is a recent graduate of Gatewood. He’s fine by the way.

Comment by gatewood mom — 6:58 pm September 15, 2012 #

12. The “No Injuries Reported” part of the story probably allowed people to move on to other concerns.

However, I am glad that he is OK.

Comment by Another GW Mom — 8:33 pm September 15, 2012 #

13. I agree with Another GW Mom’s reiterating that no injuries were reported. As someone who lives a few blocks from here/walks along that sidewalk regularly, I’m interested to know how he got so far up that hill. Glad the kid’s safe, the sign situation will work itself out, but let’s make sure that whatever happened doesn’t happen again; there are lots of pedestrians in the area – Gatewood Elementary, The Kenny residents, Metro bus stop, walkers, etc.

Comment by Gatewood Resident — 10:21 pm September 15, 2012 #

14. I’m sure insurance will pay for the sign (at least I hope so!) . . . and maybe the PTA can get them to throw in some driver’s ed courses for recent grads.

Comment by Whoops — 9:45 am September 17, 2012 #

15. Bummer dude.

Comment by Westie P — 9:51 am September 17, 2012 #

16. I just hope they left the Creedence.

Comment by Whoops — 11:20 am September 17, 2012 #

17. The car on the hill was rammed while turning right on to Mytle St. The red car was passing it on the right. The impact launched the black car up the embankment, taking out the Stop sign but just barely missing the fire hydrant. My daughter was driving and my grandson was in the car. Both were very shaken but alright.

Comment by buzz — 8:36 pm September 20, 2012 #

18. Just so you know the kid in the picture is actually not a kid but in fact a witness to the accident. I’m insured but the person who hit me is NOT. Please be careful what you assume before you know the facts! No it was not a drunk driver and no it wasn’t a kid. Being hit and going up the hill actually might have saved me and my sons life.
    Sincerely, The owner of the black SUV