Update: Gunfire, fighting bring police to Alki’s Whale Tail Park

July 6, 2012 at 9:15 pm | In West Seattle news, WS breaking news | 102 Comments

(Photos by Christopher Boffoli for WSB)
FIRST REPORT, 9:15 PM: Police are rushing to Whale Tail Park and vicinity on Alki after a report of possible shots fired and a large crowd of people fighting. They are trying to track down someone who may have a gun and a Taser, according to witness reports, per the scanner. No report yet if they have found anyone hurt.

9:21 PM: Per the scanner, police are seeking two suspects – one male (black, 16, black/white tennis shoes, white shirt, khaki shorts), one female (black, heavy) – she is reported to have a gun, he is reported to have a Taser.

9:28 PM: Male suspect reported to be in custody, female still being sought. And there is a report that one area house (on Marine, by the park) got a bullet through the window.

9:41 PM: Added (top) photo. We have two people in the area now, including WSB contributor Christopher Boffoli, who says, “Residents who live on the north side of Whale Tail park said they heard a loud argument in the park and then saw a woman repeatedly firing a handgun. The crowd in the park went scrambling.” Police have just confirmed via Twitter that no (injury) victim has been found so far.

9:53 PM: WSB co-publisher Patrick Sand says police are searching for evidence (as well as any possible hidden suspects) around the homes nearby and everything in Whale Tail Park, including the restrooms.

Police cars are also driving slowly around the streets in the area as part of the search.

10:03 PM: Our crews have counted six spots that police have marked off after finding shell casings.

10:41 PM: As police wrapped up their search, they told us they’d keep increased patrols in the area for the rest of the night.

11:11 PM NOTE: We’ve added more of Christopher’s images to the story, in spots where they illustrate our original text. The 1st one was published while this still was unfolding; the others, added in the past few minutes.

SATURDAY MORNING UPDATE: SPD has just posted its summary of what happened, saying it started with an argument between two women, and mentioning one arrest, for “obstructing and a warrant.”

1. Must have been a chase I can hear lots of sirens in the junction.

Comment by Roundthesound — 9:20 pm July 6, 2012 #

2. Just heard the sirens. 4 minutes, amazing time WSB. Thank you!

Comment by shadowblind — 9:20 pm July 6, 2012 #

3. Just saw 3 cops cars with lights and sirens flying northbound on California Ave. Now I know where they’re going!

Comment by Christine Leahy — 9:21 pm July 6, 2012 #

4. thanks. I was wondering what the cops and sirens racing by was all about. all of this news lately makes me not want to go to alki.

Comment by Dylan — 9:22 pm July 6, 2012 #

5. Heard shots fired. Big group fighting in the playground with baseball bats. Police on the scene now.

Comment by AlkiAnne — 9:24 pm July 6, 2012 #

6. What is wrong with these people?

Comment by HERE — 9:26 pm July 6, 2012 #

7. Thanks. We have someone en route but let us know what you see. Not everything plays out on the scanner. So far there is no report of a victim having been found. – TR

Comment by WSB — 9:26 pm July 6, 2012 #

8. I was passed by five police cars in the span of a few minutes headed in the direction of Alki.

Comment by Admiral Janeway — 9:26 pm July 6, 2012 #

9. I came straight here when I heard all the sirens. Crazy. Thanks for such a fast update…

Comment by JH — 9:29 pm July 6, 2012 #

10. All is quiet in the park again. As soon as the first police car showed and someone yelled ‘cop’ everyone scattered. Police searching in the trees and bushes.

Comment by AlkiAnne — 9:30 pm July 6, 2012 #

11. Hearing more sirens near SW Precinct too.

Comment by Valerie — 9:34 pm July 6, 2012 #

12. Lovely.

I live a block and a half from this and didn’t hear anything but the police cars.

Comment by Megan — 9:37 pm July 6, 2012 #

13. We had what seemed to be a chase fly by Beach Dr – don’t know if it’s related?

Comment by Rhonda Porter — 9:37 pm July 6, 2012 #

14. I’m grateful my teenage son is home safely.

Comment by stacy — 9:37 pm July 6, 2012 #

15. Saw the whole crowd run by laughing. Probably a good 15 or so. sounded like fireworks… But coulda been .22, maybe

Comment by Jayd — 9:42 pm July 6, 2012 #

16. Had multiple police with sirens and lights headed north on 35th and then west on Barton. Possibly related but am not sure. I am also glad my teens are home safe tonight.

Comment by born, raised, & still in ws — 9:42 pm July 6, 2012 #

17. It’s a typical Friday night summer hoodlum fest on Alki.
    Happens every year.

Comment by Danny — 9:48 pm July 6, 2012 #

18. Summer has started.

Comment by celeste17 — 9:49 pm July 6, 2012 #

19. Well at least the suspected shooter was able to exercise her second amendment rights. Whew.

Comment by Huh? — 10:00 pm July 6, 2012 #

20. born, raised, & still in ws, I live near Barton and didn’t hear a thing.

Comment by Bonnie — 10:02 pm July 6, 2012 #

21. glad to be safely at home in White Center

Comment by karen — 10:07 pm July 6, 2012 #

22. I was talking my dog at this same time half a block away. I saw a group–including one girl–who fits this overview running and get into a white van just up 59th Ave (literally half a block away). They were running when the police pulled up. I was able to get a photo of the van’s license plate. I tried to mention it to the police but they were quite busy at the time.

Comment by SC — 10:13 pm July 6, 2012 #

23. SC – hope you have called 911 with that plate since then? I think things have calmed down a little. At least the scanner traffic has. And obviously the suspect may be way far away from here by now … so they might consider broadcasting that as a possible BOL or at least looking it up…

Comment by WSB — 10:14 pm July 6, 2012 #

24. SC. Officers are still at the scene, if you’d like to go talk to them.

Comment by JayD — 10:16 pm July 6, 2012 #

25. I am so glad to hear that no one was hit by any of the bullets!

Comment by DelridgeResident — 10:19 pm July 6, 2012 #

26. Sirens headed down to Beach Drive now…related?

Comment by soosan — 10:22 pm July 6, 2012 #

27. Thanks for the great reporting tonight WSB!!

Comment by CSI — 10:23 pm July 6, 2012 #

28. Re: 10:03 update, having six shell casings with one bullet hole doesn’t add up to seven shots fired. How do you know that bullet didn’t come from one of the six? Lucky no one seems to be hit with that much lead flying around.

Comment by coolie — 10:26 pm July 6, 2012 #

29. Just called and gave them the license plate. (I really wasn’t sure if it was informative or helpful… but I had a gut feeling so better to be safe than sorry). Thanks, TR!

Comment by SC — 10:27 pm July 6, 2012 #

30. This is outrageous. That park is filled with kids at all times of the day and evening. The whole gun thing is getting way out of control in Seattle. Violence is becoming a serious problem here in sleepy West Seattle. How depressing. I hate that worries of gangs or violence enter my mind whenever taking my kids to Alki or crowded city events.

Comment by evergreen — 10:31 pm July 6, 2012 #

31. Will drop the addition part unless I hear otherwise from our crews.
    Re: Beach Drive, there’s a medic/aid call in the 3700 block. Remember that most of the time when you hear sirens, it’s SFD – SPD uses sirens much less often. Same with the Barton mention earlier in this thread .. there were a couple medic/aid calls in that general vicinity … not usually much info on those on the scanner unless crime is involved, so I have to assume at this point they were medical problems … TR

Comment by WSB — 10:34 pm July 6, 2012 #

32. Thanks, WSB.

Comment by soosan — 10:36 pm July 6, 2012 #

33. It’s not a GUN issue. It’s a human garbage, horrible excuse to share our oxygen problem. Whether this loser has a gun or not, I bet they are a terrible pile of you know what.

Comment by Rob — 10:51 pm July 6, 2012 #

34. It would be great if we had patrols roaming around Alki every Friday and Saturday night when it’s nice out. Possibly put those pretty horses to work intimidating the little rats and watch them scatter.
    I washed my truck and heard the sirens. Figured it was some accident or another bonfire burning incident. Drove down and saw a massive SPD response near Whale Tail and a ton of SPD and black exempt plate patrol cars roaming around.
    SPD, keep a few down there at all times on Friday and Saturday nights like this and you won’t need to send out that type of response again. How much did it cost the tax payers to have this response? Let’s try to figure out ways to avoid ‘needing’ to respond to incidents eh?

Comment by Mike — 11:02 pm July 6, 2012 #

35. They *are* having emphasis patrols on Alki, including pulling officers from elsewhere in the city. 4th of July was one example – officers every half block or so, in small groups. There also had been another emphasis patrol earlier in the week. I don’t know whether they had one tonight or not; there were certainly officers close by – I heard the initial dispatch on this and the rapid response. Getting more officers on the street is what this story was about – and other precincts have made the same summer changes:

Comment by WSB — 11:09 pm July 6, 2012 #

36. It’s the new hangout for hoodlums. Hey, they need lebensraum and soon they’ll take over Me Kwa Mooks.

But hey, I think a campaign of “Coexist” and “Peace” bumpstickers on all of our cars will make them think twice.

Comment by G — 11:18 pm July 6, 2012 #

37. No, Rob. There’s no such thing as “human garbage”. Just people. Someone’s child. Flawed, ill, deluded, impaired, dangerous perhaps, but not ever garbage.

Comment by Lura Ercolano — 11:22 pm July 6, 2012 #

38. It’s not new, it’s where they always hang out. They are like clockwork. They fill up at Admiral Chevron, race down Admiral, some cut right to take the back way down to Whale Tail blowing by parked cars in a tight winding road. They don’t change course, they are the same year after year.

Comment by Mike — 11:25 pm July 6, 2012 #

39. I was there playing softball at the park. The baseball bats involved were from softball players who witnessed a male beating a female (after we heard gunfire ) and broke up the fight with a show of force. The male beating the woman was the 16 year old suspect reported who was in possession of a tazer and attempted to use it on the softball players after they stopped him from beating up the female. It was around this time the police showed up on the scene.

Comment by Witness — 11:29 pm July 6, 2012 #

40. Glad I moved to “Knifepoint” today!

Comment by Guy — 11:45 pm July 6, 2012 #

41. Summertime, and the urban clientele are visiting the beach.

Comment by lt fd — 11:46 pm July 6, 2012 #

42. @lura, “dangerous perhaps” … Really?? Just someone’s child, right! Really bad parenting and really bad kids. I’m not buying the argument. Seems like every a-hole in WS has a gun these days and is stupid enough to use it. This is BOTH a gun issue AND a human garbage issue.

Comment by BS — 11:55 pm July 6, 2012 #

43. Witness — Did you report this to the police? If not, please call 911 with this information.

Comment by ws_suzanne — 12:10 am July 7, 2012 #

44. my 4 year old plays in that park during the day. What gives? Please provide follow up identification of the suspects, arraignment, sentencing, etc. Thanks for the great reporting WSB.

Comment by Cheetah fast dad — 12:16 am July 7, 2012 #

45. Where are the police this time of night now when illegal fireworks are going off left and right on alki (at least 16times in the past 20min)

Comment by BeachGirl — 12:38 am July 7, 2012 #

46. Hearing what sounds like gunshots but could be fireworks on beach drive…. Anyone else??

Comment by Robin — 12:38 am July 7, 2012 #

47. Hey, maybe someone needs to be locked up for a long time to protect the community. Society has rules, and if someone doesn’t follow those rules, there are consequences. Such as jail, perhaps. Maybe a very, very long sentence. But what is accomplished by calling someone garbage?

Comment by Lura Ercolano — 12:51 am July 7, 2012 #

48. WSB… Any info on where the suspect in custody is from?

Comment by WMF — 12:55 am July 7, 2012 #

49. No, I don’t even know for sure if they booked the person they detained. Usually SPD Blotter would update a somewhat-major incident by now, but they have not. Hopefully by morning. – TR

Comment by WSB — 1:12 am July 7, 2012 #

50. Man that’s horrible!
    Love that park!

Comment by Noelle — 1:12 am July 7, 2012 #

51. I heard gunshots too awhile ago-sounded like it was coming from Schmitz Park. Of course they stop as soon as I call 911…

Comment by JH — 2:15 am July 7, 2012 #

52. I’m temporarily living in Detroit for work.
    Between the stabbing at Hamilton Viewpoint last year to the increased violence today, I feel like I’m reading about the worst stretch of 8 Mile.
    How very sad the utopia that is West Seattle has come to this.

Comment by Homesick — 3:28 am July 7, 2012 #

53. Told my visiting family yesterday, Alki is too dangerous a place to walk at sunset on a Summer evening.

Comment by Family Guy — 4:47 am July 7, 2012 #

54. I am hoping to move back to Alki/West Seattle area. Is this a regular occurence?

Comment by Chantell — 5:40 am July 7, 2012 #

55. Small children were at the park when this happened. It escalated rapidly. I was there but it happened too fast for me to see what was going on and who was doing what. But this was clear:

The person who fired shots did it into a children’s playground with children in it.

Comment by MN — 5:55 am July 7, 2012 #

56. Where is whale tail park? I did not see link to a map.

Comment by LongTimer WS — 6:57 am July 7, 2012 #

57. Chantell – does happen every few years. I wouldn’t say regular.

Comment by Cami — 7:36 am July 7, 2012 #

58. Moving to Detroit where it is safer to raise my family.

Comment by kc — 7:37 am July 7, 2012 #

59. Can’t we start charging a toll, then these scum bags won’t come because it’s not free?

Comment by kc — 7:40 am July 7, 2012 #

60. LongTimer – Sorry, there was no time to link to a map but I also would have considered it common knowledge. It is the north end of the Alki playfield area, about a block north of Alki Elementary, and not even half a block inland from the beach. 59th/Lander. Map: http://goo.gl/maps/UnZM
    Chantell: No. But it is some kind of crazy miracle that no one was hurt. The entire city has been dealing with a wave of violence involving people armed with guns in the past few months, but almost all of it has been elsewhere. So far West Seattle has not had anyone actually shot since a murder in Morgan Junction back in February.
    The last time someone indiscriminately opened fire around this time of night in a crowded area of the beach was three years ago:
    TR

Comment by WSB — 7:43 am July 7, 2012 #

61. http://www.bing.com/local/Details.aspx?lid=YN926x402065236

The local community referbished this park in the early 2000s. The Whale Tail Statue in the park was created by the same fellow who did the “waiting for the interurban” in Ballard.

Comment by will o wisp — 7:47 am July 7, 2012 #

62. Even if the perp was caught, they would likely face minimal time (if they even received any). And that’s not SPD’s fault, or the mayor’s fault, or even the prosecuting attorney or judge’s fault: Washington state law specifies sentencing ranges for crimes. Couple that with the fact that the attorneys likely seek out plea deals to avoid all the trouble of trial and the judges’ desire not to put everyone in jail considering there’s not enough space, and there you have it: a state where punishment is really minimal for criminal acts. Don’t blame SPD or the mayor for light sentences. But in any event, I’m not 100% positive that heavy sentences would dissuade garbage like this from firing into a crowd out of anger. When someone commits such an act, it isn’t out of rational contemplation. It’s the act of an uneducated, angry, and likely poorly-raised individual who has no impulse control and no ability to think long term.

Comment by bridge to somewhere — 7:59 am July 7, 2012 #

63. We spent our whole morning and afternoon at the beach yesterday and it was glorious. It is really the only time we go down there in the summer though because it is just too crazy after a certain hour. It is really frustrating to me that there seems to be a conspiracy when these shootings happen to not turn the culprits in. Someone in that group of kids must have known the shooter. I don’t know what the answer is though. Offer a reward and see if her friends turn her in? Maybe a financial incentive would make these people do the right thing? It feels like you can literally get away with murder in this city right now which is really scary. Hopefully the extra patrols down there will help, but there is only so much the police can do.

Comment by Delridge Mom — 8:04 am July 7, 2012 #

64. Was down there last night and heard the shots. I hoped it was fireworks. As we were leaving, we saw a good sized police response. And also noticed the police officer with a rifle. I commented to my friend that there’s been gang activity down there lately. I am saddened that one of the jewels of Seattle doesn’t feel safe.

Comment by Tanya — 8:19 am July 7, 2012 #

65. Delridge Mom, I agree with you, but I don’t think financial incentive is enough for these groups. There chance of being threatened later might outweigh he financial incentive.
    Breaking up crowds lingering in clumps would be a start. The ones that cause issues are not actively doing anything other than trying to intimidate your average person/family/group of friends. The ones causing issues hang out in areas that purposely block and obstruct people from going places. They’ll hang out in the middle of the bicycle path and walking path and not move or be intimidating to little kids at a playground.
    I’d bet these kids barely have parents that are ever home or care where they are. Bad parenting is being nice, it’s lack of having a parent to begin with. There’s a variety of reasons kids get into groups like that, but most of what you see is the result of them never having anything worthwhile to do or an idea that they could benefit themselves by getting a JOB. How I ever stayed out of trouble must be a miracle…ohhhh wait, I worked at that age and had a goal in life. We need more programs to keep kids educated, busy and give them a goal in life.

Comment by Mike — 8:36 am July 7, 2012 #

66. This most certainly is a gun problem. There are way too many guns not properly stored in homes which in turn fall into the hands of these aimless punks. But we are also way too lenient on who can legally acquire guns in the first place. Take in example the Cafe Racer shooter. A man with a history of violence and outbursts, yet he was able to legally acquire 6 guns. Many times the parents of these aimless punks know their child has or has access to a gun but they are too afraid to tell the police because they are afraid of their own kids.

Comment by Justme — 8:40 am July 7, 2012 #

67. Remember the guy not too long ago who pulled out a gun on the motorcycle rider for parking too close to him at Alki?

Comment by Family Guy — 8:52 am July 7, 2012 #

68. Two guys were arrested with guns in separate incidents down on Alki on the 4th of July this year.

Comment by JH — 9:33 am July 7, 2012 #

69. Im DONE living down here. We’ve been down here many years because the kids were their happiest. Every year (Summer) it gets crazy. My son was in whale tail park the day that shooter ran past,into his car and took off after shooting someone across from Pepperdocks three years ago. Today, we witness confrontation after confrontation with people looking to start a fight or in a pissy mood and looking for trouble, and we stop dead in our tracks because it interrupted whatever we were doing at home. cars are driving past with their cars sideways up on their hydraulics. Stereos jacked up its thumping my windows (no noise control down here whatsoever). This will be our last summer here and I’ll miss my view but not the gangstas and hoodlums that come down here out of their neighborhoods. I REFUSE to stay here one more year and witness a murder. It’s going to happen sooner or later. After living here most of my life, this small community has become over populated and it’s time to move on.
    BTW-this 16 yr. old kid at the park will get out because of his age and reoffend soon,just wait.

Comment by Alki Resident — 9:44 am July 7, 2012 #

70. Had family in town and it crossed my mind to take everyone down to the beach for the evening but then I quickly remembered that it’s not a place for families (or anyone who isn’t packing a gun?) when it’s nice out after 7 or 8, especially a Friday night. Like most people, I’m not surprised at all by this and I’m not sure there is a lot more that can be done besides more police on nights like these or maybe security cameras.

Comment by Angie — 9:44 am July 7, 2012 #

71. As a few have noted, there have been other incidents with guns involved. My response was regarding actual gunfire – on a crowded evening – hasn’t happened in 3 years, nor has anyone actually been shot in that timespan. Not much consolation, but just so there’s no “people are getting shot all the time” inaccurate rumors … For background:
    The Alki arrests the other night are the second half of this story:
    There also was the case of gunfire late one night three months ago:
    and then of course the not-random-but-if-you’re-counting-gunfire the guy who was shot by police after pointing an assault rifle at them at his home:
    Also in 2010, random gunfire in the early morning hours:

Comment by WSB — 9:48 am July 7, 2012 #

72. No sense blaming the elected officials or police for these incidents. And, it’s too late for better gun control to have an immediate effect. We have too many folks, mostly younger, who are armed and quick to use violence. Frankly, I don’t care if they just shoot each other. But, the rest of us are potential victims. Maybe we need to go after their parents? Maybe we need to lock up the witnesses who never seem to see anything – put ‘em in jail for withholding evidence or contempt. Somehow we need to convince these folks that they are going to go to jail if they fire weapons.

Comment by Mike — 9:58 am July 7, 2012 #

73. Please ease up on the paranoia, folks. Seattle has a very low rate of violent crime compared to the rest of the country, and West Seattle has a low rate of violent crime compared to the rest of Seattle. Intension ally spreading disinformation such as “FamilyGuy” in the first comment is a disgusting attemt to defame Seattle in general and West Seattle specifically. And simply dismissing those involved “human garbage” as Rob an BS do, or “aimless punks” another commenter did, not only dehumanizes the entire group based on the actions of two people, it also does nothing to address the underlying issues that lead to this kind of thing, specifically a militarized culture that glorified both guns and violence in both the “media” and “entertainment.” Also, @Mike, sending the police to “break up crowds lingering in clumps” would violate the First Amendment right of assembly, and Mike, that would have to apply to you and your friends and family, too, so think a bit before you decide to toss out the Bill of Right.

Comment by godofthebasement — 10:00 am July 7, 2012 #

74. I refuse to go down to Alki anytime after sundown. I would love to see the police on foot/horse/bike patrols in that area constantly during the summer months and most particularly, the evenings.

Comment by Jill Loblaw — 10:21 am July 7, 2012 #

75. I disagree with anyone who doesn’t think this is a gun problem. There will always be lowlifes with little disregard for others, that won’t change and is too complex to be solved. But give those same lowlifes guns, and now you have a real problem that puts all of us at danger. The teen with poor impulse control can do more immediate and widespread damage with a gun than other weapons.

I was recently downtown obtaining jail clearance for a job related function. Next to me was the gun permit line, and I was flabbergasted how easy it was for total thugglets with pants hanging down past their cracks to get a permit. They looked like gang members. The second amendment has been twisted to protect vigilantism.

Comment by evergreen — 10:27 am July 7, 2012 #

76. “homesick”. I am from Detroit. Believe me…. This is NOTHING compared to Detroit…… And 8 mile is not Detroit!

Comment by Jtk — 10:41 am July 7, 2012 #

77. The beauty of summertime!

Comment by Jiggers — 11:17 am July 7, 2012 #

78. @Evergreen: Profile much? Regardless of what these people LOOK like, they are obviously law-abiding citizens wishing to protect themselves and family by exercising their 2nd Amendment rights. Hoorah!! If they were the lowlifes you portray them to be, they would already be felons unable to get a concealed carry permit. Now they are “in the system” and more accountable for their actions with guns. This is a VERY GOOD THING. For better or worse, ours is a society that believes in the right to self protection–regardless of what you look like–as long as you follow the law. Too bad that line you saw wasn’t any longer, IMHO.

Comment by Chuck and Sally's Van Man — 11:34 am July 7, 2012 #

79. Well the police can’t profil. They can’t engage with anyone that might look like trouble. Seattle has developed a huge a thug mentality. The police have there hands tied. It is time to take off the gloves and start harassing these punks. Let them know they are being whatched. Start doing random shake downs.

Comment by boy — 11:36 am July 7, 2012 #

80. Looks like the public schools failed these children…

Comment by Tom Torezz — 12:10 pm July 7, 2012 #

81. I was going to say this earlier and hoped maybe I wouldn’t have to. Racism is NOT welcome on WSB in any way, shape, or form, whether insinuated, implied, inferred, or out and out given voice to. Any such comments will not be published. That’s added up, I’m sorry to say, to about half a dozen so far. – Tracy

Comment by WSB — 12:48 pm July 7, 2012 #

82. I live 2 blocks from there and thought the shots were fireworks. Someone has been lighting off the loud variety the last 3 nights, and even today during the pirates. I can’t sleep and my dog is going crazy. I hope they run out of ammunition soon.

Comment by Rob — 1:20 pm July 7, 2012 #

83. Commenter Mike doesn’t think gun control will work, but here are his suggested alternatives:

Let me ask you, among these options, which one do you think is most likely to keep punks from committing gun crime:
    1) Threatening them with jail time
    2) Going after their parents
    3) Going after witnesses
    4) Keeping guns out of their hands in the first place
    The answer is obvious. We need stronger gun control and we need it NOW.

Comment by DBP — 1:42 pm July 7, 2012 #

84. Looks like the public schools failed these kids? What? You are blaming teachers for not being better parents for these kids? Since when is it the responsibility of the schools to parent anybody? Why in the world if you loved your kids would you want to turn over responsibility for raising them to know right from wrong and the foundation of good decision making skills to a third party? The schools are there to teach kid’s math, science, history and the like. It is not their job to parent the kids, be social workers, healthcare workers and police officers. Although I realize in many cases they are forced to try and do just that, but it is not their job and it is certainly not what they should be doing!

Comment by Talaki34 — 2:11 pm July 7, 2012 #

85. I wish our lame duck mayor would put a greater emphasis on public safety, rather than directing most of his energy to his pet projects.

Comment by Harold Reems — 2:28 pm July 7, 2012 #

86. And we know these are “public school” kids how?

Comment by DBurns — 2:49 pm July 7, 2012 #

87. I agree with by boy… Let the police do their jobs and stop being whiners in how they mistreat people.

Comment by Jiggers — 4:07 pm July 7, 2012 #

88. I’m disgusted by how people on here want to take guns away from us law-abiding, tax-paying and working people instead of concentrating on putting dangerous felons in cages where they belong. Why not take their guns away? Evergreen obviously thinks that we shouldn’t undergo an FBI background check for 90 days, get fingerprinted, pay a large fee, etc, in order to simply protect ourselves from the types of violent criminals featured in this story. I am licensed to carry concealed and I may just be the person who saves your ass from being murdered by one of these killers.

Comment by joe — 4:46 pm July 7, 2012 #

89. As someone who is from Detroit and now calls West Seattle home let me just add my 2 cents. There is unnecessary violence everywhere….some areas are worse than others at different times. I love Detroit. I love West Seattle. I always will love both and will always do what I can to make both places as safe as they can be. I’ve never felt threatened in either…. As a Detroit girl at heart, I get so irritated with those that have never even visited but are so fearful of Detroit. Let me tell ya, if you visit Michigan, don’t avoid Detroit! But watch out for Flint and Saginaw…. ;)

Comment by west seattlite — 8:56 pm July 7, 2012 #

90. Reading these comments is better than a soap opera! Thank goodness for the occasional voice of common sense and reason @godofthebasement! I was ready to give up on the good citizens of West Seattle! Again!

Comment by Seattleseabug — 8:58 pm July 7, 2012 #

91. Disturbed that so few of these troublemakers have been found by the police.

Comment by Mike Flynn — 1:45 am July 8, 2012 #

92. My hubbie and I have been mostly avoiding Alki, especially when it’s sunny and crowded, but we went to eat there last night. Picked the least crowded spot and sat outside. The trash talking and trash throwing made me disgusted. I can’t believe how incredibly awful people can be. Some girl threw her food trash almost on top of some couple eating their meal.

Comment by Westie — 9:01 am July 8, 2012 #

93. This happened on a playground that I USED to take my kid to. Next to a grade school and a community center. The last time I took her to WhaleTail, a couple teenagers were actively trying to talk kids into buying drugs from them, really freaked out these innocent kids. I called the police, and after 20 minutes, a squad car had still not shown up. Without a sufficient police presence to ensure enforcement, criminals will continue to get away with this crap and continue to run law-abiding citizens out of their freedom to safely enjoy public places. We must find a way to ensure that our playgrounds and schoolgrounds are safe. Alki is a naturally beautiful area that we are so fotrunate for. Why should we let it be ruined and give it up to those who have as much repsect for human life as to shoot a gun at a playground?! If the cops are so overwhelmed that they can’t take care of business, then maybe we law-abiding citizens need to get as actively involved as these thugs have gotten – and let us take our neighborhoods back from the criminals. What ideas do any of you have on what we as a community can do?

Comment by Marco — 10:14 am July 8, 2012 #

94. godofthebasement, you mistook intimidating and harassing others for freedom of assembly. If they were there protesting and had obtained proper permits, then yes… SPD would not have the legal right to break them up. However, when others safety is in question by groups gathering, then it’s ILLEGAL for them to group together. TADA! Yay for laws!

Comment by Mike — 11:11 am July 8, 2012 #

95. I have lived on Alki for 6 years. I live a half block from this incident. The SPD has had a very active presence this summer – in cars, on motocycles and on foot. I’ve been grateful and have told them so. Incidents like this make me sad for a number of reasons, but one of them is that people get upset with the police department. They can’t be everywhere at every single second of the day. Thousands of folks come to Alki when it’s sunny. Alki isn’t like Golden Gardens. It has many streets that feed into it. Pretty hard to monitor everyone that comes and goes. I also hate the filth that descends on my wonderful neighborhood this time of year – but it’s not the fault of the Seattle Police Department. Their presence has been HEAVY this summer and I, for one, am grateful and have noticed the difference. It’s not fun to have any of these loud mouth, aggressive bottom feeders around, but there has been less of them around this summer and SPD is the reason why.

Comment by Alkira — 8:18 pm July 9, 2012 #

96. Bring back corporal punishment. It worked for me and my generation. I rec’d 2 swats thru 12 yrs of school, I NEVER made the same mistake again!!!

Comment by The Jack — 11:58 pm July 9, 2012 #

97. maybe I missed it, but is there an update on the charges, arraignment, suspect status?

Comment by Cheetah fast dad — 9:40 pm July 10, 2012 #

98. Cheetah – The person who was detained was NOT one of the actual armed suspects, as police related it. I will have to doublecheck on this, now that a few days have passed. – TR

Comment by WSB — 9:42 pm July 10, 2012 #

99. bummer. hopefully the individual above who reported having a license number has provided that information to police for follow up.

Comment by Cheetah fast dad — 11:15 pm July 11, 2012 #

100. I think if SPD had more bike patrols they would have the ability to be more mobile when these incidents pop up. Of course they can’t be everywhere. But they can’t really get anywhere quickly when they are confined to moving around in a car primarily.

Comment by Grundle — 5:00 pm July 12, 2012 #

101. I hate working on Alki from June to Sept.When will the city realize its just grown to damn much..Ps I love it the rest of the time haha.

Comment by Andy — 7:56 pm July 16, 2012 #

102. hm. maybe some large scale “take back the streets” walks by concerned west seattle residents in tandem with police are in order?

Comment by Rebecca — 2:31 pm July 20, 2012 #