Update: Woman found dead in burned Fauntleroy apartment

(UPDATED TUESDAY AFTERNOON with cause of fire)

2:29 AM: If you’ve been hearing the sirens, there’s a fire response at apartments in the 9100 block of 45th in Fauntleroy (map). More to come.

2:36 AM UPDATE: The fire is “tapped,” according to the scanner. It’s in the end unit of a garden-style apartment building.

2:55 AM UPDATE: Firefighters have been working to make sure the fire hadn’t spread beyond the apartment where it began. As for whether anyone was hurt, the incident commander is deferring comment until the public-information officer arrives.

3:47 AM UPDATE: SFD spokesperson Kyle Moore says a woman was found dead inside the apartment where the fire broke out – after the fire was knocked down, firefighters found the body of what Moore described as an elderly woman, about 10 to 12 feet inside. (added) Here’s his briefing, unedited:

They’re still trying to find out what started the fire; so far, Moore said, it appears to have started in the living room, which is where the victim was found. He said she was a longtime resident of the second-floor unit, to which the fire was contained. The fire was called in by neighbors, who, according to Moore, banged on the door to try to see if the woman was OK – but got no reply.

4:32 AM: One more note – the address of the building has been corrected from the original dispatch; it’s in the 9000 block of 45th SW, not the 9100 block. We’ll update this story later when there’s new information from investigators.

2:02 PM UPDATE: Investigators say the fire was started by “improperly discarded smoking materials.” Here’s the update on SFD’s Fire Line site. Cause of death and identification will have to come from the Medical Examiner, possibly later this afternoon.

26 Replies to "Update: Woman found dead in burned Fauntleroy apartment"

• comment-avatar
    Sleepy July 31, 2012 (2:32 am)

Its the apartment complex in front of our house!! Hope everyone is ok! Never seen so many fire engines before.

• comment-avatar
    Tracy D. July 31, 2012 (2:32 am)

Living right near the bridge…it sounds like engines coming from every direction. Must be a big fire.

• comment-avatar
    Klk July 31, 2012 (2:39 am)

Thanks for the info! My daughter is at a sleepover the direction the sirens are heading so I’ve been anxiously awaiting news. I knew I wouldn’t have to wait long and you’ve saved me further worry. I hope everyone at the fire site is safe!

• comment-avatar
    Laura July 31, 2012 (2:42 am)

I hope everything works out okay. There are a number of fire trucks that have responded and it looks like fire hoses are spread out everywhere.

• comment-avatar
    its early July 31, 2012 (2:48 am)

I am up! That was a crazy amount of sirens. I hope everyone is fine!

• comment-avatar
    Dm July 31, 2012 (2:58 am)

Scanner said there’s a “DOA” about 20 min ago

• comment-avatar
      WSB July 31, 2012 (3:16 am)

Heard something that sounded like that but the incident commander on scene deferred comment on any victims to the public-information officer, who has just arrived, and will be talking with us and other media shortly – TR

• comment-avatar
    EmmaPeel July 31, 2012 (3:22 am)

Thank you for keeping your West Seattle neighbors informed! I knew you would tell us what all the sirens were about! I hope everyone is okay…

• comment-avatar
    Fauntleroy Neighbor July 31, 2012 (3:27 am)

I was awakened by the sirens and could see the plumes of smoke building rapidly before going out to see what was going on. A neighbor who spoke with a reporter said the reporter said someone was most likely in the unit and died. That’s very painful to hear.

• comment-avatar
      WSB July 31, 2012 (3:32 am)

As soon as the public-information officer from SFD briefs everybody, we’ll have the newest information (and as we usually do at these scenes, will also be recording the entire briefing on video) – TR

• comment-avatar
    Al July 31, 2012 (3:40 am)

Still a ton of sirens

• comment-avatar
    fretter July 31, 2012 (3:42 am)

Thanks for being so on top of Everything….We are Very concerned for a friend that resides in that complex.. please hurry with lack of DOA info

• comment-avatar
      WSB July 31, 2012 (3:44 am)

The sirens are from a few of the units that had been assigned to this case – including AIR 9, which replenishes air supplies – having to rush downtown for a “fire in building” call on 4th. So far, that one doesn’t seem to be turning into much. As for the info on this one – public-info officer Kyle Moore is still gathering information from the crews on scene, before briefing the media (our co-publisher Patrick Sand is there waiting with reps from at least 3 TV stations). The fire itself is out. – TR

• comment-avatar
        WSB July 31, 2012 (3:55 am)

And sadly, the report turns out to be true – firefighters found a woman dead inside the apartment where the fire started. Adding video of the briefing as soon as it’s uploaded. Too soon for them to say how the fire started and what led to the woman’s death – TR

• comment-avatar
    Hey lady July 31, 2012 (7:36 am)

Rest her soul. Thanks WSB for being up all night.

• comment-avatar
    Maggie July 31, 2012 (9:22 am)

Sad news to wake up to this morning, rest in peace.

• comment-avatar
    Heather July 31, 2012 (3:58 pm)

Oh, how sad. My thoughts for her, her family and loved ones.

• comment-avatar
    Laura July 31, 2012 (5:47 pm)

My thoughts and prayers go out to this woman, her family and friends. It’s a very sad situation.

• comment-avatar
    anon July 31, 2012 (5:55 pm)

She was our dear neighbor. I think I speak for everyone who knew her when I say she was a sweet, out going person. I will always remember how she would surprise me with how much she knew about so many obscure topics.We will miss you dear.

• comment-avatar
    Tracey July 31, 2012 (10:01 pm)

That is so sad. I heard the engines last night and they sounded very close, but then it seemed like they faded away almost off into Arbor Heights. I was actually too tired to double check and didn’t realize it was so close. :(

• comment-avatar
    ad July 31, 2012 (10:33 pm)

May she rest in peace…

• comment-avatar
    mehud7 August 1, 2012 (7:04 am)

Thank goodness no one else was hurt or killed.

• comment-avatar
    Leslie August 2, 2012 (6:50 pm)

This has been comforting in many ways to read, esp the comment from her neighbor. She was like a walking encyclopedia. Read a lot, loved to have fun in spite of her poor health. The deceased is my cousin, Jacki Dewey. I spoke to her on the phone (from TX) a couple of weeks ago. I wish I could post a photo of her here. I too am thankful no one else was hurt.

• comment-avatar
      WSB August 2, 2012 (7:00 pm)

Leslie – we are sorry for you and your family’s loss. If you send us a photo I’d be happy to publish it. I actually hadn’t been able to obtain her ID until your comment – the Medical Examiner usually has a daily list for the media, and did not release one for Tuesday or Wednesday. And if there’s anything else you’d like to tell us about Ms. Dewey; even an obituary if you plan to write one (we routinely publish those free of charge). Our address is editor@westseattleblog.com – Tracy (editor)

• comment-avatar
    Anon August 13, 2012 (2:12 pm)

Has the King County Medical Examiner released their report?

• comment-avatar
      WSB August 13, 2012 (2:49 pm)

They did not post media updates for three days that week. I need to figure out how to get it some other way.

WP-Backgrounds by InoPlugs Web Design and Juwelier Schönmann