West Seattle traffic alert: Crash on Roxbury, 1 hurt

June 17, 2012 at 1:21 am | In West Seattle news, WS breaking news | 14 Comments

(Photo was taken from Roxbury Safeway property looking northeast onto the scene on Roxbury)
1:21 AM: Big emergency response to 28th and Roxbury, where one vehicle is reported to have rolled over. More shortly.

1:36 AM: The crash is just north of the Roxbury Safeway. The car is on its side; both directions of Roxbury are blocked at the moment.

1:55 AM: 1 person was taken to the hospital by private ambulance. Police and sheriff’s deputies are searching a few blocks south for a suspect believed to be related to the crash – possibly a hit-run driver; they reported finding a car “in a ditch.”

1. saw the aid unit heading towards, then a few minutes later, heading away. also saw a sheriff and an spd car heading away. just one fire engine going in that i saw. kinda odd.

Comment by pilsner — 1:39 am June 17, 2012 #

2. There is a related search a few blocks south.

Comment by WSB — 1:50 am June 17, 2012 #

3. Oh my!!! I heard the sirens as I pulled into my drive way. I texted you and checked the blog and it was alteady posted. Quick response :)We were on roxbury and I guess we just missed it. Hope everyone is ok. Thanks for the quick update.

Comment by Mel — 2:20 am June 17, 2012 #

4. Thanks for the text, always appreciated. Though we’d already heard about it, that helped me decide to put a line about it on the site before heading out to check the scene – sometimes in the middle of the night on something like this, I will just go check before reporting, since there isn’t much traffic to be affected – TR

Comment by WSB — 3:10 am June 17, 2012 #

5. Do you guys never sleep?

Comment by JDS — 3:39 am June 17, 2012 #

6. Since turning this thing into a business 4 1/2 years ago, we’ve represented it as a 24/7 news operation, and we’re serious about that! – TR

Comment by WSB — 3:47 am June 17, 2012 #

7. I appreciate the commitment you guys have made to this!

Comment by m — 7:31 am June 17, 2012 #

8. It is always sad to hear that there are injuries. It makes me mad when I hear that it is a hit and run. All too often, at that hour, it is a drunk or jerk without insurance. Fortunately it looks like they found the other car. But the search in the neighborhood sounds like the ran off as well. Hopefully the used a hungry police dog to find them.

Comment by Eric — 8:02 am June 17, 2012 #

9. I hope everyone is ok. There was another accident around 9:00 last night at 35th and Roxbury. This was also what we believe to be a drunk driver. There were no major injuries. The suspected drunk driver did leave the scene, but left his vehicle. Apparently he went home and he was taken into custody a short time later by the police. Leaving the car made it very easy for police to get his address. I do hope that all involved in both accidents are going to be okay and that both drivers, if they were in fact drunk, get hit with the harshest penalty possible-and get extra penalty for leaving the scene.

Comment by born, raised, & still in ws — 1:41 pm June 17, 2012 #

10. I was the passenger of the white Honda Passport and my husband and I just had it towed home. The bumper of the car that hit us was put inside the Honda. The driver was traveling at a very high speed and fishtailed rite into the middle of the Honda, which pushed us up into the air and down on the passenger side where it rested. It was a hit and run. If any one seen anything or knows anything please contact your local Sheriffs Department.

Comment by Annie O'Briant — 2:39 pm June 19, 2012 #

11. Thanks, and sorry to hear about it. I have been trying to get followup information from KC Sheriff’s Department and haven’t been successful yet. So to your knowledge, the Camaro found ditched a ways away wasn’t involved? Or is that a Camaro bumper? – TR

Comment by WSB — 3:06 pm June 19, 2012 #

12. Yes that is a red camaro bumper. Was the car found in ditch red with no bumper? Where was the car found? The driver that hit us was headed toward 35th and Roxbury.

Comment by Annie O'Briant — 2:04 pm June 20, 2012 #

13. Annie – I don’t know. But if a detective is assigned to your case, you might ask him/her. The car was reported on the scanner to have been found around 31st/104th and while I drove to that area – I saw lots of police but no car – the street was unlit and, knowing a K-9 unit was out, it wasn’t safe for me to get out of my car, so I just came back here. I have yet to get followup info back from KCSO, which doesn’t put reports online.

Comment by WSB — 2:25 pm June 20, 2012 #

14. Thank you for your time and getting back to me so quickly. We don’t know if there investigating it or not. Again Thank you.

Comment by Annie O'Briant — 3:07 pm June 20, 2012 #