Photos: President Obama in Seattle – well, his 747, anyway

May 10, 2012 at 12:58 pm | In Not WS but we're mentioning it anyway, West Seattle news | 12 Comments

Thanks to David DeSiga for that view of Air Force One touching down at Boeing Field this past hour (see more of his photos on the WSB Facebook page). Half an hour ago, President Obama’s motorcade headed eastward on 520 for his first of two major fundraising stops, a private event. WSDOT caught this screengrab of the motorcade on the otherwise-empty northbound I-5 deck:

Later in the afternoon, the president heads to downtown Seattle for a fundraising event at the Paramount. Remember that there are some downtown bus and street effects as a result. He’s scheduled to leave Boeing Field in the 4 pm hour, off to Southern California. If there are any additional advisories or unexpected problems, we’ll update this story.

10:30 PM: All went smoothly, by the accounts we’ve seen; he left shortly after 4 pm. We have a few more photos to add, first from Doug B:

You can see more of Doug’s work via Flickr. Then, as Air Force One soared over West Seattle, Mike Russell caught this view:

And back at Boeing Field, Leann photographed this vehicle:

Our partners at the Seattle Times have a wrapup of what the president said and did today, while NOT at the airport.

1. Ahh, when we lived in DC those motorcades were always making us late to work! Its true when you hear people say I’m late because I got caught by a motorcade…

Comment by coffee — 2:50 pm May 10, 2012 #

2. Well.. I am not voting for anybody this year. Both parties suck!

Comment by carlton — 3:16 pm May 10, 2012 #

3. Is there a SR-99 traffic cam that covers the Alaskan Way viaduct? I would assume yes, but I’m having a terrible time finding one.

Comment by Spana — 3:35 pm May 10, 2012 #

4. He got my vote last time, not this time. Yes we can’t! Well, at least we didn’t

Comment by marty — 3:43 pm May 10, 2012 #

5. I was down in the park north of Boeing Field hoping to see the AF1 fly over, but he snuck in from the south…

Carlton. Ron Paul!!!

Comment by Rob — 3:55 pm May 10, 2012 #

6. Spana, there are a couple viaduct cams on our Traffic page, and a couple more we need to add that I found on the SDOT camera list ….

Comment by WSB — 4:00 pm May 10, 2012 #

7. Unfortunately we are held hostage by a two party farce of democracy.. While it is true the democrats are worthless, the ever increasing insanity of the republican alternative is clearly not a viable option.

Comment by Doris — 4:16 pm May 10, 2012 #

8. I think this was well planned- came in around noon and left before rush hour really got going. Hope someone got a photo of Air Force One taking off with downtown as the backdrop from West Seattle – I didn’t have a camera ready.

Comment by Robert — 4:27 pm May 10, 2012 #

9. Mitt is the man. ROFL.

Comment by West Seattleite — 6:02 pm May 10, 2012 #

10. And here’s Air Force One flying over West Seattle (as seen from Admiral District – sorry had my 300mm lens, could not get the city in the shot).

(It’s the same set linked to on WSB’s Facebook page. But if you didn’t see it there…) :)

Comment by MikeRussellFoto — 7:27 pm May 10, 2012 #

11. Thanks, Mike. I intend to publish one of those photos to this story but am running behind on updates ) – TR

Comment by WSB — 7:40 pm May 10, 2012 #

12. So much money gets wasted away on “campaigning”. Could these people ever agree to get together on a viable charity dinner and raise the same dollars for food banks, homeless needs, etc.? I mean really, $35g’s for a brunch, and the food bank is empty?

Comment by I Wonder — 11:29 am May 11, 2012 #