West Seattle Crime Watch: 3 in custody after burglary attempt – plus news of other arrests

December 20, 2011 at 3:47 pm | In Crime, Highland Park, West Seattle news | 34 Comments

3:47 PM: Thanks to everybody who called/e-mailed about a major police response in Highland Park, in the 16th/Trenton vicinity. It started with an attempted burglary, according to officers at the scene – including today’s tweetalong-ing Officer Scott Luckie, who hadn’t even gotten a chance to put the news on Twitter yet. Three people in custody, and one vehicle under investigation (in photo above). If/when we get more details, we’ll add them here. (added – one of Officer Luckie’s later tweets, with a photo)

Also via Twitter, the officer says two of the suspects were found in that vehicle, one “hiding in the bushes” at the targeted house.

ADDED 4:15 PM: Southwest Precinct commander Capt. Steve Paulsen tells WSB the suspects in this case are “2 males, 1 female,” and are indeed suspects of which police were “aware.” Moments before we asked him about this case, he had sent this update on the overall burglary situation in West Seattle:

As I have stated previously, since Thanksgiving, the West Seattle community had experienced a significant increase in residential burglaries. The men and women of the Southwest Precinct have made apprehending the suspects in these crimes their major priority. Each time a suspicious circumstance call is dispatched, multiple officers have been dropping what they had been doing and rushing to the area.

In the past 3 weeks, we have identified 20 individuals as well as many vehicles. A number of these individuals have been committing burglaries in other Puget Sound communities. We have been collaborating with a number of police agencies who have experienced similar trends and suspects. Most if not all of the suspects are not from the West Seattle community. To date, we have arrested 8 in the past couple of weeks. Our residential burglaries have been reduced by half just within the past week. We will continue to locate and develop probable cause for the outstanding suspects.

Again, I would like to thank our West Seattle community for their assistance in reporting suspicious activity in their neighborhoods…Their observations and 911 reporting have had a tremendous impact in helping us apprehend these individuals which in return have made their neighborhoods safer.

1. Hopefully it’s the car & carload of suspects that have been casing,hitting & terrorizing our ‘hoods’ too long. (and infamy on the blog) when you can, are you able to post HOW they were caught? Some alert citizen? Police Officer? That would be great…then we can give kudos all night long!

Comment by KD — 4:02 pm December 20, 2011 #

2. YAHOO I am so glad to hear they got caught,hopefully this is strike 3 for them and they will be put away for a long long time.

Comment by Silly Goose — 4:12 pm December 20, 2011 #

3. I am adding some news that came in from the precinct almost simultaneously … even before I could send them a followup question on this – TR

Comment by WSB — 4:14 pm December 20, 2011 #

4. My wife and I live two doors down,, she said a neighbor called it in. Just what she heard not sure if it is true.

Comment by Hello60 — 4:18 pm December 20, 2011 #

5. Wahoo! Go Officer Luckie and the rest of the Seattle PD!

Comment by Fabulousem — 4:22 pm December 20, 2011 #

6. Cut Off Their Hands

Comment by dbsea — 4:24 pm December 20, 2011 #

7. Regarding the collar/apprehension:… did Officer Luckie get lucky?!!! Ha! Seriously, thanks SPD for all the behind the scenes work on collaborating, hope it sticks… and a huge filled up courtroom full of WSeattlites should be at first hearing!

Comment by KD — 4:35 pm December 20, 2011 #

8. Bout time SPD did their jobs.

Comment by unspd — 4:43 pm December 20, 2011 #

9. THat shoe print is a pair of Vans shoes. http://mykidsskateshoes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/vwaff1.jpg

Comment by toddinwestwood — 5:40 pm December 20, 2011 #

10. Great work SPD!

Unfortunately, I would not expect these suspects (if tried and convicted) to do much time, if any. The courts are notoriously lax on perpetrators of property crimes.

Comment by Chuck D — 5:58 pm December 20, 2011 #

11. Thank you SPD for all your hard work! It’s shame that you do not get the recognition and appreciation you deserve from the community. I hope you all have a great Christmas & I hope you get some time off to be with your families!!

Comment by Dizzle — 6:03 pm December 20, 2011 #

12. Always interesting to see the real-time SPD tweets. I was glad that there was nothing so dangerous today that Officer Luckie had to break out his battle helmet :-)

Comment by cjboffoli — 6:17 pm December 20, 2011 #

13. unspd…what do you know about doing a policeman’s job? Every time you’re unsuccessful at your job (if you have one) are you “not doing your job”? Idiot. Good job SPD.

Comment by onceachef — 6:18 pm December 20, 2011 #

14. With some of the not-so-good press the SPD has been getting, it’s really nice to get a reminder that the vast majority of our men & women in blue are doing some darn fine police work; sock it to ‘em, SPD! (metaphorically speaking, of course!)

Comment by DCS Foyle — 6:29 pm December 20, 2011 #

15. Curious which house it was. Husband and I lived just outside the border of that picture for a couple of years until this summer. Glad to see that the jackasses were caught. Hooray for nosy neighbors. I’d rather have a nosy neighbor than an “I heard something but didn’t want to bother you” neighbor any day.

Comment by AG — 6:42 pm December 20, 2011 #

16. Big shout out to a neighbor and the SPD. It was my house that was broken into. I am proud to live in Highland Park and extremely thankful to the neighbor that called the police. Plenty of good karma coming your way! Thanks again!

Comment by Brian — 7:05 pm December 20, 2011 #

17. Onceachef: 28 years in my very successful career. I have been on the receiving end of two wonderful specimens of spd abusing their badge. Two spd big tall men harassing me, a single mom, let alone all the racial profiling friends of all ages have experienced. Most of the time I see spd, they are breaking the law and getting away with it. Sorry you are not living in the real world.

Comment by unspd — 7:38 pm December 20, 2011 #

18. Glad they caught them. Our house got broken into before thanksgiving. While my baby and I were home.(Scary to say the least).We also live in the highland park neighborhood. hopefully they go away for a long time. KARMA always comes back to get you

Comment by TMG — 7:44 pm December 20, 2011 #

19. Good for the neighborhood and the vast majority of spd that do a great job.the next step is make sure the perps get put away for along time, this part maybe broken. Let’s hope not.

Comment by Eaglelover — 8:11 pm December 20, 2011 #

20. unspd, an officer can hurt my feelings every day for all I care if it means they also come down hard on actual predators, and I am in the real world too

Comment by CandrewB — 8:42 pm December 20, 2011 #

21. TMG – were they scared away when they realized you were home? I’m often home alone with my baby and this is one of my biggest fears…

Comment by HM — 9:20 pm December 20, 2011 #

22. are they spending the night in jail or are they already out and committing more crimes?

nice job SPD but as a citizen I don’t feel any safer knowing it’s just a game to these hoodlums. getting arrested probably moves then up a notch in their gangs. sometimes the SPD needs to play rough house and teach these guys a lesson….as jail is just a hot meal and shower for these thugs

Comment by Joel — 9:33 pm December 20, 2011 #

23. Just got robbed yesterday only 6 blocks away from there. Hopefully that means they recover all my stuff. And officer Luckie was very professional and nice the whole time I talked with him.

Comment by HunAnnoyd — 9:37 pm December 20, 2011 #

24. I live in the real world…you’re living in your own.

Comment by onceachef — 9:40 pm December 20, 2011 #

25. I love SPD! As someone who has had a burglar in there house during the middle of the night, I can attest to the dedication of the officers serving West Seattle. Keep up the great work and thanks for making our streets a little safer tonight.

Comment by j — 10:01 pm December 20, 2011 #

26. Thanks SPD…
    I hope they used a K9 to find the one in the bushes.

Comment by Eric — 10:40 pm December 20, 2011 #

27. The individuals who do not like the police or complain about them, from my experience, are generally those who are not the most law abiding citizens. Just saying…I, personally, am thankful to the men and women in blue. Keep up the good work!

Comment by Juleskis — 11:23 pm December 20, 2011 #

28. I will hold my excitment until I hear from the judge

Comment by Paul — 12:03 am December 21, 2011 #

29. Slap those wrists and cut ‘em loose!

Comment by Jeff — 7:25 am December 21, 2011 #

30. I have had numerous dealings with SPD over the years, and I must admit that they have been nothing but courteous and professional on every occasion. I’m thinking that onceachef probably asked for more trouble by running her mouth and being uncooperative. Thank you SPD for your good work.

Comment by phil dirt — 7:33 am December 21, 2011 #

31. “I’m thinking that onceachef probably asked for more trouble by running her mouth and being uncooperative” Phil Dirt.. it wasn’t me berating the police…it was unspd…besides, I’m a “he”:)

Comment by onceachef — 10:13 am December 21, 2011 #

32. Brian, we used to live next door to you until this summer when we bought our house about 10 blocks away. Sorry to hear this happened -SOOO glad they got caught.

-Amy & Luis

Comment by A — 5:08 pm December 21, 2011 #

33. I’m guessing this is the “crew” that robbed our neighbors on Dec. 8th. A woman was interrupted by a neighbor casing the house on the 6th and they came back to rob them on the 8th. An Arbor Heights resident saw 2 males dump a box of goods on the street which happened to belong to our neighbors who had just been robbed.

Comment by Fauntleroy Neighbor — 1:21 am December 22, 2011 #

34. “Mayor McGinn issues letter calling for Seattle Police Reforms”

“hurt feelings, running her mouth, uncopperative” thats so not what happened, please don’t be ignorant. I was seriously mistreated in my own home that I rented from an spd officer who constantly used his badge and spd friends intimidate me. It was a horrible experience. My feelings were never hurt, having three large men enter your home as a single mom of a young girl scared the crap out of me. It was purely a show of force. I did nothing but put in 20 day notice because the house flooded three times and I wanted out. all I want is for them to do their job. All I could think was what else was really going on that need police and they are here flexing muscles just to be jerks instead.

Comment by unspd — 8:13 am December 22, 2011 #