Amy Greger‘s dog just spent two nights in the hospital, very sick from an illness she had never even heard of till now. She wanted to make sure other dog owners are aware of it – so she contacted news organizations, once Daisy was home and on the road to recovery. You may have seen her story on KING the other night; she shared it with WSB too:
Daisy is a 4-year-old Ridgeback-Lab mix from the Humane Society. She runs with “Papa” (~10-15 miles per week) and loves to play chuck-it. She is very mild-mannered and listens very well. Her normal weight is ~80 lbs.
Daisy went from a healthy active dog, became lethargic and stopped eating completely overnight. She lost 8 pounds in 6 days, and the vet was not able to identify the cause of the problem. We went to ACCES Renton to see an internal specialist. After ultrasounds and x-rays showed no clear answers, the specialist asked if there was a chance Daisy may have eaten any salmon. Turned out Daisy was given a small piece of raw salmon at home that fell on the floor almost 4 weeks ago. The doctor began treating her with IV antibiotics. The next day her lab result also confirmed she had salmon poisoning.
Salmon Poisoning is a (potentially) fatal condition for dogs (not human or other animals) caused by a microorganism found in salmon and other fish in the Pacific Ocean from Northern California to Seattle. Heat would kill the microorganism, but it can be in cold-smoked fish also.
Daisy spent 2 nights at the hospital. She started eating and is on the road to full recovery.
Here’s more information about this illness, including its symptoms, and a reiteration that only dogs are susceptible (not even cats). Thanks to Amy for sharing that link as well as her story, and this one too.
Sorry, comment time is over.
All contents copyright 2005-2015, A Drink of Water and a Story Interactive. Here's how to contact us.
Header image by Nick Adams. ABSOLUTELY NO WSB PHOTO REUSE WITHOUT SITE OWNERS' PERMISSION.
Entries and comments feeds. ^Top^