West Seattle Crime Watch: ‘Unique’ getaway car to watch for

October 5, 2011 at 10:08 am | In Crime, Genesee Hill, West Seattle news | 22 Comments

Bill shares word of a break-in attempt on Genesee Hill with a “unique” getaway car that you might want to keep an eye out for – read on:

The attempted burglary happened near 52nd Place and Andover (map):

The two perpetrators rang the bell repeatedly and then began knocking. With no answer, they probably thought no one was home. They broke a downstairs window and then a relative showed up and gave chase. The police were called but were too late to catch them.

Here is the description:
2 black men estimated between 17- 20 years old.
One tall and skinny with braids.
Getaway car parked around the corner
Maroon Tahoe with a black hood (not roof), about 10 years old.

1. Scary, that’s right behind us. I’ll keep a look out.

What time did this happen?

Comment by shihtzu — 10:12 am October 5, 2011 #

2. Maybe that’s why a helicopter is hovering over my house right now?

Comment by Sue — 10:32 am October 5, 2011 #

3. No, there’s a water-rescue call off Beach Drive. We’re en route – TR

Comment by WSB — 10:39 am October 5, 2011 #

4. I saw one of these guys what must have been minutes before or after they did this to my neighbor. The guy I saw was a young black guy wearing blue jeans and a gray hoodie. He was short, and had braids. The car (10 year old Tahoe) was driving up our street very fast, and the car appeared to have a loud exhaust.
    To add to this, just up the street, and not sure if it’s the same guys, my friends house git broken into two weeks ago. They snuck in the back, and kicked his basement door in. Be on the look out, these guys are brazen.

Comment by Frank — 10:40 am October 5, 2011 #

5. So are you saying this is a convertible, open air Tahoe (like a Jeep)?

Comment by george — 11:11 am October 5, 2011 #

6. Everyone on genesee hill keep an eye out, this is the 4th burglary attempt in two weeks, all with the same MO.

Comment by Question — 11:37 am October 5, 2011 #

7. george – No, not a convertible (not sure if you were being sarcastic or not). The hood of the engine compartment is black, not the roof of the vehicle.

Comment by monroe1200 — 11:53 am October 5, 2011 #

8. I think they are saying that it is a maroon vehicle with a black bonnet.

Comment by Jordan — 11:55 am October 5, 2011 #

9. Alas, not the Harry Potter mini cooper.

Comment by Spana — 12:07 pm October 5, 2011 #

10. How about a picture of that kind of vehicle?

Comment by BlairJ — 12:10 pm October 5, 2011 #

11. I’ve seen that car drive white center through Delridge. Next time I see it, I will note the license. They will lay low for awhile, but being as stupid as they are, they will surface again.

Comment by TJAW — 12:26 pm October 5, 2011 #

12. The Harry Potter MINI Cooper is:

1) Purple Haze (actual color name) not maroon
    2) A convertible with a black top and Purple bonnet
    3) A MINI Cooper, not a Tahoe
    4) No more, having had it’s custom paint work sprayed over
    5) Still for sale

Comment by valvashon — 1:36 pm October 5, 2011 #

13. here’s a 2001 Tahoe:

i did not see the perps car so I have no idea if this is what it is; just following-up with Bill’s post and BlairJ’s request

Comment by bridge to somewhere — 1:54 pm October 5, 2011 #

14. I’ve seen the car too in the neighborhood, next time it’s 911.

Comment by Question — 2:36 pm October 5, 2011 #

15. No, not being sarcastic, just clarifying that “not roof” meant is was the front hood. I think what I was visualizing was a Blazer. sorry for my confusion.

Comment by george — 2:55 pm October 5, 2011 #

16. We had a break-in attempt at our home on Genesee Hill last week, the 4000 block of 56th SW. My husband was actually in the house when the attenpted break-in occurred and gave chase. The get away car was a Silver Scion License number 834ZZM. Both were men of color – one guy stayed in the car while the other tried to break into the kitchen window. a police report was filed. Genesee Hill neighbors be on the look-out as these are day-time events.

Comment by Jean Lester — 3:28 pm October 5, 2011 #

17. I am the one who chased the guys away from the house as they jumped into the vehicle and my wife witnessed the tahoe drive away. She identified it as maroon with a black hood OR roof OR both and other black custom details. It does resemble a blazer or a yukon and may not be as new as the picture in the above link. It was idling in front of our house and did sound like it had an extra loud exhaust. There may have been a plastic weather cover over the license plate and it had larger wheels.
    Keep your eyes out and report any information!

Comment by Joe — 7:05 pm October 5, 2011 #

18. This picture is more similar to the vehicle…

@Frank – are you the individual who was walking across the street, south down 52nd ave when the truck drove off?

Comment by Joe — 7:37 pm October 5, 2011 #

19. Not to muddy the waters even more, but I think these guys either have multiple cars or they are giving others ideas. I was out walking my dog monday (10/3) a.m. at approx. 5 and noticed a low slung wagon type maroon vehicle with chrome wheels. Not a tahoe, not a cruiser or scion. Very clean. It criss crossed an area from charlestown to dakota, 47th to 56th, at least 4 times as I walked. I went home, got my vehicle and cell, and started driving. They were obviously casing the ‘hood as they were way up on top of the hill again when I saw them. Driving slow, not dropping people or flyers. I called 911. Even if we do see people dropping stuff off, do not trust it. Call it in. No one should go unnoticed. Try to quickly, carefully, and quietly call the police, and give them their best chance at catching these peolpe in the moment. We are home, and we are watching…E

Comment by e — 7:22 am October 6, 2011 #

20. Talk about a gutsy due! What a pair of punks. They belong in jail! They assumed no one was at home because they couldn’t see the car which was parked inside the garage. This experience must have scared the hell out of the homeowner. The potential crime is bad enough, but to ruin a person’s feeling of safety in their OWN home is just so Damn wrong!

Comment by Ms Me — 9:29 am October 6, 2011 #

21. WOW ..very scary .. that car you are talking about has been driving by the ally out back of here ..”Or One Like it !..its noisey ,cant see in the windows though..next time I see it i’ll take a picture [if my cell’s handy ! people ..strange looker’s walk by this ally daily ..nights ,my dog bark’s at loud sounding car’s.. .. dont want to say on here where we are .. but !! theres a gas station / Fire Station close by..Good luck with your search..I’ll be lookin/and report any thing I see ..

Comment by kathy — 6:11 pm October 8, 2011 #

22. yesterday had two guys with similar descriptions (both men of color, one skinny and tall, the other shorter, ages 17-early 20′s, get away car down the street) come knocking and looking through our front door, not knowing we were home. they left when they realized we have a surveillance camera with our alarm system. we have it on tape and have contacted the police. we recently had mail and packages stolen from our home. we live on pigeon point on 21st ave sw, so everyone should be on the lookout!

Comment by LB — 7:30 am October 12, 2011 #