West Seattle Crime Watch: Cabbie attacked with stun gun

August 22, 2011 at 12:07 pm | In Crime, West Seattle news | 16 Comments

A 25-year-old man is in jail after allegedly attacking a cab driver with a stun gun early this morning in the Morgan Junction area. We heard a bit about the incident via the scanner and just obtained the report from Seattle Police. The cab driver told police he had picked up the suspect in The Junction and was told he wouldn’t have to go far. According to the driver, he was directed through a few side streets southwest of California/Fauntleroy – and then around 46th and Fauntleroy, the suspect grabbed him from behind and “drove an electric stun gun into his side 3-4 times.” At that point, the report says, the driver lost control of the cab, which then hit a vehicle on SW Frontenac. The suspect got out and so did the driver, running after him until the suspect jumped a fence. A K-9 unit came to help try to track down the suspect; the stun gun was found in the 4600 block of SW Maple (map), while the suspect was found about a block away, hiding under a van. Police say the suspect doesn’t live in the Morgan Junction area; they didn’t find any money on him, but did find 4 grams of marijuana. He told them after being advised of his rights that he didn’t know what he was doing in the back seat of a patrol car, and it was, the report says he claimed, “all King County Jail’s fault.” (The register shows his most recent stay there, in an assault case, ended on the 4th of July.) The cab driver didn’t want to go to the hospital, but did have what the report calls “a series of red, raised welts near his belt line above his hip.”

1. Way to go, K-9!
    If only police could have given the cab driver five minutes with that guy before they took him to jail…

Comment by mookie — 12:27 pm August 22, 2011 #

2. I drove a cab in Seattle for over 20 years — sure glad I’m done with that. I was lucky; never got robbed or attacked.

Comment by Defenestrator — 1:04 pm August 22, 2011 #

3. So he was in jail for an assault case, what happened with that? Why do we seem to have so many repeat-violent offenders that don’t actually get real jail time?

Comment by Adam — 1:09 pm August 22, 2011 #

4. I haven’t had time to look up the record yet. It was listed as third-degree assault, and he was in jail for more than two weeks. The case most likely is not even resolved yet. Will add info when I can get into the records. – TR

Comment by WSB — 1:12 pm August 22, 2011 #

5. That suspect is lucky the cabbie didnt have a gun on him.Bet he will next time.

Comment by Alki Resident — 1:22 pm August 22, 2011 #

6. Is there a name and description? It’s good to know as these losers never see more than a couple of days in the can.

Comment by Terry — 1:24 pm August 22, 2011 #

7. Yep, all the fault of King County Jails: they didn’t keep him. :/

Comment by maude — 1:25 pm August 22, 2011 #

8. We do not publish names until people are charged. We will keep an eye on the case as we have done with others we reported on in this manner – TR

Comment by WSB — 1:30 pm August 22, 2011 #

9. For the record no fence was jumped… Looks like he barreled through two gates and a section of fence…several unexpected repairs for me…do you think he will pay to fix? ;)

Comment by Dave — 4:31 pm August 22, 2011 #

10. thanks, I’m just quoting the police report: “(The victim) stopped chasing when (the suspect) jumped the fence.”

Comment by WSB — 4:40 pm August 22, 2011 #

11. “These aren’t my pants!”

Comment by Eddie — 4:56 pm August 22, 2011 #

12. @ Dave: Several years ago I lost two gates and a section of fence to a police pursuit through my yard. I was given a case # and presented them with my expenses. (I did the labor myself and could only bill for materials). A couple of years later I got a check! Apparently it was paid in restitution by the “perp.” I had written it off and forgotten about it by then but it is possible! (All in WS BTW)

Comment by 35this35mph — 5:52 pm August 22, 2011 #

13. Sounds like he just watched Angelina Jolie in “SALT”.

Comment by islewrite — 9:16 pm August 22, 2011 #

14. This happened outside my house. 9 cop cars showed up and 2 k-9 units. Our neighbors car got hit by the cabbie. What worries me was what he was going to do in our neighborhood…

But i got this report from my dad. I slept through the entire thing.

Comment by RRE — 9:37 am August 26, 2011 #

15. Can’t wait for the guys name and picture.

Comment by cratewasher — 1:14 pm September 5, 2011 #

16. Joshua L. Ellis. Charged in Muni Court, not Superior Court, with assault, but still in jail. Hearing tomorrow, we’ll check later to see what happens, won’t be able to go to court in person. As for a photo, I don’t see any indication that he has served time in state prison, which is the only way images are available to the media outside of shooting hearings. – TR

Comment by WSB — 1:27 pm September 5, 2011 #