West Seattle Crime Watch: Package thieves strike newlyweds

December 7, 2009 at 7:37 pm | In Crime, Sunrise Heights, West Seattle news | 8 Comments

Suzanne has a reminder after grinchy thieves struck her doorstep near 28th/Webster [map] on a day otherwise full of joyous memories:

I had a FedEx package stolen from my Sunrise Heights home on Friday night. It was a wedding gift to my new husband, to whom I was getting married on the same day it got stolen. FedEx will probably cover it, but the thief is still a worthless lowlife. Be sure to have packages delivered to work addresses or held at the PO this season!

1. After losing a package back in the spring to thieves from my doorstep (22nd & Thistle), I’ve started having everything go to my workplace. Little less convenient sometimes, but I don’t worry about it now.

Comment by Rick C — 8:06 pm December 7, 2009 #

2. That sucks! I’m your neighbor; VERY CLOSE neighbor. Sorry I didn’t see or hear anything; next time my dog barks (and he’s very attentive) I will investigate!! Let me know if you need me to accept any packages, etc. for you if you’re not around. Hint: bird feeder, 110 pound yellow (police) dog.

Comment by WTF — 9:10 pm December 7, 2009 #

3. Ive had my mail and packages going to a certain WSB sponsor :) for a number of years now. I am thrilled to death.

Comment by shane — 9:26 pm December 7, 2009 #

4. We now have two mail businesses – Stor-More and Alki Mail – in the sponsor ranks, both fine folks, one in western West Seattle and one in eastern West Seattle. We are always glad to hear of folks doing business with our sponsors, supporting 24/7 community-collaborative news in West Seattle, for West Seattle, by West Seattleites … TR

Comment by WSB — 9:42 pm December 7, 2009 #

5. I have been having packages delivered at work for years as well as mailing all outgoing mail from work for the same reason. (BTW, my brother in north Seattle had 7 bills stolen from his mailbox, one of the few times he didn’t drop it off in a drop box.) Also I have a neighbor in my apt building who receives packages for all the tenants in the building. Very nice to have.

Comment by Eli — 11:47 am December 8, 2009 #

6. Back in October my package that was for a housewarming was stolen from my doorstep (32nd & Holden). First time it has ever happened. I now receive packages at work.

Comment by Bianca Harding — 11:48 am December 8, 2009 #

7. P.S. want to remind and suggest you and everyone else to leave some lights on at night and especially while you’re away. I live near you guys and your house is always very dark. As silly as it sounds, lights do help deter. No lights, dark porches and backyards DO encourage would-be thieves. Just something to keep in mind.

Comment by WTF — 9:47 pm December 8, 2009 #

8. It’s a huge pain, but sometimes the extra charge for signature confirmation is worth it. Also, super important to mail sensitive bills, etc. from a secure post office box. Our company based in Redmond and with employees who live in West Seattle makes a new secure mailbox called the “Package Master” – but sadly it doesn’t accept LARGE packages, like the one Suzanne probably received. It’s just big enough for small/medium amazon packages, prescriptions, etc. We also have super high quality locking mailboxes for securing incoming mail that thieves swipe to get sensitive information and steal your identity. Everyone’s gotta be vigilant about mail identity theft nowadays.

Comment by Jenny DB — 11:44 am December 10, 2009 #