Reader Recommendation Request: Gentle hands

November 10, 2007 at 1:19 am | In Reader recommendations | 40 Comments

From Kathy:

I’d like to find a good massage therapist in W. Seattle — someone that does really good deep tissue massages, preferably a female. Also, I’d like to get recommendations on a good chiropractor — someone who’s gentle, has good client skills. (Can you tell that I have an aching neck?)

Add a comment with your recommendation; find previous WSB Reader Recommendation Requests (and answers galore in the comments) in their own category archive here.

1. Dr. Kavanaugh at Westside Chiropractic is fantastic!! I always leaving her office feeling tons better and she is SUPER nice! Massage is offered at her office, though I haven’t personally tried it yet.

Comment by JM — 6:45 am November 10, 2007 #

2. Arelene and Joan are two wonder-women massage therapists at White Crane Spa. 206.937.4777

Comment by Lesley — 6:58 am November 10, 2007 #

3. I second the recommendation of Arlene and Joan at White Crane, and also, ALL of the massage therapists at Head to Toe in the Admiral Junction are fantastic. They are all highly skilled and intuitive, and the management makes sure to get the best trained and best “people-skilled” massage therapists around. Phoebe and Melissa are both fantastic but all of them are great and I promise will take excellent care of you. Good luck! 938-9300

Comment by Anne — 7:14 am November 10, 2007 #

4. Marilyn Kavanaugh at Westside is great! My family has been visiting her for years (including my 3yr old) and we love her.

Comment by kmw — 8:14 am November 10, 2007 #

5. I would try Ashiatsu, it’s amazing (the person basically dances on your back).

Dari Haffie, who is at Aaron’s once a week (on Wed). Gypsy who is also there (all the time) is great.

Jonathan Vogel is great as well, but he’s not a female.

Once you go Ashi you will never ever go back :)

Comment by Venkat — 8:38 am November 10, 2007 #

6. Add Nina Mattoon at White Crane Spa to that list. I use her all the time. Wonderful deep tissue and Shiatsu. Plenty of parking. Very clean facility and has a great WS feel.

Comment by angel — 8:49 am November 10, 2007 #

7. How about that place in White Center, right next to the Sheriff’s office?

Comment by Huindekmi — 8:56 am November 10, 2007 #

8. Alki View massage is a great place to go! and the prices are reasonable too.

Comment by meg — 9:05 am November 10, 2007 #

9. Jessica and Michelle at Alki View massage are great and make you feel really comfortable. i went to them after a car accident and they helped me so much.

Comment by Vanessa — 9:09 am November 10, 2007 #

10. Dr. Amy Bovenkamp on California Ave is a great chiropractor; she always gets me in the same day. They have massage, too,

Comment by Scott J. — 9:33 am November 10, 2007 #

11. Dr. Kavanaugh, Dr. Brian Wiebe, and Dr. Bovenkamp are all good- but you need to talk to each to see if their respective type of practice works for you.

I recommend -to the moon!- June Eguchi for LMT. She is very experienced, over 20yrs in the biz.

Comment by Lachlan — 9:38 am November 10, 2007 #

12. Don’t forget that one of WSB’s frequent commenters, Jan, is also a massage therapist here in WS. Click on her name under any of her comments for her website link.

Comment by Sue — 9:58 am November 10, 2007 #

13. Thanks, Sue :)

I will second the vote for Bryan Wiebe…a great chiropractor, very gentle in his approach.

Someone mentioned Johnathan Vogel. He was one of my instructors when I went to massage school in 1993-4. I had the best deep tissue massage from him, as a student.

Comment by Jan — 10:35 am November 10, 2007 #

14. oh, and, Kathy? I absolutely LOVE working on necks :)

Comment by Jan — 10:36 am November 10, 2007 #

15. Dr. Michael Ross on California is a good chiropractor. He also provides exercise rehabilitation to prevent recuring injury. (Seattle Whole Health and Fitness)

Comment by Evie E — 10:48 am November 10, 2007 #

16. I don’t know if the place Huindekmi refers to in White Center is Roxbury Chiropractic, but if so, I’d avoid it unless they’ve improved their client skills.

I went there a few years back and didn’t enjoy the experience. I thought the chiropractor was extremely rough in his adjustments and his personality too abrupt for my style. He asked me to refer him to friends/family during our first appointment — before he’d done a treatment! His front desk staff was equally pushy. I went a few times, then gave up and never went back.

As for massage — I’d had pretty good luck with M3 Bodyworks. Not the greatest massages I’ve ever had, but you can usually get in there at short notice, which is sometimes more important than anything…

Comment by jj — 10:57 am November 10, 2007 #

17. I can’t say enough good things about Alki View Massage. I have been going to Michelle once a week for close to 10 years. Both Michelle and her twin Jessica are wonderful. Sometimes I’m so relaxed after my massage, I don’t know how I make it home!

Also, Dr. Patrick Hunter at Premier Chiropractice is very good. He is at 6415 Fauntleroy Way SW.

Comment by Wendy — 11:14 am November 10, 2007 #

18. I can’t say enough good things about Alki View Massage. I have been going to Michelle once a week for close to 10 years. Both Michelle and her twin Jessica are wonderful. Sometimes I’m so relaxed after my massage, I don’t know how I make it home!

Comment by Wendy — 11:15 am November 10, 2007 #

19. Kari at Ola is great and only 65$ for one hour massage.

Comment by Susan — 12:00 pm November 10, 2007 #

20. jj…the place that Huindekmi was referring to was on 16th SW, I believe..they were busted a few weeks back for providing more than massage, if you get my drift ;-)

Comment by Jan — 1:29 pm November 10, 2007 #

21. Diana Elizabeth in the Belli Capelli building is great!

Comment by Ann — 2:16 pm November 10, 2007 #

22. Sue – I went there, and guess what – I don’t see something called a PRICE. I can get more massages in WS, than a beer. GOLLY, you talk about how good it feels, yes, I absolutely agree, a good massage is worth every $$ you pay for it.

BUT, tell me how much a feel good is going to cost me. Upfront, no bull, no “Well, gosh, it depends”.

Jan, be honest, and upfront.

Comment by willow — 4:26 pm November 10, 2007 #

23. Uh, willow, did you click on the about us link on the site? http://massageforwell-being.com/aboutus.aspx

Comment by Gina — 5:03 pm November 10, 2007 #

24. Mr. Willow…Hi, this is Jan. Regarding my website…if you click on the page that says “About Us”, you will find a list of my prices/rates…average for this area and with my experience…ya just didn’t look hard enough ;-)

Comment by Jan — 5:12 pm November 10, 2007 #

25. Josie Ives at M3 Body Works, on California ave, hands down (no pun intended) the best massage therapist in the world! Well ok, I havent been to them all, but I have had many a good massage, and Josie is just exceptional. I sent my girlfriend there and she agrees, Josie is simply the best.

Comment by Dan — 6:11 pm November 10, 2007 #

26. LOL – Jan, you’re a saint! A very gracious answer indeed.

Comment by GenHillOne — 8:24 am November 11, 2007 #

27. Erika Street is wonderful, now at the Healing Arts Partnership -

Comment by Karen — 8:40 am November 11, 2007 #

28. I’ll just add another kudos to Alki View. I was able to get in the same day last week for my first visit there and just had another amazing massage yesterday. Jessica’s great.

Comment by Lee — 9:51 am November 11, 2007 #

29. Terilyn Wyre, who practices out of Belli Capelli on California Ave., is GREAT. Here’s her web site:

Comment by Jane — 5:30 pm November 11, 2007 #

30. Please try Lynn Lord at Healing Massage Studio for skilled deep massage. I have chronic back-neck problems and Lynn has been keeping me going for years. She is at 4843 California Ave. Phone (206) 935-2620.

Comment by garybert's lady — 5:38 pm November 11, 2007 #

31. Dr. Marilyn Kavanaugh at Westside Chiropractic is incredible, I have tried others but she is the one I truly get great results with. There is a massage therapist as well in her office that is truly the best!!! G

Comment by Greg — 9:40 am November 12, 2007 #

32. Anyone have experience getting prenatal massages? I’m pregnant and would looove to get a massage, but all my pregnancy books say that I should make sure the massage therapist is experienced in prenatal massage. Also I wonder is there a special table that is used so that my growing belly isn’t in the way? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Comment by Rena — 9:56 am November 12, 2007 #

33. I’m surprised no one has mentioned Dr. Harold Rasmussen at West Seattle Chiropractic on California Ave. just north of Alaska Junction. He’s been my chiropractor for eight years and I know several others who go to him as well. We all think he is fantastic! Very experienced, knowledgeable, and skilled, with good communication skills and a pleasant demeanor; good office staff, too. He has been able diagnose & treat my pains when my GP couldn’t.

Comment by Alice Kuder — 11:39 am November 12, 2007 #

34. Rena…there are classes that we take on prenatal massage…and it would definitely be a good thing for you. Yes, there are tables that have a “sling” kinda thing in a hole for your belly, but the latest information says that they may not be the best thing, as much as you might miss lying on your tummy. Mostly, we have you lie on your side, lots of pillows. I have worked on pregnant women, but am not “certified” in pregnancy massage. I have someone I refer to if they want someone “certified”…she’s a massage therapist, and a doula, and has helped deliver quite a few babies. If you want her name and contact #, just call me at 206-898-5104..she’s not in West Seattle, but is easy to get to in lower Wallingford near the Aurora bridge..

Comment by Jan — 11:53 am November 12, 2007 #

35. I’ve been going to Healing Hands Massage Studio for years. Lynn Lord owns/runs the place; it’s a little south of the Junction. She always gives a great massage – about $65 for one hour, and she says she takes some health insurance too.

Comment by Wally — 7:51 pm November 13, 2007 #

36. Suzzane at Westside Chiropractic truly gives the best massage I have ever had. Believe me, I have tried many.

Comment by Barbara — 10:33 am November 28, 2007 #

37. Adding my recommendation: Michael at M3 Bodyworks (I hear Josie is good too). Michael is the first massage I’ve gotten that is more THERAPY than massage. He really understands physiology and has “fixed” a few problems for me. Strong and knowledgeable– go to him when you need a professional that makes you feel GREAT.

Comment by Susan — 9:52 am January 13, 2008 #

38. Admiral Massage, private practice. 10 years as a massage practitioner, focusing on pre and post natal massage, deep tissue and injury massage. Guaranteed a great massage! 206-755-5642

Comment by Kelly Malloy — 12:04 pm March 27, 2008 #

39. How about a referral for sports injury massage?

Comment by Lisa — 9:51 am April 19, 2008 #

40. re: Massage in West Seattle

Chill Massage Therapy & Modern Apothecary
    Does Sports Injury (Nicole), Pre-Natal (Diana), Deep Tissue (Karina) and you can book On-line through our Website. http://www.chillwestseattle.com

Comment by LauriY — 6:49 pm May 6, 2008 #