Sharp question

August 11, 2007 at 10:05 am | In Reader recommendations | 13 Comments

The latest WSB reader request for your recommendations (thanks to those who answered the cat-care question a week ago):

I am looking for a quality, old-fashioned knife/blade sharpening service here in West Seattle, if such a skilled person exists (or the closest neighborhood). I know about Seattle Cutlery in the Market, but am hoping there is another in a less problematic location.

Anyone?

1. There’s a guy who comes to the Sunday farmer’s market in the Alaska Junction who sharpens knives, but I haven’t tried him out, so I can’t say anything about the quality.

I’m also not positive I’ve seen him there in the last few weeks.

You also might check at the nursery–I remember seeing flyers there at one point for a guy who would sharpen pruning shears and knives.

Comment by Evan — 10:35 am August 11, 2007 #

2. I have seen a guy at Hancock Fabrics sharpening scissors and such…possibly he will sharpen knives as well.

Comment by Lisa — 11:01 am August 11, 2007 #

3. In the same vein, I’d like to know
    a local place/person who sharpens
    hair clipper blades as well.

Comment by Stacy — 11:11 am August 11, 2007 #

4. I’ve also heard that if you take knives (not a lot of them, they might limit the number) to the meat dept. at QFC at Westwood, that they might do that for you….you could call and ask.

Comment by Jan — 11:39 am August 11, 2007 #

5. I’ve been tabling at the Farmers Market for the summer and the guy who comes to the Market sits right at the Alaska St. entrance and I’ve overheard many of his repeat customers thanking him. My suspicion is that he does a great job, based on the comments I’ve heard. He did miss a few markets but is a regular. He doesn’t sharpen anything but knifes and scissors – no hair clippers and no hand mowers.

Comment by chas redmond — 11:40 am August 11, 2007 #

6. I’ve had good luck with the man who sharpens things from the nursery. But a knife I took to the farmer’s market came back duller than it went in.

Comment by Katherine — 12:30 pm August 11, 2007 #

7. The West Seattle Nursery has post cards for a knife sharpener (not affiliated w/the nursery). We have not used a knife sharpener yet…

Comment by Rhonda Porter — 4:20 pm August 11, 2007 #

8. QFC meat/fish department will indeed do them (or would last time I checked), they prefer no more than 2-3 at a time.

Comment by t — 5:48 pm August 11, 2007 #

9. I was just in the Junction True Value and saw they sharpen knives and scissors – all types except for serrated. Can’t recall the price but it seemed reasonable. They also fix lamps, by the way.

Comment by Kingston — 5:51 pm August 11, 2007 #

10. QFC doesn’t charge either. I drop them off knives, shop and they’re ready.

Comment by megan — 10:36 am August 12, 2007 #

11. QFC doesn’t charge either. I drop off knives, shop and they’re ready.

Comment by megan — 10:37 am August 12, 2007 #

12. The Farmer’s Market sharpener does a good job. Not the best (send away for that), but he’s quick and convenient while you shop the market.

Comment by Max — 6:42 pm August 16, 2007 #

13. Junction True Value at the Junction has always had a quality sharpening service. Come on in, we would love to help.

Comment by Geoff — 1:59 pm November 19, 2008 #