Bring your curiosity, your questions, and a friend to our free “Intro to Zen” class.
Whether you’re a long-time Buddhist practitioner or a Buddhist skeptic, whether you meditate frequently or you’ve never meditated before, whether you’re wearing a black Buddhist robe or a ski jacket, your presence and your questions are welcome here.
Abbot Koshin Chris Cain and Elizabeth Fitterer will lead the two-part program:
Part 1: Why Zen?
- Introductions. Any questions about Zen?
- What we love about Zen and how we got into it.
- What’s the goal of practice at this Zen Center?
Break: tea and cookies
Part 2: Our Zen Center
- Meditation instructions: chairs, cushions, and benches.
- Brief explanations of Zen ritual: tea, chanting, the role of the jiki and shoji, bowing.
- A very brief version of a Zen service-tea, jiki offers incense, one chant, bowing, sitting for 5 minutes, walking meditation.
Discussion and questions
West Seattle, Washington