UPDATE: Gas leak briefly shuts down 9th SW in Highland Park

(Added: WSB photos)

9:46 PM: Police are closing 9th SW between Elmgrove and Kemyon in Highland Park because of what was described in radio communication as a gas leak that may have been caused by a crash. They’re also evacuating some nearby residents. More as we get it.

10:05 PM: The gas has been shut off and the street is expected to reopen soon. We are in the area to see what else we can find out.

10:29 PM: Raad’s open again. Police told us at the scene that the gas line, on a driveway serving multiple residences, was hit but the driver was gone when they arrived. No other damage.

7 Replies to "UPDATE: Gas leak briefly shuts down 9th SW in Highland Park"

• Ryan May 28, 2020 (10:27 pm)

I live behind the house in question. There was a verbal altercation among the residents followed  by a car peeling out and then crash. They crashed into the gas main and I immediately heard a loud hissing. Emergency responders and PSE arrived promptly and shut the main off.

• July May 29, 2020 (2:14 pm)

I live around there.  Ryan did u tell the police this

• Megan bell May 29, 2020 (3:12 am)

Hey Ryan I’m one of the neighbors in this little area. Did you tell the police?

• Ryan May 31, 2020 (1:40 pm)

The police asked me a few questions but they didn’t seem very interested in collecting much info. No surprise there.

• trickycoolj May 29, 2020 (9:16 am)

Wasn’t there a crash related gas leak in this area a few years ago?  With this being a critical detour out of here maybe PSE needs to protect their lines a little better.

• Jeff May 29, 2020 (5:13 pm)

I am the guy who is going to have to pay for the damage to the duplex wall and gas pipes, get city inspections, and have PSE place new gas meters.  If anyone has any info I would at least like to be able to have a chat with the folks involved regarding the out of control behavior that caused this.  It shook everyone up pretty good. I don’t expect SPD to do anything, nor do I expect payment for the repairs.  I just want to discourage this type of behavior in the future. jjbeldar@yahoo.com