(WSB photo, Wednesday)

Just got the documents from the bail hearing for the 38-year-old woman arrested after the Wednesday shoplift-turned-robbery that injured an employee at West Seattle Optix in The Junction, hit by broken glass when she kicked out a window, trying to get away. Court documents say she has “an extensive arrest record with at least 6 (failure-to-appear warrants),” including the current one for another shoplift-turned-violent three years ago, so prosecutors requested that bail be set at $80,000. But Judge Marcine Anderson set her bail at $10,000. The court documents also reveal one thing we hadn’t heard when we covered this incident Wednesday: West Seattle Optix told police the same woman tried to steal from them last Saturday, but left after being confronted. Her next hearing is set for Monday afternoon.

33 Replies to "CRIME WATCH FOLLOWUP: Bail set for Junction robbery suspect, much lower than requested"

• momosmom February 7, 2020 (11:22 am)

All I have to say is WOW are you kidding me?!  “bail be set at $80,000. But Judge Marcine Andderson set her bail at $10,000.”

• heartless February 7, 2020 (1:46 pm)

Perhaps she thought $10k was appropriate.  It does seem like it is her job to, well, judge things like that.

• Sixbuck February 7, 2020 (2:54 pm)

Correct. It is her job to judge. She I’m simply doing her job poorly.

• waikikigirl February 7, 2020 (3:10 pm)

Heartless I hope you’re being sarcastic? You did read this in the story didn’t you?Court documents say she has “an extensive arrest record with at least 6 (failure-to-appear warrants),” including the current one for another shoplift-turned-violent three years ago”

• heartless February 7, 2020 (5:35 pm)

No, I’m not at all being sarcastic when I suggest that an appointed judge who has heard the facts of the case is better suited to determine bail than random internet commentators.  I also understand the constitutional principle behind bail–something many people tend to forget.

• Rocky Raccoon February 7, 2020 (11:37 am)

Our justice system is so broken. Sad..

• Tom Jerry February 7, 2020 (12:50 pm)

I didn’t leave the Left, the Left, left me….

• Wsprayers February 7, 2020 (1:36 pm)

The left left me too….

• BG February 7, 2020 (11:57 am)

No surprise that the Judge let her out after six failure-to-appear warrants. Shoplifting is common in West Seattle these days and there are no consequences for doing it. I was in line at the Jefferson Square Safeway this morning and watched a guy just walk out the front door with a donut. Yeah, I know just a donut, but it is still stealing and the guy was not concerned in the least about getting caught. I am curious what the Chairperson of the Seattle City Council Public Safety and Human Services committee has to say about the lack of consequences for shoplifting and the impact it has on local businesses.

• sillygoose February 7, 2020 (1:43 pm)

I agree about Jefferson Safeway I watched a guy last Friday walk out with a bottle of vodka not a care in the world, usually I see people eating the donut in the store then walking out.  Crime is horrific in all stores what happened to store security that use to be up in the catwalks?

• Also John February 7, 2020 (4:17 pm)

I’ll add one…  About 2 years ago I watch a man with a full cart of groceries push it out the double doors.  I knew what he was about to do.  Be got to within 15 feet, looked around, saw it was clear and out he went.I ran to report him.  An employee said they’ve been directed to not stop any one.I’ve also seen a group of four high school aged males eating chicken at the pre-cook station.  Then they walked over and opened Gatorade and drank it.  They put the empty bottle on the shelf.  They saw me watching them but didn’t care.

• Me February 7, 2020 (12:30 pm)

Do we know why Marcine Andderson lowered the bail?  So this women can get out?

• WSB February 7, 2020 (12:56 pm)

She didn’t lower the bail. This is where she set it. I wish we had people to send to all these hearings, as that’s the only way to know a “why” – if discussed at all – but unfortunately we don’t. (Though we ARE at court right now, covering the sentencing in the Edixon Velasquez murder.)

• Jafo February 7, 2020 (1:15 pm)

Exactly, so this woman can get out and get back to her regularly scheduled criminal activity without further inconvenience. To paraphrase Sean Connery in “The Untouchables”: That’s the Seattle way!

• CAM February 7, 2020 (1:16 pm)

Probable cause documents let you know the prosecutor’s argument but there is no documentation submitted showing you how defense argued. There could be any number of reasons the judge didn’t follow the prosecutor’s recommendations. All of these hearings are typically audio recorded and on file with the clerk’s office. They rarely have actual stenographers anymore so unfortunately you don’t get typed transcripts too often.

• Drew February 7, 2020 (2:40 pm)

Even @ 10k, the woman would have to come up w/ $1,000 to pay a bail bond organization, which she probably doesn’t have.

• DRW February 7, 2020 (1:17 pm)

Thats as bad as the the the assault and robbery at Southside Pizza a few weeks back.  Lowered the perps bail and was released. WHY?!

• Fappy February 7, 2020 (1:31 pm)

Sad this is what has become all too common in Seattle. There are “laws” then there are “other laws”. Two sets of code, in reality. How can we be empowered to take back our communities and punish those that want to play by their own rules, unlike the rest of us?

• Anne February 7, 2020 (2:04 pm)

We vote on Judges-write her name down & keep in mind when she comes up on ballot again.

• Cbj February 7, 2020 (2:22 pm)

Those poor people, I’m sure they needed something to eat, the donut, and thirsty, the liquor.  The judicial system has compassion for those in need, recognize that the rest of us are privlidged and should just accept that these folks need as many chances as possible regardless how us privlidged folks feel and no matter how severe their infractions might be. total sarcasm if you  haven’t figured that out

• Pam February 7, 2020 (3:54 pm)

I think we should have a face to the name of the judges that work against (my opinion) our community.https://www.kingcounty.gov/courts/district-court/locations/Judge%20Anderson.aspx

• Will S. February 7, 2020 (5:31 pm)

Why do you need to know what the judge looks like? If you see her at the grocery store, are you really going to offer your criticism of her decision on a pretrial motion, where you haven’t read the briefs or heard the attorneys? Are you going to interrupt her stroll around Green Lake to demonstrate your understanding of the purpose of pretrial bail and how it differs from the purpose of punishment after a person has been convicted? Or are you just trying to create a “community” where judges feel intimidated by blog commenters and other voices from outside the courtroom?

• Mark Schletty February 7, 2020 (4:34 pm)

Thank you Tracy,  for the Judge’s name.  We all need to start making a record of the Judge’s names for the next election. Both the good ones and the overly leniently ones. Six failure to appear violations does not warrant low bail.

• frustrated February 7, 2020 (6:11 pm)

Do other large cities have the same catch and release mentality that Seattle does? It is SO frustrating. I sure am glad I am not a cop here in this city. What an absolute defeating feeling it must be to work hard at trying to clean up the streets, and just witness the revolving door of justice.

• CAM February 8, 2020 (10:47 am)

A. This isn’t catch and release. B. Catch and release is a degrading phrase that originated in reference to hunting animals. I’m sure there’s another way to say that that would be less demeaning to humanity. C. The concept you are referring suggests that a person will receive no punishment for their crimes. This woman hasn’t even been convicted yet. Maybe wait and see what happens before throwing the entire system under the bus. D. Yes, all areas across the country are revising their monetary bail practices to move away from financial impediments to pretrial release for all but those with a high risk to commit violent offenses or not show up to court. If you disagree with that I’d recommend reviewing the Constitution.

• bolo February 7, 2020 (8:55 pm)

“Crime doesn’t pay” is old news. From what I can see from current news, “Crime Pays!” Bigly!

• anonyme February 8, 2020 (7:16 am)

Most judges run unopposed, so there’s really no way to hold them accountable under the current system.  Perhaps judges shouldn’t have such a wide range of power, or maybe there should be some kind of panel making such decisions rather than a single individual.

• heartless February 8, 2020 (11:49 am)

I mean there is a panel of sorts, comprised of the prosecution, defense, & judge–not to mention, in this case, the constitution (see 8th Amendment).  Not sure what more you want, except maybe for everyone just to listen to the prosecution and ignore presumptions of innocence.

• WSB February 8, 2020 (11:59 am)

Also, the Legislature, which set the sentencing ranges.

• Wscommuter February 8, 2020 (10:06 am)

I don’t know this judge at all and I tend to fall more on the prosecution side of things, but I also fully know and appreciate that in the real world – as opposed to the ranting I read on WSB about cases like this – that the judge sitting on the bench has way more information to make his/her decision than I do in reading a news story in the paper or here on the blog.  So I am very uncomfortable with the ignorant ranting about “lenient judges” when I’m quite sure those ranting know nothing more than what they read here.  WSB gives us great information, but as Tracy acknowledges, there’s much they don’t know and therefore can’t report.   Judges are faced with dozens of these decisions daily when sitting on the jail 1st appearance calendar (which is the hearing reported here).   You want to remember this judge and vote against her because of this decision?  Go ahead – that’s your right.  But if you make such a decision on only the information you read here, then you’re an ignorant voter and an excellent example of why we should stop voting for judges.  Mob rule is the worst way to pick the people who are charged with interpreting the law.

• heartless February 8, 2020 (11:50 am)

As someone who tends to hate prosecutors, I appreciate your comments.  Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on this matter.

• Dontgothere February 8, 2020 (2:51 pm)

Who does this judge think she is- THE U.S. SENATE?!?

• Airwolf February 10, 2020 (11:58 am)

Judges should not make decisions to please  the voters.