SAFETY: Rally planned Friday morning on Admiral Way

In case you missed the discussion in comments following Wednesday’s report on the 46th/Admiral driver/pedestrians collision: Concerned families who have long advocated for more safety measures in the area plan to rally tomorrow (Friday) morning at 7:30 am, at 45th/Admiral. They are inviting community members to join them. Here’s Hollye‘s original announcement of the rally. .

10 Replies to "SAFETY: Rally planned Friday morning on Admiral Way"

• Wsea September 5, 2019 (8:40 pm)

Good job holly.  A crossing is a much needed improvement. I will get one out of 30+ who will stop for me at any corner on admiral.

• Mariem September 5, 2019 (10:01 pm)

Great grassroots activism Holly and others. I can’t attend but I love what you are doing.  Would love to see neighbors in WS rally in protest of gun violence too.

• MJ September 5, 2019 (10:38 pm)

A signalized, unwarranted, crossing exists one block to the west.  The City should have moved the crossing to the west side of 46th at that time.  It’s water under the bridge now!

• Graham September 6, 2019 (5:17 am)

Not sure your criteria for “unwarranted” at 47th. Five-way intersection with blind curves and a residential memory care facility at the start of the downhill slope, where the speeding can begin — excellent spot for signalized crossing. I use the crossing all the time and almost got hit once crossing with the light anyway. We need activated flashers, or a pedestrian island, or something else on Admiral at least 2 additional places: 45th or 46th as Holly is petitioning, and 49th as the city is already studying (another 5-way intersection with blind curves).

• ITotallyAgreeWithYou September 6, 2019 (8:20 am)

If the death of a man, Tatsuo Matthew Nakata, in the marked crosswalk with overhead caution lights of Admiral and 47th doesn’t warrant a traffic signal, I don’t know what would.

• TreeHouse September 6, 2019 (4:05 pm)

Typical MJ always advocating for automobiles and not safety. I think saving lives of people in our community warrant an extra 30 second delay in your drive.

• MJ September 6, 2019 (9:07 am)

There are specific traffic/pedestrian/incident data warrants for a signal.  None were met!  I specifically asked SDoT for the analysis that was never conducted.  The unwarranted signal was installed at great expense due to political pressure.

• WSB September 6, 2019 (9:13 am)

Pressure? A person died, community advocates campaigned, and it still took going on a decade for that signal to finally be installed. The area has densified in the meantime.

• Molly September 6, 2019 (9:52 am)

Her name is Hollye

• pedestrian September 6, 2019 (11:38 am)

I was walking by this rally as it was ending. Almost on cue, there was a close call between two cars at this intersection.