Big fire callout on SW Andover: Kitchen problem

1:16 PM: Just in case you saw the big fire callout in the 5200 block of SW Andover (map) this past half-hour and wondered about it – our crew reports it was a kitchen problem, generally described by firefighters as “food on the stove,” and is wrapping up.

4:25 PM: Commenters say it actually turned out to be electrical. We won’t be able to get a final report from SFD until Monday.

MONDAY UPDATE: SFD spokesperson Kyle Moore confirms that while it was a kitchen problem, as commenters noted, it did not turn out to be a cooking problem. He also says the smoke detector made a big difference:

We were dispatched at 12:59 p.m. to 5227 SW Andover St for reports of a fire in the kitchen. It turned out it was a dishwasher fire that extended to the kitchen cabinets. The occupant was home alone asleep and woke to to the smoke detectors going off and evacuated. Firefighters contained the fire to the kitchen. Minor fire damage but there was smoke damage inside the house. There were no injuries.

5 Replies to "Big fire callout on SW Andover: Kitchen problem"

  • JanS November 8, 2014 (3:06 pm)

    I learned the hard way…keep baking soda by the stove at all times.

  • John L November 8, 2014 (4:07 pm)

    I know the home owner of this property and can tell you that it was not food related. Looked to be electrical.

    • WSB November 8, 2014 (4:12 pm)

      “Food on the stove” came from a firefighter on scene.

  • Neighbor November 8, 2014 (4:13 pm)

    Fire caused by the garbage disposal or the dishwasher…electrical.

    • WSB November 8, 2014 (4:25 pm)

      I won’t be able to contact SFD for their final report until Monday. I’ll point the narrative to your comments.

Sorry, comment time is over.