Saw the Fauntleroy Cove commotion? Sailboat trouble

12:19 PM: We’ve just obtained some information on an incident that caught some attention on Fauntleroy Cove Sunday afternoon. A sailboat ran aground, and Seattle Fire Department crews helped make sure the person on board got to shore safely, according to SFD spokesperson Kyle Moore, who says, “Our engine company waded out in 1 foot of water. The lone occupant of the sailboat leaped to the firefighters and they took him to shore. He was uninjured.”

ADDED 5:49 PM: We’ve added photos just sent by Peter Hogan (thank you!).

5 Replies to "Saw the Fauntleroy Cove commotion? Sailboat trouble"

  • let them swim November 26, 2012 (4:57 pm)

    this is b.s. the fire dept. helping a grounded sailboat in one feet of water. why was the fire dept. called? it’s a coast guard problem. look at the picture on komo blog. the owner should have to pay for the stupid rescue. no one was in harms way. just a stupid sailor.

    • WSB November 26, 2012 (5:54 pm)

      LTS, we received a couple photos this afternoon so people can see for themselves here. As for whether it was a stupid rescue – it certainly looks unusual, but I honestly have no idea what the original call was – whether there was concern of injury, whether the man had a medical issue, didn’t feel safe jumping off the boat, or what. I only have the bit of information that I got from SFD, and likely will never get to see a full report. – TR

  • Janice November 26, 2012 (6:04 pm)

    Is this the same boat that had some trouble on Friday (around the time I boarded the 4:20pm ferry) and the Coast Guard was there? I watched them from the ferry dock, but couldn’t make out exactly what was going on.

  • Carolyn November 27, 2012 (8:06 am)

    Yes, this is the same boat as Friday. The Coast Guard towed the boat away and it ended up at Don Armeni boat launch. Sometime Saturday during the night (or early Sunday morning), the boat departed – only to end up back at the Cove. The person onboard doesn’t know anything about boating, and definitely nothing about sailing. It is a mystery to me how he got back to his original ‘mooring’ spot. His story is a sad one, he is homeless and traded his motorcycle for the boat with the thought he would have a roof over his head. His rubber raft dingy blew away last Tuesday, on Friday he shot off a flare and held up a sign asking for ‘HELP’, hence the Coast Guard visit.

  • Mary T November 27, 2012 (8:43 am)

    Thanks, Carolyn, for filling in the details. I’m shocked he got anywhere at all if he didn’t know how to sail. I certainly wouldn’t trust myself to try to move a sailboat. Here’s hoping he gets some help with it.

Sorry, comment time is over.