Holiday call for help: White Center Food Bank needs more turkeys

Local food banks are providing holiday food through Wednesday – and yet the need outstrips the supply. Though White Center Food Bank took in hundreds of turkeys on Saturday, Ann Kendall just sent word:

It looks like we are going to run out of turkeys – we’re only on day 1 of holiday distribution and things are getting sparse. In some years people have deferred on the turkeys but this year they are in high demand. We will be at the food bank to accept donations tonight until 6pm, Tuesday from 9-6 and 9-7 on Wednesday. Phone 206-762-2848 at the food bank.

WC Food Bank – which also serves southern West Seattle – is at 8th/108th. And if you can’t make it there but can donate a turkey, West Seattle Food Bank (35th/Morgan) is accepting turkeys till 7 tonight.

14 Replies to "Holiday call for help: White Center Food Bank needs more turkeys"

• coffee November 21, 2011 (5:22 pm)

I said it earlier….if you are going to Safeway and spend 150 you can get a free turkey that you should pick up and donate. It only takes a few minutes to run it up to the drop spot and its a great thing!

• JayDee November 21, 2011 (5:33 pm)

And for those who need fewer groceries, spend $25 at QFC and get a 16-24 pound bird for $0.39/pound or about $8. Plus, it is one turkey per transaction so you could be creative and get two birds for $50 in other groceries.

• Econ 101 November 21, 2011 (5:53 pm)

There is no such thing as a free turkey.
    Everyone else shopping at QFC and Safeway shares the cost.
    The Food Bank though, does get them for free, which is good with me.

• Econ 102 November 21, 2011 (6:36 pm)

Actually Econ 101, that is wrong. It is only correct if they are raising the prices of the groceries that you would normally buy from them. Otherwise, at all times when you shop for groceries are you sharing in the cost. This time, you get a turkey for your troubles.

• homesweethome November 21, 2011 (7:26 pm)

Thanks to everyone that has donated. In the past we (at the food bank) have also been able to purchase turkeys but this year’s wholesale cost is very high making it difficult for us to purchase them. Once again, many thanks. – AnnK.

• Econ 101 November 21, 2011 (7:55 pm)

Hey 102, I am correct. See Milton Friedman. Everyone is in fact sharing for the cost of turkeys anytime they shop at those stores. The stores pay for the turkeys and pass that cost onto all of their shoppers.

The same goes for the “free” shopping bags. We all pay for them, even when we bring in our own bags.

“There’s no such thing as a free lunch” or other variants) is a popular adage communicating the idea that it is impossible to get something for nothing.” Wikipedia

• Lolaleah November 21, 2011 (8:31 pm)

Seriously. Who cares if they are “free” or not? It’s a good deal. Let help our neighbors. I’m
    Going to qfc first thing tomorrow and bringing a turkey to the food bank. I highly suggest everyone else do the same if you can afford to. Just think how much better you feel knowing you helped a family enjoy the holiday.

• Mary November 21, 2011 (9:16 pm)

I don’t see myself getting to the store to buy a turkey and then to a drop-off point to deliver it in the next few days. Is there an online “make a donation and we’ll go buy a turkey” option?

• WSB November 21, 2011 (9:56 pm)

They can always use money, though I don’t know if they’ll be shopping in the next few days.
      http://www.whitecenterfoodbank.org – I believe the link is fairly prominent on their site. – TR

• coffee November 22, 2011 (7:51 am)

So I was in Safeway last night and picking up some wine and other items to get my total to 150 and there was a lady with a load of wine, she said she was breaking it into 2 purchases to get 2 free turkeys to donate. Smart.

• Jack November 22, 2011 (12:33 pm)

Hmm. I spent $175 last night at Safeway on California. I did not know and nobody told me about the turkey deal!

• nikki November 22, 2011 (5:00 pm)

I just heard that the White Center food bank has a huge shortage of food….. everything is needed. Please help.

• boy November 22, 2011 (5:09 pm)

Just run up to city hall, theres alot of turkeys we could give away for free.

• ws mama November 23, 2011 (7:51 am)

Not sure about safeway, but Qfc let me come in with my receipt from the day before and buy the discounted turkeys for the food bank. I spoke with a checker before I picked out the turkeys. Maybe call safesway and ask!