Update: Fire call a smoky scare

ORIGINAL REPORT, “FIRE IN SINGLE-FAMILY RESIDENCE,” 4800 BLOCK 51ST: Not far from where we’re headquartered for the weekend at The Junction – everyone heard nearby Station 32 roar out – we’re on the way to the scene. 4:18 PM UPDATE: Just a scare. The self-cleaning oven somehow came on, residents returned to house full of smoke. No damage.

9 Replies to "Update: Fire call a smoky scare"

  • JanS July 9, 2010 (4:36 pm)

    hope the oven is clean…but boy does that stink!

    and it’s hot…wait until a cooler day to do that stuff – lol…I know I am ( not doing much of anything at the moment )

  • JH July 9, 2010 (4:54 pm)

    Wow. 92 degrees out. You leave the house. Oh honey, let’s self-clean the oven! This should be a no brainer. I hope they got a good lecture, and I sure hope a real emergency wasn’t going on at the same time.

    • WSB July 9, 2010 (5:01 pm)

      I need to say, the oven may not have been turned on intentionally – Christopher got to the scene before we did and his note indicates it was an accident. So let’s please not rib the folks who may not have deliberately turned it on … TR

  • JH July 9, 2010 (5:06 pm)

    I retract if it was unintentional! That would be scary to come home to a house full of smoke and not knowing what the heck happened.

  • onceachef July 9, 2010 (5:13 pm)

    Sounds like the oven might have needed cleaning! :) Glad no one was hurt.

  • Carl July 9, 2010 (6:25 pm)

    Either it’s a curse on 51st…or the story is slightly off… We live on the 3800 block on 51sts. Close to Noon today, my wife put a burrito in the microwave for 2 minutes, then went outside to fill the pool for the kids. Some time went by and she went in to get the burrito, only to find the microwave engulfed in flames. No real damage…no more microwave and the house smells of smoke. The Fire Department rocks! The microwave was 145 degrees when they go there. My wife already got the fire out with the extinguisher we keep under the sink. Not the day you want to be airing out the house!

  • cjboffoli July 9, 2010 (7:25 pm)

    It was indeed unintentional. From what I was told at the scene the home owner only moved in yesterday. So she was unfamiliar with the new stove. Apparently, her father lives next door. He was laughing because, though no one was at home at the time the SFD was called out, the way the owners found out there was something happening at their house was because they read it in the West Seattle Blog! :-)

  • Carl July 9, 2010 (7:32 pm)

    Thanks for the update! I guess it is a curse on appliances on 51st! Good reminder to everyone…don’t leave the house with an appliance on. We’ve had the control panel on a dishwasher catch fire too…we were home then also.

Sorry, comment time is over.