Update: Arroyos whale out of sight, though not towed yet

Last update for the night on the gray whale that beached and died at The Arroyos on Wednesday afternoon: The whale is out of sight now, with high tide having just arrived, and night about to fall – the clip above is from a little more than an hour ago We just talked by phone with NOAA’s Kristin Wilkinson, who’s in charge of where the whale goes next. She says the people in the boat in our photo were there to “secure” the whale’s carcass so it won’t move up and down the beach with the tides. Once she has a location where it can be taken for examination, it’ll be towed, but they haven’t figured out yet where they can take it. We’ll be checking with her again in the morning. For one more view of the whale as it looked when it was exposed on the beach at low tide earlier today, here’s video by Christopher Boffoli:

11 Replies to "Update: Arroyos whale out of sight, though not towed yet"

  • ad April 15, 2010 (9:28 pm)

    WOW, all those little creatures living on whaley…

  • What The? April 15, 2010 (10:22 pm)

    Seriously shocked at the individual walking their dog up to the carcass off leash.

  • Leroniusmonkfish April 15, 2010 (11:19 pm)

    Off-leash whale eating dogs. Next thing you know dogs will open up a Trader Joes.

  • M April 16, 2010 (8:07 am)

    Maybe they should just blow it up:

    • WSB April 16, 2010 (8:18 am)

      as first mentioned two or three stories ago, and again in the previous story. No, sorry, nobody’ll ever do THAT again.

  • wsme April 16, 2010 (8:50 am)

    Christopher, I always enjoy your videos you produce for wsb. May I ask what type of camera you use for these?

  • cjboffoli April 16, 2010 (11:17 am)

    wsme: Thank you. Most of the images and video I shoot for the West Seattle Blog are produced with Canon 5DM2 DLSRs and Canon L-Series lenses.

  • Rhonda Porter April 16, 2010 (11:22 am)

    Any update on when/if the whale has been removed yet?

    • WSB April 16, 2010 (11:29 am)

      Funny, I just tweeted and am about to post a BlackBerry pic from Patrick. Though KOMO’s 11 am news claimed it had been towed away overnight, nope, the situation is what we reported last night – they weren’t going to be able to tow it until they find someplace to take it. That said, it’s way offshore, and though the tide still has two more hours to recede, I don’t know that it’s going to be particularly visible, since it is further out. Photo and separate item in a moment – TR

  • Eddie April 16, 2010 (11:44 am)

    Doesn’t it have to be parked there for 72 hours before the police will even take an abandoned report on it? Even then, they just put up an orange sticker that says they have 2 weeks to get it towed……

  • alkira April 16, 2010 (9:57 pm)

    That picture is disgusting. Really awful.

Sorry, comment time is over.