Update: Extension cord blamed for fire in apartment over market

Checking on the aftermath of the fire in the Juneau Street Market building on the southwest corner of California/Juneau (map), covered here as it unfolded late last night/early this morning (here’s our report, with video) — Both the market and neighboring Ho-Win Restaurant are locked up, with no notes on the door when we checked. We did meet one of the residents who escaped the fire in the apartment over the store. He says they’re OK and staying in a hotel. As for the fire’s cause, Fire Department spokesperson Helen Fitzpatrick just told us it’s been determined the fire was accidental, sparked by an “overheated extension cord.” Damage is estimated at $300,000, and confined to the second story of the building

9 Replies to "Update: Extension cord blamed for fire in apartment over market"

  • fluorescent carl September 6, 2009 (1:24 pm)

    Noooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! I need my Mu ShU!!

  • SwimmingMags September 6, 2009 (1:47 pm)

    Very tragic but glad no one was hurt. This is exactly why I unplug everthing when I leave my house (except for the fridge & built-in mirco). Leaving things plugged in 24/7 is wasteful and dangerous!

  • garybert September 6, 2009 (3:03 pm)

    I have been a loyal customer of HoWins for over a decade. While they have been dissed on other threads, I have always relished the hot and sour soup, General’s Chicken, and Happy Family. I hope they are back in operation soon. I know this can be devastating for a small family business.

  • jiggers September 6, 2009 (7:12 pm)

    Ho no.

  • Shae September 6, 2009 (8:14 pm)

    Crazy, I just order chinese food from Ho-wim last night for the first time ever, around 7pm. It was really good, hope they re-open soon. Glad nobody got hurt.

  • Catherine September 7, 2009 (12:20 am)

    Thanks for the update, glad everyone is okay. Hope they can put the pieces back together soon.

  • Elly September 7, 2009 (3:35 pm)

    Elly is taking care of mr. frog for them,he made it through the fire,and she says Mr Foggy IS A LUCKY FROG ,BUT crickets are 10 cent each and Branden owes me.from Elly

  • Lady J. September 7, 2009 (5:56 pm)

    I am so glad that my friends are safe. When something like this happens it makes you realize just how important the bonds that you have with your friends really are. My heart goes out to my two wonderful friends who have been there for me numerous times. I hope now in their time of need that I can do everything in my power to give them a helping hand, my love and support.
    We met this afternoon and I took a tour of the burned out apt. I was amazed by the destrution the the heat inside the unit caused. Windows broken, glass and mirrors cracked. Paint boiled off the walls and blinds melted. Everything inside is covered with a fine black soot powder, and the smell of fire is everywhere.
    Thankfully they did have insureance, but they have a lot of work ahead of them.
    I’m here for you both, if you need anything call, I love you! Jessi.

  • Ray West September 8, 2009 (10:58 am)

    I am so sorry to hear this, and was wondering what had happened. I sure hope it’s not the end of the building in its current form. I have so many fond childhood memories of the old “50-50” corner grocery (it’s former name) where I’d sneak down to get candy and some kid treasure. I’d hate to see yet another beloved California Ave. building razed to make room for one more generic (and hidious) condo/townhouse.

Sorry, comment time is over.