50/60 someting looking for play group

Home Forums WSB Reader Recommendations 50/60 someting looking for play group

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author

JoB
    Participant

i don’t mean to be elitist, but i am looking for playmates of a “certain age”. It’s not that i don’t want to make friends with younger people… i do.. but i need some playmates my own age too.

i am looking for someone who remembers exactly where they were standing the moment they heard JFK had been assassinated (i was in the hall at my high school), who knows what the bunny hop was and why we don’t’ want to do it any more, and who thinks they earned the wrinkles now adorning their face… ok.. i’d rather not see them either, but i did earn them.

i want to play with someone who remembers the words to louie louie and isn’t afraid to sing them out loud… or dance the popcorn to them.

i want to shop with someone whose waist size used to be her bust size, who realizes that even though we have aged, inside we are still teenagers or young women who still want to look cool.

ok guys.. that shopping thing wouldn’t be you. But i think some male playmates might be fun too.

Anyone want to toddle down the the local coffee shop… we could always go to the Luna.. at least the they have the music there and good milk shakes.

JanS
    Participant

yummmm…Luna Park milkshakes….mmmmmmmmmmm..

now what was that you were saying about waistlines? :P

JanS
    Participant

oh….and I was in the middle of German class…my teacher, from Germany…tattooed number on her wrist…and she broke down and wept….

Bernicki

JoB, are you going to be at C&P coffee tomorrow at 4:00? My mother-in-law has expressed interest in meeting you.

hopey
    Participant

If you get a group going, I hope you will post regular updates… my mother, who is 65 but looks & acts a lot younger, will be moving to Seattle sometime in the next year. She also visits frequently. I’d love to be able to tell her about opportunities to drop in on your group.

JoB
    Participant

Bernicki,

i am going to try to be at C&P tomorrow at 4.

and i am interested in meeting people of all ages… so please tell your mother in law i would love to meet her.

Bernicki

JoB,

My m-in-law is, like hopey’s mother, a young 65. She moved here a year ago from the bay area and has been living with us while she decides where she wants to live (currently looking in the Admiral area). Most of the people she’s been meeting have been our friends in their 30s and 40s, although she joined the Eagles and plays bridge regularly at the Senior Center. She’s very social and likes dancing, bowling, movies, and shopping, and she knows where C&P is because it’s across from Yarn Gallery; she likes knitting too. I’ll tell her about C&P at 4:00 and encourage her to go!

charlabob
    Participant

Hey, sign me up — though probably not for the shopping. I was working at a discount store in East Lansing, Michigan (PHT* — remember that particular insult to college-age women?) A colleague (black woman who tortured me endless for my sillass white attitudes) came to tell me. We were both crying and clinging together. It was the last hoorah in my quickly shrinking, daddy-induced life as a Goldwater conservative. From there to Gus Hall** and back (“Some people accuse me of wanting to step on the toes of big business — I don’t want to step on their toes–I want to step on their necks.”

* Pushing Hubby Through — an honorary degree for wives who worked while their husbands got degrees

** Perpetual Presidential candidate of the Communist Party USA

JoB
    Participant

charlabob..

i remember and lived my own PHT and although i never did go the gus hall route.. hubby did for a while… i too started out my political life supporting goldwater. i think most of us idealists of a certain age did.

we missed you at the antifreeze meeting. you would have enjoyed it. good mix of people and ages.

so maybe we will just have to pick a day and meet at the luna and see who shows up.

JanS
    Participant

funny thing….I was an official “Goldwater Girl” when I was in high school….got me out of quite a few classes ;-)

JoB
    Participant

ok ladies.. are we ladies who lunch? or do we go for the cocktail hour?

I know this lady isn’t often out past 10 PM.

Are we available only on weekends or do weekdays work too?

wade in.

JoB
    Participant

oops, i forgot to wade in myself. that was rude of me…

i favor weekdays but would do weekends to meet more people.. if weekends, i would prefer breakfast.. on saturday:)

I prefer lunch but can do the cocktail hour and munchies as long as no one minds that i won’t be drinking alcohol…

i can do a coffee house too… that works too.

I am currently not available monday and wednesday evenings (dog classes and the library). :)

charlabob
    Participant

Weekends work best for me; I do work at home once in a while and could get together then too.

How about Saturday or Sunday Brunch at the Skylark (one of my many favorite places in West Seattle — Hi Matthew!)

Brunch seems so much more civilized; ie, later — sleeping in.

http://www.skylarkcafe.com/

c

JanS
    Participant

well…I’m self-employed, so sometimes can be flexible with my schedule, sometimes not. JoB , what’s wrong with cocktails at lunch? lol…

and I’m usually always available on weekends…and yes, brunch is way more civilized than an early morning breakfast…hehe

I have met with Sue in the past around 5pm ish on a Friday for coffee/tea and pie at Shoofly…good pie, but if a whole bunch of us show up, there may not be a lot of seats. She’s in Vancouver at the moment until Sunday, and we’re supposed to talk aobut it when she gets back…

JoB
    Participant

brumch at the skylark works for me… and i can make sunday work as long as it’s not too late

charlabob
    Participant

Are we talking about THIS Sunday? Is this a chicks-only event or can the Bob come too? The Skylark isn’t fancy but it is fun — and the food rocks! Especially the specials. If we have an idea of how many to expect, I’ll let ’em know — ‘er, warn ’em we’re coming.

JoB
    Participant

yes charlabob.. let’s talk about this sunday. and i will bring my hubby as well… so bob can have someone to talk to:)

after all.. i don’t think we will be talking about shoppin the sunday:)

katydid

Hmmm, are there upper limits to this play group? I’m a tad older but lots of fun (I think) and looking for just the kind of playmates you are describing on your “wish” list. I’ve got wrinkles, bags and sags but still love playing and laughing – shopping not so much…I mean it isn’t a main event in my life anymore.

katydid

BTW, I was in the grocery store in Juneau, Alaska with my 3 kids. I can sing Louie, Louie…that’s not so hard, but you may not like my off key voice. And several years ago I was a member of the Raging Grannies…this may endear me to some and cause others to gag…whatever turns your crank.

katydid

oops…that Juneau thing was in reference to JFK’s death.

JoB
    Participant

katydid, you sound like my kind of playmate… and not the bunny kind either:)

charlabob
    Participant

As far as I’m concerned, there IS no limit (hey, aren’t we all, more or less, children of the sixties)? So far it sounds like there will be five of us — more ???? How’s 10:30? Skylark —

http://www.skylarkcafe.com/ If you’re just lurking, come on down. I think you’ll be able to spot us — we probably have fewer tats and piercings than the average bruncher. YES to raging grannies — when I get a bit more mobile, I’m there. I’m especially about the rage. :-)

katydid

wooohoo, see ya there!

JoB
    Participant

10:30 it is… so .. an open invitation to those “of a certain age” give or take a few years who would like to come brunch with us.. or just those who would like to hang out with some sweet little old possibly raging grannies:) …we will be at skylark.

JoB
    Participant

There were 5 (from not quite 50 to ???) of us ladies and 2 lads at brunch this morning.. and it was enough of a success for us to want to do it again.

So for all you who missed our first outing.. there will be another fairly soon on a saturday morning… time and place to be announced soon.

I don’t remember when i have enjoyed a group of “strangers” more.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.