1 year and counting before the first day of school

Home Forums West Seattle Schools 1 year and counting before the first day of school

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

wslee

We are down to one year before our 4 year old boy starts school in the north cluster of WS. I hear great things about all three schools, Lafayette, Alki and Schmitz. Any words of wisdom as to the different styles of these three schools? Test scores seem great for all three, how about the learning style? Is Lafayette more structured? Schmitz for the artistic? Alki?

WSB
    Keymaster

Our son spent one year at Alki and three years at Lafayette. He was in the Spectrum program at Lafayette and I cannot say enough incredible things about the teachers and staff at that school.

Alki was also a great school but did not have Spectrum so it didn’t meet our son’s academic needs and that’s the only reason we moved after one year.

Each school definitely has its emphasis areas and strengths – although under Dr. Goodloe-Johnson, the district is trying to move back to some degree of more uniformity, so that may have changed in the past couple years – but I would highly advise touring each school you’re considering, meeting the principals, and really evaluating before making your choices. There are some really amazing things going on in the schools around here (not just that cluster – we have covered interesting programs and cool people throughout the south cluster as well). Good luck, always a tough decision! – TR

add
    Participant

Yes – the benefits and curses of “school choice”!! I agree with TR, West Seattle is lucky to have so many good choices for public (and private) schools. Get out there, tour, use your gut instinct, and ask lots of questions of lots of people! The other thing to keep in mind is to not get too freaked out over the choice – kids are amazingly resilient and if your initial selection (or where you end up) doesn’t seem to be the right fit, you can always move your child to another school the following year.

I do know that the District is looking at enrollment policies and trying to rein in the open-choice system, but I’m not sure where they are in the process. Anyone have new info?

JanS
    Participant

TR…my daughter, now almost 28, was also in the “spectrum” program at Lafayette starting with 4th grade. I noticed in you bios that you mentioned Mrs. Bloom as one of his teachers. The daughter had her also…loved her. Loved the school…

goodgraces
    Participant

You didn’t mention Pathfinder . . . also in the vicinity of Schmitz/Alki/Lafayette. FABULOUS school. Our son has been there since Kindergarten (now in 3rd), and our daughter will definitely go there in 2 years when she goes to Kindergarten. I cannot say enough good things about the teachers there. Fantastic parent community, too. I think it’s West Seattle’s “hidden” gem. Our son has thrived there, and I absolutely love all of his peers and their families.

pam

Go to PTA meetings and listen to the parent involvement and hear what the teachers/staff are saying. It’s important to feel a part of the community as each school has it’s +’s and -‘s. The opinions will all be subjective so you have to do your own research.

OlMom
    Participant

School tours start in January. Which school is your reference school? The enrollment process may place you in your reference school even if that is not your first choice. I toured with parents who loved Lafayette and did not like Schmitz Park and vice versa so it is a matter of personal preference and what you think may be better for your particular child.

wslee

I love the westseattleblog! Thank you all for your thoughts and comments, you have calmed my nerves a bit and have given me some good ideas like attending the PTA meetings now. How would I know our reference school?

Luckie
    Participant

Here is a map showing the delineation of reference areas:

http://www.seattleschools.org/area/facilities-plan/geo/refarea/ref_area.html

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.