WSB Forum » Open Discussion

(163 posts)

What's your possibly trivial or irrational pet peeve?

• Started 1 year ago by squareeyes
  • Latest reply from squareeyes

1. squareeyes
    Member Profile

squareeyes

The "hey poopyhead' thread made me wonder... Do you have a pet peeve that could be considered incredibly trivial by others? I know I do.

This is car related. I would never leave my trash (coffee cup, food wrapper, shopping bag, newspaper, etc) in a friend's car, or change the heat/air setting or the radio station/volume without asking permission first. Ask first, or better, ask me to make the adjustment(my car, my control). Minor and inconsequential to some/many, but thoroughly rude to me. Sets me off like nothing else...

Oh, and that whole dog poop in my garbage can issue, but that's already well documented.

If you want to come and clean/tidy my house though, I have no control issues there.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  2. angelescrest
    Member Profile

angelescrest

Is it trivial?
    I hate when people lock their cars and then go "beep, beep, beep" with a remote. Why is that necessary? Try running or biking past while getting a shocking blast out of the blue...or try living across the street from a serial "beeper". Some are louder--and thus more abrupt--than others. Noise pollution. Ugh!

Posted 1 year ago #         
  3. funkietoo
    Member Profile

LOL...I have been in the rescue world way to long! Took this literally...a 'pet peeve' about one of my pets! And here it is.

In the last three months, Monet has decided to 'groom' my hair at night. Strange feeling to have your cat 'lick/clean' your hair...and then she chews off the ends so I have all these short pieces of hair at the hairline! Lovely.

When I'm awake, she can be gently stopped...but once asleep, the stealth groomer descends.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  4. SeekingEuros
    Member Profile

Sorry.... you asked for it. I have a few. Mostly assocaited with some form of body function. to keep it simple, I'll only list my top 5.

Double doors, where one side is kept locked for public access to/from a business. WTH do they bother to have a second door?

People who need to blow their noses, and but keep sniffling (I have seen this go on for hours). I will often hand someone a tissue, as I find that rude. Get off your duff and go get a tissue!

People who do not cover their mouths when they cough. It amazes how many adults forget what they were taught when they were 2 years old; come-on its a common courtesy.

People who snore on flights...... Gosh, I really want to scream at these people, as I am never able to sleep on a flight, and I just hate that sound.

Men who do not put the toilet seat down. My hubby knows that if the seat is up, the wife is very unhappy. Been years since I have found it up (thank you Mark) and as a result, I dont leave my feminine stuff in his way.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  5. tom kelley
    Member Profile

People on tv that incessantly use the phrase, ya know. I've created the ya-know-meter counting how many educated people use the phrase in an interview. One of the most frequent users? The Prez. The other one is the word absolutely used in answer to a question from a fellow talking head.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  6. singularname
    Member Profile

singularname

Knuckle-cracking ... *shudder*

Posted 1 year ago #         
  7. 2 Much Whine
    Member Profile

2 Much Whine

People that stand in line for 15 minutes doing whatever they do and then when it's finally their turn they decide to check out the menu or dig for their checkbook or decide which movie they want to see or look for their boarding pass or whatever. You're in line doing nothing - PAY ATTENTION!

Also, people that sit silently steaming next to me on an airplane while I snore away without letting me know. I will gladly forgo my sleep to make your flight better but can't do that if I am not aware I'm snoring. I confess - I'm THAT guy (but I don't want to be).

And another thing, what about those folks that don't wave or nod when you let them in front of you as they try to merge? Is it just me? A nod goes a long way. . . .

Posted 1 year ago #         
  8. People who say "supposably" instead of "supposedly".

Posted 1 year ago #         
  9. "Pike's Market"
    "Nordstrom's"
    "Simular"
    "Fermiliar"

Posted 1 year ago #         
  10. my biggest pet peeve:

you take the elevator down to the lobby, the doors open for you to get off, and there's somebody standing right in front of the door. they don't move out of the way to allow you to get off... better yet, they try to get on before you've exited the elevator. when I worked downtown in a tall office building, I was amazed at how many times that happened. and more often than not, they were carrying coffee cups, which I was afraid i was gong to jostle as I tried to squirm my way off the elevator.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  11. EX-pescially instead of especially!!

Those who cannot merge properly in traffic.

Those who cannot use the rope-tow at the Snoqualmie Tubing Center!

Posted 1 year ago #         
  12. Lindsey
    Member Profile

Lindsey

Baby on board signs on cars. They are stupid and pointless and I irrationally hate them. No one is more or less likely to ACCIDENTALLY hit a car because there's a baby in it. And guess what? Someone's (grown) baby is in every single car. So there.

I know this one is not technically incorrect, but I can't stand it when folks use "that" to refer to people, instead of "who." Example: I have a friend that hates baby on board signs. NO NO NO NO. You have a friend who hates baby on board signs.

@funkietoo Thanks for the laugh! I have a stealth night kitty who tries to make nests out of my hair every night at about 3am.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  13. WSratsinacage
    Member Profile

All of the above.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  14. Huindekmi
    Member Profile

People at work who take the last drop of coffee, but don't bother starting a fresh pot.

Drivers who are ambivalent towards pedestrians and think that the correct place to stop at an intersection is not at or behind the stop sign, but past the stop sign, through the crosswalk and with the nose of the car in the intersection. I almost got nailed by one such driver this morning.

Drivers who think that "Speed Limit" means Minimum Required Speed rather than Maximum Allowed Speed and proceed to tailgate, pass illegally or make other ill-advised, aggressive maneuvers when behind someone they feel is not going fast enough.

Loser vs. Looser

Posted 1 year ago #         
  15. WorldCitizen
    Member Profile

zgh2676

People who don't talk to their neighbors about any problem they might be having with them or their behavior and then anonymously post about said behavior on a blog.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  16. WSratsinacage
    Member Profile

WC, sad but true, it's often safer to post vs talk to your neighbor.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  17. hooper1961
    Member Profile

i have a number of pet peeves:

- speed limits that violate technical criteria. consistent limits based on technical (not political; aka fantasy engineering) create the safest environment for all users.
    - advocacy groups such as bike groups that want new bike facilities but then do not include a proposal how to fund it. in other words we want this but then want someone else to pay
    - teachers unions that protect ineffective teachers that has great adverse consequences on our children's education.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  18. westcoastdeb
    Member Profile

The phrase 'just sayin' ' - because obviously without it, I thought you were knitting it into a blanket and writing a play about it.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  19. Not using turn signals.
    All grammar peeves above and then some.
    Talking on your phone on the bus loud enough for others to hear.
    And... "So I was, like "nuh uh," and she was like, "duh," and I, like, went to tell her to, like, shut up? And she, like, got all, like, ya know... like, dumb? Like, she couldn't like, talk? Like everything was, like, a question?"

Posted 1 year ago #         
  20. hooper1961
    Member Profile

obamacare that essentially socializes insurance premiums by not allowing controllable risk factors (the factor in question cannot be mentioned) except smoking to be factored. further the mandate fines are a joke; a better approach deny services to those that do not buy insurance

Posted 1 year ago #         
  21. Hoop - totally not getting the idea of a pet peeve, here. But hey, rock on.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  22. I have this little thing about drivers trying to turn a corner in front of me with one hand steering, while they're talking on the phone with the other hand. And, invariably, they're in a huge SUV, and the traffic is heavy. They hold everyone up with their inattention.

(have been spending too much time in traffic lately - sigh)

Posted 1 year ago #         
  23. anonyme
    Member Profile

Most of the above, plus:

People who clip their nails or floss their teeth in public (like on the bus).

Yawning (sneezing, coughing) without covering.

Guys who make those absurdly loud snorting noises, apparently to clear testosterone-infused clots of phlegm. (I just tried to imitate one; the cat nearly hit the ceiling, and the dog bolted from the room).

Spitting.

Overuse of the words "actually" and "basically", or the phrases "as well" or "ya know what I'm sayin'?". Judge Judy loves to pounce on these, which always makes me chuckle.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  24. Filbert
    Member Profile

People that find a way to turn ANY topic whatsoever into a dim-witted screed against helping people who are sick.

Advocating withholding health care from poor people.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  25. WSratsinacage
    Member Profile

The ones amalia and anonyme stated.
    Most of mine seem to fall under lack of courtesy. People who act like they are the only one living on earth.. you know the ones who leave their cart in the center of the grocery aisle so neither direction can get through. Or they bump into you and don't say sorry or excuse me. People who do something totally illegal then flip you off like it's your fault. People who don't take responsibility for themselves. People who feel entitled to get what they want, when they want it, come hell or high water, for free.
    Car horns tied to car alarms is perhaps the worst thing ever invented.
    Noise pollution.
    The over use of the word literally.
    People who push the button for the walk light 20 times when it just needs to be pushed once.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  26. Lindsey-- My understanding is the baby on board signs are supposed to be an alert to emergency personnel, in the case of accident (or at least, that was the original purpose). Similar to the "pet in house" signs people put on their front window, in case of fire. Maybe knowing that will keep you from grinding your teeth when you see them? It's the only thing that keeps me from hating them too! (But don't get me started on stick-figure families on cars; yugh!)

Posted 1 year ago #         
  27. People who say "NUCULAR" instead of NUCLEAR!!!!!!!!!! It seriously makes me cringe!

I hate baby on board signs too!! I thought it was just me. I've always said I will NEVER have one of those, even though I love kids and can't wait to have my own :)

People who can't figure out how to navigate a 4-way stop.
    Littering.
    People who don't hold doors for others.
    People who pull up in the bank drive through cash machine and bump their music while im actually trying to hear what the hell the bank teller is saying.

Mostly I just can't stand people who are completely unaware of their surroundings and how their actions DO in fact affect others...

Posted 1 year ago #         
  28. Ms. Sparkles
    Member Profile

I think 90% of the posts are very reasonable reactions to inconsiderate actions by other. In the vein of Trivial and/ or Irrational I will share my own personal moral failing -

I hate it when people walk slowly in the middle of the sidewalk / aisle / walkway. My mother used to walk with a cane (can't walk at all anymore) and she once explained that people who feel unstable tend to walk in the center because they fear being bumped.

My failing is that even knowing this, or seeing that the person walking slow and center is a small child does NOT help. I still want to scream "Hey move it pokey!" - fortunately my self restraint has held firm ;-)

Posted 1 year ago #         
  29. Filbert
    Member Profile

I haven't seen a baby on board sign in 20 years, is this still even an issue?

How about hipster parents who think happy hour at a BAR is an appropriate place to have a birthday party/playdate/etc for their children?
    NEWS FLASH TO PARENTS: Happy Hour is where you go to GET AWAY from screaming little kids.

It's The Mission, not Chuck E Cheese.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  30. Stopping in the middle of the aisles in grocery stores. Especially at Costco, in the smaller spaces, they just leave the cart to go look at something, or stop to sample something, without a CLUE to might be behind them trying to get down the lane. Move it, people, I need to keep moving.....

Posted 1 year ago #         
  31. WorldCitizen
    Member Profile

zgh2676

Ahh, Costco. Bringing out the worst in people since 1983.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  32. WSratsinacage
    Member Profile

I 3rd Costco.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  33. Yes, Filbert...the Baby On Board signs are everywhere! Now that its on your mind, you'll start seeing them everywhere ;)

Posted 1 year ago #         
  34. KatherineL
    Member Profile

SUV's, vans and trucks parked in "Compacts only" parking spaces. You guessed it, I'm in that compact car roaming the parking lot.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  35. People who eat with their mouths open.

People who eat the crunchiest food ever during meetings.

All of my pet peeves revolve around eating. Don't even get me started on eating that takes place in a movie theater!!!

Posted 1 year ago #         
  36. People who walk down the middle of the street. Isn't that what SIDEWALKS are for?
    People who slow down when crossing the street in front of your car.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  37. hooper1961
    Member Profile

Post 34 yes very annoying. And getting stuck behind one in traffic because they block your view ahead.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  38. hooper1961
    Member Profile

people who back their car onto the street when should back their car from the street when they have full vision of pedestrians and control of traffic (much safer!). this way when they leave they are able to see pedestrians and traffic before entering onto the street.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  39. Ms. Sparkles..in your post #28...I am that person walking with the cane. Lately I have had two speeds, slow and stop. I simply don't move very fast. I have a neuropathy in my feet and ankles, so walk in the middle because I sometimes walk a little off balance.I don't want to stumble or fall by walking on uneven ground. A peeve of mine? People who walk faster and come up behind me, right behind me, and then sigh audibly, but don't say "excuse me".Happened to me at Met Mkt today. I heard her, I moved..

Posted 1 year ago #         
  40. Spring Chicken
    Member Profile

Spring Chicken

People who smoke in cars with kids!

People who throw gum on the ground!

People who stuff the overhead bins on airplanes!

People who write "LOL" after every stupid comment, LOL.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  41. Nobody's mentioned vocal fry, yet, or the sad disappearance of the subjunctive.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  42. hooper1961
    Member Profile

how about the irritating back up noise from trucks and even the battery powered carts. the constant beeping is very annoying. a few beeps ok but constant beeping no

Posted 1 year ago #         
  43. elikapeka
    Member Profile

People who open their car doors into traffic without looking, and then leave them open while they're doing something else! Look, I get that if you're loading the car seat or something, you might have to have the door open, but don't leave it open while you go get something out of your trunk!

"Irregardless"
    "pacific" for "specific"

Posted 1 year ago #         
  44. acemotel
    Member Profile

acemotel

ahh, these are great! The grammar ones, definately!

Also, the people in line at airport security who wait until the last minute to take of their shoes and belts and hold up the line while they search for their laptop in the suitcase; and likewise, on the other end, stand right next to the conveyer belt while they get dressed and organize all their stuff again. This usually happens at 6 am, or some ungodly hour, and makes me very cranky!

Posted 1 year ago #         
  45. One of my ridiculous pet peeves is that the cleaning person who empties my garbage/recycling cans at the office always puts them back in the opposite space. I know it's no big deal, and I try to just be grateful that someone is doing this task for me, but I can't help but get annoyed for a brief moment every morning when I have to reverse them.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  46. SarahScoot
    Member Profile

SarahScoot

Ha! Sue, I don't find that annoying, per se, but it does confuse me. I could swear it's a game; one day I come into my office and the recycling can is on the left. The next day it's on the right. Rinse, repeat for eternity.

The grammatical/spelling errors mentioned above bother me, as well. "Who" vs. "that," especially. Another one I haven't seen mentioned: "which" vs. "that." It's a trickier one, since apparently British English really favors "which" in all circumstances; I have to remind myself of that fact when listening to BBC news on KUOW.

Driving pet peeves: People who trail really far behind the car ahead of them, but then manage to get their sh*t together and speed up when approaching a yellow light... leaving me at the red, even though we both could have made it through had the driver not left ten car lengths between himself and the car ahead of him.

Also, 35th Ave. may be 35 mph, but guess what? So is most of California Ave. That's THIRTY-FIVE, not twenty (barring active school zones, of course). Too many West Seattleites don't seem to understand this.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  47. WSratsinacage
    Member Profile

Their, there, and they're .. how hard is it to use the right one!? :)

Posted 1 year ago #         
  48. tom kelley
    Member Profile

How about the people who sit at a stop light and fail to turn on their left turn signal until the light turns green.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  49. Oh, this thread is a dream come true for me. I might even have to come back later to list more:

TOP PEEVE: People who snap, crack and pop their chewing gum. Especially on the bus when there is no escape. I bought headphones but sometimes I can still hear it. It puts me in kill mode instantly.

When people stand in the middle of the escalator, not leaving room for people to pass. I'll walk up and say "excuse me' and get looked at like I'm the rude one!

People who put their bags, purse, backpack, etc. on the bus seat next to them instead of holding it on their lap, especially when the bus is full. Having to say "excuse me" to get their attention and ask to sit down.

Litterbugs and SMOKERS who throw their ciggy butts on the ground. The earth is not your ashtray! It actually is illegal to throw burning objects on the ground but unless a cop is around to witness it, what're you gonna do? I'll say "You dropped something" or "Here, let me get that for you" in hopes of making them feel like an ass.

Stupid trendy sayings like "nom nom nom", "sad panda",etc.-mostly seen on Facebook. I also hate "LOL".

Posted 1 year ago #         
  50. Ooh ooh, two more! People who take forever to turn the corner when driving. Just make it happen so we can all go on with our lives! (I do admit that I'm an impatient driver)

When people say "rilliter" for realtor.

I think someone mentioned "fermiliar"; also "fertographer". Or "narcist" for "narcissist".

Oh yeah, the people who are waiting at the bus stop and then start digging around for money, bus pass or whatever only after boarding the bus. What's wrong with them?! (So many bus peeves).

Posted 1 year ago #         

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.

All contents copyright 2014, A Drink of Water and a Story Interactive. Here's how to contact us.
Header image by Nick Adams. ABSOLUTELY NO WSB PHOTO REUSE WITHOUT SITE OWNERS' PERMISSION.
Entries and comments feeds. ^Top^