WSB Forum » Open Discussion

(19 posts)

What are they building over on SW Kenyon?

• Started 1 year ago by highpointwesty
  • Latest reply from kgdlg

1. highpointwesty
    Member Profile

It's been months of pounding, bulldozing, and now there are 2 giant structures towering over our residential yards at the east end of SW Kenyon. Are they homes or are they apartments? They're gargantuan, and basically block the sun out of every house within a 1 block radius east of them . I've tried to find permiting info on them to no avail and everyone around us seems to have a different idea of what these monstrosities will be. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Posted 1 year ago #         
  2. Hi - any time you have a "what's this?" question please feel free to contact us (editor@westseattleblog.com) - Do you have an address or at least cross-street? - Tracy

Posted 1 year ago #         
  3. Hi, I live a block west and have been watching this happen over the last year. The builder (don't know who) is redeveloping a large lot that previously had a tiny cottage on it (prob no more than 900 sf). So, it is your typical short plat (separate one into two parcels) and then knock down old structure and replace with large ones.

I have to agree, that the two buildings (I believe the permit I read on the sign said both are single family homes) are not only large, but REALLY ugly. They make me cringe. But as far as I can tell, they are totally allowable in our single family zoning.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  4. luckymom30
    Member Profile

5. luckymom, this is a development project, not transportation. however, i cross 35th daily to take the bus and it sucks to not have a cross walk there. am considering jogging up to holden where there is a light just to be safe!

Posted 1 year ago #         
  6. east end of sw kenyon is industrial where it intersects with 1st ave s and 2nd ave SW.

Where is this development your talking about?

Kenyon like many Seattle streets that run east west, starts and stops at every ridge or gully.

whats the cross street?

Posted 1 year ago #         
  7. 36th and Kenyon one block west of swedish auto

Posted 1 year ago #         
  8. SarahScoot
    Member Profile

SarahScoot

Thank you, Ken. Cross streets are vital reference points, people.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  9. Just FYI, I sent the permit pages to the OP, who e-mailed me to followup. Yes, they are single family homes.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  10. Wow WSB, talk about service!

I can see from this project what the "One lot one home" people are complaining about. It hardly seems environmentally responsible to take a 900 sf house and replace it with two 3500 sf houses on the same size lot, simply from a resource consumption perspective. However, it is still better than those two houses being built on an acre each out in Duvall, which is the point of the Growth Management Act I guess. When I walked by today they looked slightly better with doors and windows installed, although still pretty ugly.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  11. kgdlg: I'm just a few blocks west and drive by those houses everyday enroute to mine. Yeah those 2 houses do stand out compared to the older houses. If I read the permit correctly they are by Playhouse: http://www.playhousenow.com/ . There are several similar already built ones within the 35th/California/Holden/Thistle chunk. Note that almost every relatively new house: "modern" or "craftsman" (including my craftsman style that is 10 years old that we bought last year) is going to be 2-3 stories and will stand out compared to the houses built originally in 1910/1940. We are just more demanding than our parents/grandparents. People are not going to buy a new 700-1000 sq ft house in any significant way that influences developers.

And yeah, i wish the crosswalk was marked better. It is tricky to cross when stumbling back home from Locol :)

PS: I think the OP is talking about a completely different intersection.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  12. If you follow the link you will see that the "designers" think a pale gray text on a white background is a good idea. That's enough for me to close the page but others may think differently.

Even after reading the "about" page it is not clear what the company does.

I have to put "designers" and "marketers" together in the list of the first to be eaten in the zombie apocalypse.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  13. I see now the OP said east end of Kenyon, apologies!

I know we live in bigger houses now. And I don't hate modern at all. It just seems counter to the point of the GMA which is all about conservation, to be building huge energy sucking houses!

Posted 1 year ago #         
  14. pigeonmom
    Member Profile

pigeonmom

Is it me or did that playhouse page seem unwelcoming, cold and testosterone-laden?

Posted 1 year ago #         
  15. velo_nut
    Member Profile

velo_nut

Really????????

I just ran past your "towers"... Those are houses. Nothing more, nothing less. In fact, there are taller houses less then a block away.

Some people just hate "new".

Posted 1 year ago #         
  16. pigeonmom...I didn't feel welcomed on their page at all...I felt like I wasn't "in" on their "coolness", like there was some sort of private joke or something. I didn't feel any urge to click on things to learn more...

Posted 1 year ago #         
  17. highpointwesty
    Member Profile

Hang on, let me put on my yuppie, daily jogger meets super sarcastic, but ever so slightly passive aggressive Seattle hipster pants. ....K, all set. Hey Velo, i said "structures towering", not "towers". Why don't you try jogging less, and brushing up on your reading and comprehension skills? ...and, oh yeah, the fine art of "shutty!" Some people "hate new"?...hmm..sure, some people also hate Cancer, or having NO say in monolithic structures built near them,..like oh, say enduring half a year of never ending noise, resultant in energy sucking, square foot monster houses with NO yards that literally block out the SUN for anyone within 200 yards of them. It's awesome and thanks for jogging by to add your 2 cents. I feel better just knowing you personally checked on the project and jogged by to take a huge poo on an otherwise innocent question/posting.

WSB, thank you for the awesome follow up. Question answered, you rock.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  18. velo_nut
    Member Profile

velo_nut

Comprehension skills are just fine, thank you. 200 yards? Doubt it. Noise? Close enough to 35th to be used to it, I'm sure. Cancer? Had it, it sucks. Energy sucking? Guarantee BOTH of those new houses use less energy in a year than your house does.

Keep on whining...

Posted 1 year ago #         
  19. chill out guys/gals!

velo_nut, your point is well taken, that these two large built to new code houses are probably a lot tighter than the little cottage that was demolished. And, given Seattle demographics, they may each eventually be occupied by a childless couple. so low utility usage compared to a 5 person family.

so I shouldn't make pronouncements about resource conservation without knowing the specifics.

but to each his own on design. Some people love the modern new houses, some don't. i myself am in the middle. i like some new houses as much as some old craftsmans. it depends on the lot, location, materials, etc. etc. again, to each his/her own.

Posted 1 year ago #         

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

All contents copyright 2014, A Drink of Water and a Story Interactive. Here's how to contact us.
Header image by Nick Adams. ABSOLUTELY NO WSB PHOTO REUSE WITHOUT SITE OWNERS' PERMISSION.
Entries and comments feeds. ^Top^