WSB Forum » Freebies, Sales, Trades

(12 posts)

Wanted: Old-Fashioned Clothesline

1. Does anyone know where I might find one of those old-style square "umbrella" clotheslines? It doesn't have to be new, just in good condition. I already have the pipe in the ground, so I'm ready to go. If you have one you'd be willing to part with I can come and get it. Please let me know how I can contact you and what you might be asking for it. Thank you!

Posted 1 year ago #         
  2. Talaki34
    Member Profile

Talaki34

I would suggest checking the local hardware stores or Home Depot. If they don't have them in stock, they might be able to order. There are several online stores that have a good selection too.

For some reason this just sticks in my head. Aren't there areas in the city where you cannot hang your clothes outside?

Posted 1 year ago #         
  3. i saw them at Lowes near Southcenter yesterday

Posted 1 year ago #         
  4. Talaki34

i think there are neighborhood covenants that prohibit hanging clothing outside..
    but that prohibition is also written into every rental contract i have signed here in Seattle..

Posted 1 year ago #         
  5. Thanks for the ideas.

I suppose that could be right, Talaki34. The post in the ground is from the lady who lived here for 53 years before I did, and I have a big backyeard, so I can't imagine anyone would fuss. I won't put it on the parking strip or anything!

Posted 1 year ago #         
  6. Thanks for the ideas- this is great!

I suppose that could be right, Talaki34. The pipe in the ground is from the lady who lived here for 53 years before I didn, and I have a big backyard, so I can't imagine anyone would fuss. I won't put it on the parking strip or anything!

Posted 1 year ago #         
  7. Talaki34
    Member Profile

Talaki34

Actually, I didn't know you weren’t supposed to do it until I overheard a conversation on the subject. Surprised me!

I like hanging my clothes outside to dry, especially bedding.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  8. Seems ridiculous that anyone would not allow this as every country in the rest of the world does this. It saves energy and is all natural. It's kinda like saying that no matter where you go, you must drive and not walk....

Posted 1 year ago #         
  9. 2 Much Whine
    Member Profile

2 Much Whine

Funny story (if anyone cares). The first time we lived in Italy we were looking at villas (sounds so much more impressive than "looking at houses"). But it's really the same thing. We noticed a clothesline outside and indicated we'd want a dryer inside the house. The landlord indicated that would be no problem at all. He could set one up in the kitchen. Then he made a motion with his hands like he was tracing the ceiling with the new location of the indoor clothesline he'd install for us. It took a bit to explain that we wanted a traditional style "dryer,". We bought one but the plug didn't fit the outlet by the washer so the next day a miracle happened. The plug fit! Unfortunately he put in a new outlet but left the existing wiring so a few months later our house caught fire! Everyone was ok. But in retrospect perhaps an indoor clothesline (in our kitchen no less) would have been a better choice.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  10. nighthawk
    Member Profile

IKEA has a smaller one but I would say check amazon if you can't find one locally. I needed some wood clothes pins for a craft project and they were seemingly impossible to find. Finally found them at True Value in the Junction. Both spring and static ones.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  11. @ 2MuchWhine: Yikes!! A story on Weekend Edition tonight about driers catching on fire, too. Mine sparked out, that's why I'm going natural for now, and I really kind of like it.

@nighthawk: Junction True Value never fails me.

Posted 1 year ago #         

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

All contents copyright 2014, A Drink of Water and a Story Interactive. Here's how to contact us.
Header image by Nick Adams. ABSOLUTELY NO WSB PHOTO REUSE WITHOUT SITE OWNERS' PERMISSION.
Entries and comments feeds. ^Top^