WSB Forum » Open Discussion

(24 posts)

Target selling beer in kid's section

1. Target has a large display of beer in the little girls clothing section by the Disney display. When asked about it the manager said it was for superbowl sales promotion and that corner is prominent. it seems irresponsible to sell alcohol in a kid section with child drinking on the rise regardless of the reasoning. According to the manager i spoke with it was a store decision to put the beer in the kid section. I you want to voice your opinion please do. The manager's name is Josh Sparks and can be reached at Joshua.Sparks@target.com.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  2. shihtzu
    Member Profile

Comment deleted...

Posted 1 year ago #         
  3. velo_nut
    Member Profile

velo_nut

Don't like it? Don't shop there. There's liquor right next to the milk in QFC. Have a problem with that too?

Whine whine whine whine.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  4. Well said velo.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  5. Go Target!

If you don't like it, don't shop there.

It's not like the little precious snowflakes will be buying a 6 pack with their Under Roos.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  6. i don't shop there
    pretty much haven't for some time

Posted 1 year ago #         
  7. me neither, JoB...it's been years...

while I wouldn't go as far as velo with his whine, whine, whine...I would say, yes, I agree, choose your battles. The kids are not going to be buying beer at the register. If you go to Safeway, there is beer out in some aisle displays, and liquor, too. Kids walk by it all the time. Now, if it was targeted at teens, I might have a problem, as they tend to use a 5 finger discount at times...

Posted 1 year ago #         
  8. Wouldn't have even phased me, I have to be honest.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  9. HunterG
    Member Profile

HunterG

The comments about this story on Facebook are hilarious. I would be more concerned about being able to buy a 24 pack of childhood obesity in a can for 12 bucks, which is in the same display.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  10. annaeileen
    Member Profile

Why not talk to your kids about alcohol, marketing and the evils of corn syrup? If you shelter your kids that much, they will not know how to live with most of our society, they will be overwhelmed. Don't shop at stores if you don't like what they sell.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  11. So I don't know if I have right to even say anything as I do not have kids.

So while a bit "odd" it is there for a short time. It is NO worse than the violent video games. If a kids plays with them does that make them more violent, I don't know.

My parents never drank around me and my brother. So I never thought of alcohol as "bad".

Although I do find it disturbing how much adults drink around kids. I am more concerned about that and what they "see". All of my friends would go drink out of their parents cans of beer. So "seeing" a display is not a big deal, I think seeing what the adults do with it in front of children is more of an issue.

HH

Posted 1 year ago #         
  12. HunterG...I noticed that the original poster did not object to the Coke w/ HFCS being displayed...

Posted 1 year ago #         
  13. denverelle
    Member Profile

The display is not "in" the children's section: it's in a main walkway that passes by that section.You could have very well angled the camera the other direction, and would have noticed the greeting cards section on the other side of this display- an area where children might also frequent. I think you disregarded the fact that there are also non-alcoholic beverages on display right next to the beer. It just happens to be in a prominent location for marketing/sales for the upcoming Super Bowl. It's not like Target is pushing alcoholic sales on the kids- clearly. This sounds as if it was more of a personal red flag if anything.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  14. luckymom30
    Member Profile

It is your job as a parent to teach your children the difference between right and wrong, not Target.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  15. Want to remove all references to alcohol that children come across? That would be most all stores, 7-11's, tv, billboards. Like trying to remove pee from the pool.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  16. Wow hit a nerve. This is about merchandising a regulated substance in an area designated for kids. Like not selling cigarettes in the toy section. Target is not evil. they just made an irresponsible choice. Of course parents should teach their kids right and wrong and how to make good choices. We also should teach them we are responsible for each other and that profit is not more important than taking care of kids. Childhood alcoholism is on the rise. Maybe we should use some common sense.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  17. Coke and beer are not the same. Coke is not regulated. As for not being in a kid section. The display is definitely in girls clothing section. It is directly next to the disney clothes dislpay. Many girls hang out in that area. I agree the spot was chosen for its strategic location. That is my point. More thought was given to sales than common good. Clearly Target is not merchandising beer to kids but if you think advertising beer in an area otherwise filled with items merchandised to kids does not impact kids thinking about drinking beer you are mistaken. Seems like a small thing not to add this to the many other experiences that encourage early drinking. We owe it to our kids

Posted 1 year ago #         
  18. As a sober person, I do not think it has been made clear how the "common good" is threatened by beer in close proximity to a Children's clothing section. This is a tenuous argument at best. I don't believe there is any research showing that location of alcohol impacts alcoholism or under age drinking. If this were the case every household with alcohol in it would have drunk kids walking around needing to attend AA.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  19. singularname
    Member Profile

singularname

I'd prefer beer ads in my kid's line-of-sight over anything football. And Disney? Frightening! Point being: It's parents who need to take responsibility and teach children their values and how to deal with the world. I'll never forget my dad driving me through the prostitution "hub" of New Orleans when I was 5 or 6 as we drove home from a carnival. Teachings I'll never forget (and he didn't damn the prostitutes either).

Posted 1 year ago #         
  20. WorldCitizen
    Member Profile

zgh2676

Not even close to an issue.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  21. Genesee Hill
    Member Profile

Genesee Hill

My toilet is right next to where I brush my teeth. Yuck.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  22. sleeplessbutnotinSeattle
    Member Profile

LOL Genesee! Point well made! Just because beer is located in the girls department doesn't mean Target is marketing it to children. Just happens to be a good location for those getting ready for super bowl! I think we have bigger fish to fry!

Posted 1 year ago #         
  23. BrassyMomma
    Member Profile

BrassyMomma

Hey there debc,

I thought it was inappropriately placed, too.

Thanks for showing concern. I study media literacy and have been in media/advertising/design for a long time. You were not in the wrong to say something. It does matter. A lot.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  24. >>My toilet is right next to where I brush my teeth.

–Well, that would explain a few things, GH . . .

kidding . . . KIDDING!!!

[Geez!!!]

Both sides are right on this one, actually.

Yes, it IS up to parents to explain the dangers of the world to their kids. However, it is ALSO up to businesses and advertisers not to make it unnecessarily tough on parents by exposing kids to needless temptation.

The problem lies in just where to draw the line in each case.

Let's take TV for example. Some violence and foul language is allowed on prime-time when it's assumed that kids are watching. Parents are supposed to monitor what their kids watch, but that doesn't mean that TV stations bear no responsibility for monitoring themselves. They most certainly DO bear responsibility for monitoring, right along with the parents.

This is a well-established principle in our society. Doesn't mean that debc is right in this particular case. It only means that there's some precedent and a legal-ethical framework from which she can try to make her case.

Posted 1 year ago #         

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

All contents copyright 2014, A Drink of Water and a Story Interactive. Here's how to contact us.
Header image by Nick Adams. ABSOLUTELY NO WSB PHOTO REUSE WITHOUT SITE OWNERS' PERMISSION.
Entries and comments feeds. ^Top^