WSB Forum » West Seattle Schools

(15 posts)

SOS! Pre-Preschool advice needed! (1.5year old)

1. NeeseFam
    Member Profile

Hi all,

Hoping for some feedback on a 1-3 day a week program for a 1.5 year old. I know that sounds young, but she's quite an active girl and in need of some more kid interaction. We realize she's young but would like it to be in some kind of structured play/learning environment versus just a daycare where she'll be shoved in a corner watching a movie... She is our first so I'm not sure of the terminology for the different types/levels of early learning/pre-preschool programs but any advice is welcome! Bright Horizons only offers a full time 5 day/week program with no drop in or part time option. Ideally we'd like a 2 day a week place that offers some learning activities, play/games, music and reading,,,I would LOVE if there were anywhere with some French influence, if anyone knows of any?

Our intention isn't to put her in a program to try and turn her into a baby genius (although that's fine too ;)) it's for her so she can get out of the house more and away from me all the time haha! aka. have regular interaction with kids her own age. She's such a sponge and seems like she's eager to kick it up a notch :)

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read and any helpful tips!!

Posted 1 year ago #         
  2. wsmama3
    Member Profile

My family loves co-op preschools.
    I've heard really great things about EuropaKids - not sure about the schedule and French. Good luck!

Posted 1 year ago #         
  3. nighthawk
    Member Profile

Co-op preschool might be something you are looking for. There is one run through South Seattle Community College.

My older dd goes to Europa kids. We love it. The languages they offer though are German, Spanish, and Chinese.

There are French immersion programs around just not in W. Seattle I think. If you search for french immersion preschools in Seattle you will find some it's just a matter of where you are willing to go.

Montessori might be another type that you are looking for (although I personally don't know anything about the ones in W. Seattle).

Posted 1 year ago #         
  4. NeeseFam
    Member Profile

Thanks! I have heard great things about the co-ops but think I heard the parents have to attend as well or something along those lines, any idea if that's true? I don't mind helping out etc but really need some time to do things while she's there having fun ideally :)

Posted 1 year ago #         
  5. Monosyllabic Girl
    Member Profile

That's correct. Co-op is attend with your child one day a week. The number of days they attend is equivalent to their age as of Aug 31st. 1year old = 1day, 2 year old = 2 days, etc. With the older kids you just attend one day and drop them off on the others. Most "traditional" preschools around WS don't start taking kids until two and a half or potty trained. Other places I know of with programs for young tots like the ILC and Bella Mente have wait lists so long you would have needed to put your child on while they were still a fetus to have any chance of getting in. Two other young tot programs that I know of are the Messy Play Day at The Community School of West Seattle and Sweet Pea Wees at Sweet Pea Cottage. These are both attend with your child as well. Europa Kids might be your best bet for shortest wait list with their half-day program. FWIW, I attended the Co-op one day toddlers class with my daughter last year and had a blast.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  6. When does she turn 2? It will be tricky to find something drop off for a tot that young. I totally understand your need for some sanity time though. That is why my 3.5 year old goes to daycare two days a week. :) This is preschool registration time for next fall so if your daughter turns two by the end of August, you should be registering now anyway. Most twos programs are two days 2-3 hours. Little Pilgrims, A Child Becomes, Co-op, CSWS, Cometa, and the ones mentioned are possibilities. I think your best bet would be to either work out a childcare swap or pay another mom or a sitter to watch her for a few hours each week to give you a break. Then, enroll in a 2's program next fall. I did a swap with a friend last year that gave me about 4 hours a week and it was great. My son goes to the YMCA preschool which is a wonderful program, but has a long waitlist. They also have to be 2.5 and potty trained to attend. If you are interested, call them now for next year. Good luck.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  7. It is not drop off, but I also highly recommend the WS YMCA. The childcare is wonderful. They have a toddler room which is super fun. Kids get to play and parents get a 2 hour break to work out or sit and drink a cup of coffee and read a book. ;). It has been a lifeline for me as a sahm with both of my kids. The staff are fantastic and take great care of the kiddos. If you have a laptop and have work to do on that, you could always add that into the routine if you want to join. I see other parents doing that.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  8. NeeseFam
    Member Profile

I emailed the co-ops as well as a few others and will call today when baby is napping now that they'll be open. In the meantime does anybody know... Since she's 1 and would go to the co-op 1 day a week for that ae group, would we go once and my day would be the day she went, or would I take her 1 day a week (say Tuesday for example) and then have to go back without her a 2nd day a week for my day to help (say Thursday for example)? The reason I ask is that I'm curious if in order to participate in co-op if I'd basically have to find and pay for another daycare 1 day a week in addition to her co-op day or if she could come with me on my day as well so I didn't have to pay a sitter another day a week... If that makes sense ;)

Posted 1 year ago #         
  9. The one day coop groups are parent attended (this is what you would do with your child at her current age.). For the two day (2 yo) classes, you work one day and drop off the other. The day you work, you go with your child so you would not need other childcare. You would go together.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  10. NeeseFam
    Member Profile

Perfect that's the answer I was hoping for :) Ty!!

Posted 1 year ago #         
  11. wsmama3
    Member Profile

If you want to talk co-op I'd be happy too! Several have facebook pages and I'd be happy to talk about our infant - 4's class experiences. I get the sanity break and co-op gives me that AND some great friends (play dates!).

Posted 1 year ago #         
  12. NeeseFam
    Member Profile

On a side note, if anyone looking for a French immersion preschool stumbles upon this thread, I did find 2 that started at ages 2-2.5 and have included the links below but nothing for younger ages and nothing in West Seattle. I did find a French daycare in Ballard, however their link doesn't appear to work leading me to believe they may no longer be in operation? (Not sure of course).

Posted 1 year ago #         
  13. NeeseFam
    Member Profile

Madrona:

http://www.lesenfantsdeseattle.com/

Ballard/QA (Interbay ish I think):

http://frenchmorningspreschool.com/
    And while this one doesn't offer any programs for younger than 2.5 they did say they had a weekly French story time for all ages from 4-4:45 on Thursdays I believe which could be a free easy way to expose your children.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  14. NeeseFam
    Member Profile

It's sounding like maybe of the options available the Europa 2 day program and the 1 day co-op option available at this age might be the way to go. We get a break from each other and we would get some quality experiences together at the co-op (it sounds like anyway) which would both be beneficial! I'm curious what happens if she's hearing Spanish & German at Europa and is then transferred into a French speaking preschool later on... Might be too confusing so maybe my French fantasy won't be happening after all ;)

Posted 1 year ago #         
  15. You might want to try Lindsey Luoma at Earth Mother in Southpark. She has just re-focused her program for just the under 3's. She is lovely and I have a few moms who use her before they transition into pre-school at 3. And I think does part time.
    Her number is (206)714-1377

Posted 1 year ago #         

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

All contents copyright 2014, A Drink of Water and a Story Interactive. Here's how to contact us.
Header image by Nick Adams. ABSOLUTELY NO WSB PHOTO REUSE WITHOUT SITE OWNERS' PERMISSION.
Entries and comments feeds. ^Top^