WSB Forum » Open Discussion

(29 posts)

seattle has excess resources

• Started 1 year ago by hooper1961
  • Latest reply from FionaEnzo

1. hooper1961
    Member Profile

the city apparently has money to burn. opening city hall on a Sunday will cost the taxpayers $. there is no need to open the City building on a Sunday for a nice to have but clearly not a NEED TO HAVE.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  2. What are you talking about?

Posted 1 year ago #         
  3. If everybody ignores a troll, does it still make a sound?

Mike

Posted 1 year ago #         
  4. miws..
    i to want to know what he is talking about
    is city hall now open on sundays?
    is it for a specific event or cause or permanent?

good questions

Posted 1 year ago #         
  5. Hooper is talking about the HISTORICAL day of marriage equality in WA state. December 9th is the first day same-sex couples can legally marry and City Hall will be open from 1-5 on Sunday to marry 140 couples (gay and straight). They filled all 80 spots in a day and were able to somehow squeeze in 60 more marriages when they saw the demand. I think all 140 spots were filled in less than two days.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  6. thanks ghar72
    i should have known.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  7. Finally, something in this city I am HAPPY to think my tax dollars will go to. I can think of a whole bunch of other "nice to have, but not need to have" things that tax payer dollars are used for around here that tick me off a hell of a lot more than this, that's for sure!!

Posted 1 year ago #         
  8. Genesee Hill
    Member Profile

Genesee Hill

All right. Something else to get upset about. That ranks right up there with the 30 MPH speed limit on Admiral. hehe

Posted 1 year ago #         
  9. Lindsey
    Member Profile

Lindsey

Hmm, let's see here...

$64 per marriage license, 140 couples...

City Hall will be taking in $2240 per hour it is open on Sunday. I doubt it makes that much every other day, so the argument about costing the taxpayers money is pretty much bull#$%@.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  10. Lindsey for the win :)

Posted 1 year ago #         
  11. It wasn't bad enough that Hoop argued against marriage during the 74 forum post/debate. Now he has to rain on my/our celebration as well. By the way, isn't it King County that brings in license revenues?

Posted 1 year ago #         
  12. I'm in favor of their plans to schedule such services on a Sunday.

This way they will be able to operate a lot more efficently AND the normal M-F boogie will run a lot smoother as well, not having 140 couples PLUS their peeps getting in the way of the other business.

Sounds like a cent-sable idea to moi.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  13. hooper1961
    Member Profile

the fact is that it is costing added money and those that want to marry could simply arrange a service with a judge to perform the ceremony. judges do this service for a modest fee! and no added cost to the tax payer

Posted 1 year ago #         
  14. hooper...did you even read post #9? Give me a detailed account of the added cost compared to the revenue brought in by the licenses. Or are you just in the mood for complaining once more...it's simply a PERCEIVED added cost in your head...

Posted 1 year ago #         
  15. Let's see here . . .

$2240 to keep Town Hall open

divided by

620,778 (# of people in Seattle, per Google)

=============================

$ 0.3608375296804977

hooper's share of the bill: a little over 1/3 of a cent.

Cough it up, hooper.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  16. Oops. Got my figgers wrong.

Seems that hooper's due a refund.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  17. Seems like a fair money maker to me. What's wrong with a win-win?

Posted 1 year ago #         
  18. hooper1961
    Member Profile

i highly doubt the City will make money on this item it will cost taxpayers money! and yes the cost is not extravagant but is it truly a need to have at taxpayer expense?

Posted 1 year ago #         
  19. Genesee Hill
    Member Profile

Genesee Hill

Wow, hoop. Let it go, pal.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  20. hoop..

there are days i contemplate what we fund for you at taxpayer's expense that you could do without...

Posted 1 year ago #         
  21. is it truly a need to have at taxpayer expense?

Yes.

Next question?

...hey. If you don't have to provide evidence than neither do I.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  22. LStephens
    Member Profile

Well said datamuse!

I still NEVER got an answer from any gay marriage opponents as to how my gay neighbors and friends getting married has any effect on my marriage or theirs.

I'm thrilled to have my tax dollars spent this way on Sunday! How exciting for LGBT couples to have the same freedom to marry as I have enjoyed for 32 years. A great day for civil rights!!

Posted 1 year ago #         
  23. redblack
    Member Profile

redblack

what cost?

Aaron Pickus, a spokesman for Mayor Mike McGinn, said Friday that eight municipal judges are donating their time to marry couples between noon and 5 p.m. on Dec. 9, three days after Referendum 74 takes effect.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2012/11/seattle_city_hall_will_open_on.html

Posted 1 year ago #         
  24. Hey Hoop...not everything you assume in your head is actual fact.

Sometimes I wish people could just come out and say "I don't like this simply because I PERSONALLY don't like this" (regardless of the subject, gay marriage or whatever), rather than boring everyone with made up consequences. I may not agree with your stance, but I'll have more respect for your honesty than your grabbing at straws.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  25. And at 12:01 I'll expect the moral fabric of my heterosexual marriage and indeed civilized society as a whole to disintegrate.
    But on the off chance that it doesn't, will the anti-47ers admit they were wrong? ;)
    Such a happy day - congratulations to the couples!

Posted 1 year ago #         
  26. Well, hoop, it happened it's over, it's done.

Sounds like it was a very festive occasion.

But, I'm sure, you were up all night consternating....

Mike

Posted 1 year ago #         
  27. now , Mike, there's more to come......when we decide to waste money, we do it up big :)

and, congratulations to all those who now have their licenses to marry :D

Posted 1 year ago #         
  28. singularname
    Member Profile

singularname

Hoop ... I'm more aligned with you than others on taxpayer waste, but this one doesn't bother me at all. Drop in a bucket in the big picture--a highly celebratory and historical moment for a majority. Frankly, I feel (benignly) cheated as a non-Christian when all structure to my lifestyle choices come to a screeching halt for 2 weeks at the end of every year--why does the courthouse have to close on every December 25 weekday? It's some give, some take. This level of stuff evens out.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  29. FionaEnzo
    Member Profile

This is not a frivolous expense. It is redressing an historical wrong. I celebrate with the couples that our hearts are opened -- and that love is all around. Life is short -- we need celebrations to highlight the good things happening because we all know there is a lot of ugliness and heartache. I am proud of Washington -- although can't believe it's taken this long.

Posted 1 year ago #         

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

All contents copyright 2014, A Drink of Water and a Story Interactive. Here's how to contact us.
Header image by Nick Adams. ABSOLUTELY NO WSB PHOTO REUSE WITHOUT SITE OWNERS' PERMISSION.
Entries and comments feeds. ^Top^