WSB Forum » Open Discussion

(27 posts)

Need Help Building Ferral Cat Dwellings

• Started 1 year ago by Emmy Bell
  • Latest reply from Emmy Bell

1. Emmy Bell
    Member Profile

I could use some help with materials for building rain and raccoon proof dwellings for 14 ferral cats in West Seattle. The cats are spayed and neutered thanks to f.c.a.t. but they need consistant warm and safe places to sleep/eat. I have received some great plans for construction and assistance with building from a dedicated ferral cat careprovider but we need help with donated materials or funding for materials. We are looking for PVC pipes to get them off the ground away from coons, plywood, latches, nails, 2 x 4's or longer and maybe more metal roofing and of course cat food for the homeowners that have been graciously feeding them for years. I live a block from the cats living area. One of the homeowners will be moving out of the three who have been caring for them. There's a good possibility that the main shed they live in at night will be torn down leaving them to the elements. The structure is unsanitary and unsafe to begin with. One of the kittens we fostered from this group and a neighbor's cat were just killed last week by a raccoon so I know it's a real threat. Let me know if you can help us out. We'd like to start building ASAP. Thanks so much, Emmy

Posted 1 year ago #         
  2. furryfaces
    Member Profile

Emmy, thank you for taking on this project. Just sent an email to a business partner to see if they may have some of the needed items.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  3. EmmyJane
    Member Profile

EmmyJane

Emmy (great name by the way) - In lieu of going and buying supplies, is there a place I can make a cash donation to? If Furry is going to help, I know how to get money to her.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  4. Talaki34
    Member Profile

Talaki34

Sounds like you have already settled on a building plan and have the people to do the construction, then might I suggest going to one of the local hardware stores and asking them to price/list everything out with an extra 5% added in for the little stuff that always pops up. (You can also ask if they would be willing to discount some/all of the materials or even donate some of them.) Things then can be bought in the name of the project right at the store for those who want to donate, but may not have cash and having a list handy with the specs would help if someone wants to pick up and deliver.

I think this is an awesome idea to help the feral cats. A sincere “Thank You” to you, FCAT and everyone looking out for their welfare.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  5. If I come across any of those item's I'll be sure to let you know!

Posted 1 year ago #         
  6. Emmy Bell
    Member Profile

Thanks so much! You're all amazing. I tried to respond individually through email but aht didn't work. I'm new at this blogging. Yes, Talaki I will follow your suggestions. I'm a grant writer and fundraiser for non-profits but at a loss for neighborhood projects. So, help is most appreciated. I'll post a specific list of supplies this weekend. I'll check with Furry faces and see if they would take donations on behalf of this project. To keep confusion at a minimum it can be just Ferral Kitty Condos (West Seattle) for lack of a better name now. I'll keep in touch and if anyone knows anyone who needs help feeding, sheltering or spaying and neutering ferral kitties let me know and I'll get a hold of f.c.a.t. and area volunteers. Thanks Again!Emmy

Posted 1 year ago #         
  7. Genesee Hill
    Member Profile

Genesee Hill

All of the little songbirds thank you, as well, Emmy.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  8. Hey FCAT here I have everything you need to just call me directly.

206-427-6454

As I am reroofing my my house now and I am sure I will have left overs of what is needed

As for building it, I can take care of that too.

FCAT/HH

Posted 1 year ago #         
  9. Genesee Hill
    Member Profile

Genesee Hill

Save the FERAL cats, kill a few more birds.

Cat Predation

Americans keep an estimated 60 million cats as pets. Let's say each cat kills only one bird a year. That would mean that cats kill over 60 million birds (minimum) each year - more wildlife than any oil spill.

Scientific studies actually show that each year, cats kill hundreds of millions of migratory songbirds. In 1990, researchers estimated that "outdoor" house cats and feral cats were responsible for killing nearly 78 million small mammals and birds annually in the United Kingdom.

University of Wisconsin ornithologist, Dr. Santley Temple estimates that 20-150 million songbirds are killed each year by rural cats in Wisconsin alone.

Feline predation is not "natural." Cats were domesticated by the ancient Egyptians and taken throughout the world by the Romans. Cats were brought to North America in the 1800's to control rats. The "tabby" that sits curled up on your couch is not a natural predator and has never been in the natural food chain in the Western Hemisphere.

Cats are a serious threat to fledglings, birds roosting at night and birds on a nest. Research shows that de-clawing cats and bell collars do not prevent them from killing birds and other small animals. For healthy cats and wild birds, cats should not be allowed to roam free.

Work with your local humane society, veterinarians and state wildlife agency to enact and enforce free-roaming cat regulations. For more information:

Free Roaming Cats. American Backyard Bird Society, PO Box 10046, Rockville, MD 20849.

Cats: A Heavy Toll on Songbirds. by Rich Stallcup. Point Reyes Bird Observatory, 4990 Shoreline Hwy., Stinson Beach, CA 94924.

Is there a Killer in Your House? by George Harrison, National Wildlife Magazine (October/November 1992).

Beware of Well-Fed Felines. by Peter Churcher and John Lawton, Natural History Magazine (July 1989).

Back toTable of Contents

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted 1 year ago #         
  10. Genesee Hill
    Member Profile

Genesee Hill

Double Post, I apologize.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  11. Blah Blah, UM that stuff is way wrong. In general feral cats on nocturnal, birds are diurnal. I really don't feel like googling all the facts on pesticides and fertilizers. How green is your grass? Oh what about the birds that just fell out of the sky.

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-the-truth-about-the-dead-birds-falling-out-of-the-sky-2011-1

At least the cats are fixed.

I am not seeing 100's of birds at any of the sites I feed and know of, actually NONE. I blame house cats way more.

I fixed 900 cats last year, aborted 400.. So at least something is being done.

Needless to say this argument is old and not valid.

FCAT/HH

Posted 1 year ago #         
  12. Emmy Bell
    Member Profile

Thanks for the info Genesee but since we did domesticate cats and then neglect them on a larger scale than most want to know we have an obligation to do what we can to care for them. I hope you aren't proposing a massive kitty genocide to save songbirds since skyscrappers kill over a billion birds a year. SO, until you can figure out a way to take down capitalism and the ecoside it supports, and you would have my support, why not let those of us who care for these wild creatures do our best to give them a better life? The humane society will take feral kittens usually but will uthenize(sp) the adult cats from what I understand. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So, best to call F.C.A.T. They know how to best take care of them. We love birds too but this isn't the time or place and I'm not intereseted in a debate.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  13. Emmy Bell
    Member Profile

Thank you F.C.A.T. (Feral Cat Assistance in Trapping-and spaying and neutering)
    I'll be giving you a call and let everyone who has stepped forward to help without hesitation so graciously know once we have everything together. I'll also post photos of the finished condos. If anyone would like to volunteer or help f.c.a.t. out I'm sure they could use it. Here's a quote I'm borrowing, "Have your cats spayed and neutered and your wierd friends and relatives)My son loves that one.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  14. Oh I remember that site. That site had over 40 cats, 2 were euthanized, over 20 kittens taken to Seattle animal control, and a few tamed enough to be adopted the rest went back.

So again there were 40 NOW only 14 So Emmy Bell are you seeing dead birds everywhere?

FCAT

Posted 1 year ago #         
  15. Emmy Bell
    Member Profile

No maam. No dead birds just healthier kitties in a more sane and humane habitat.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  16. Isn't "feral cat dwellings" an oxymoron?

Kind of like saying "free-range tortoises."

Posted 1 year ago #         
  17. Emmy Bell
    Member Profile

Yes, it is smarty pants. Very funny. Seriously. Got anymore?

Posted 1 year ago #         
  18. You have a passion Genesee Hill, so does Emmy Bell. Wouldn't it be wondererful if everyone had something they followed with their hearts?

Posted 1 year ago #         
  19. Emmy Bell
    Member Profile

Awomen! I think we all do. We just need to listen to our thump thumps more often.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  20. Talaki34
    Member Profile

Talaki34

Hi Emmy Bell!

Glad to hear that all is going well and I cannot wait to see some pictures. After it is built, if you notice any strong likes or dislikes by the cats will you post that too? I think it would be great info for those of us who would like to build outdoor enclosures.

I didn’t get a chance to donate so I was wondering if maybe I could donate some food. Petsmart® is having a sale on Friskies for .50 a can. I could write a check or if you would wish to accompany me to the store I can purchase several cases and you could load them. Unfortunately I just had surgery so I cannot lift the cases myself. If you are feeding dried, we can do that too.

Let me know how to contact you if you’re interested or Teri has my phone number. Thanks again for doing this.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  21. Genesee Hill
    Member Profile

Genesee Hill

hammerhead,

I respect you more than you will ever know. And, yes, I knew you would "attack" me. Though, you are such an intelligent and brave individual, it does not bother me. Guaranteed, I deserve it.

Bottom line: Keep up the good work, and I will try to stay out of your way.

Even though, we have some differences, you are a "doer". I am an armchair quarterback. I am sorry that I offended you. And that is the honest truth. Please forgive me. And, believe it or not, I mean that.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  22. Emmy Bell
    Member Profile

Hi Talaki, That's really sweet of you to donate food. I know the two women that struggle to take care of them will be happy. Let's see. Our car is currently under the weather of the very expensive variety. So, I could go with you and help carry food but I would need a ride. I can help you with other errands or projects while you're recovering if you need help. I'm available from 10am 2pm M-W this week then school will be out until next Tuesday so I'll be with my little one all day. F.C.A.T. will be spearheading this project gratefully. How great it is of them, them being mostly comprised of one super woman and dedicated volunteers. I didn't want to ask them for more help but they found me and offered straight away. Yes, I will share details of what works and what doesn't. I got some great tips from my cragslist ad too. Apparently, cinder blocks are the best material to raise the beds/feeding stations from raccoons since they can climb like monkeys but can not jump like cats. I'll include this in the final report. So, please contact me if you want to make a pet store run and anything else you might need. I don't know Teri yet so feel free to contact me at makithappen@rocketmail.com
    Dear Genesee, No worries. I didn't mean to attack. Just tired of both the bird/cat debate and didn't have the energy, still don't, to deviate from my mission an immediate need to get these critters safe. By the way, being told that the focus of something you care about invalid is like telling a mother who needs food for her children she should have never reproduced in the first place since they are environmental hazards as are all humans. So, there was some defensiveness thrown in too. Two cats were killed in our neighborhood which included a neighbors pet and my 8mth old kitten I have been fostering and nurturing from 3weeks old from the very colony that needs help. We are just a half block from the cat colony and I know they need shelter ASAP as requested by their careproviders so that is really my only focus for the moment. No hard feelings please. Maybe I can help you build cat proof bird houses. Cheers!

Posted 1 year ago #         
  23. EmmyJane
    Member Profile

EmmyJane

I like this other Emmy.... I like her quite a bit.

Posted 1 year ago #         
  24. me too

Posted 1 year ago #         
  25. funkietoo
    Member Profile

...ditto. Or is the tripl-o

Posted 1 year ago #         
  26. Yes she is and has been been a great help with the colony of cats that she is taking care of.

The new shelters/feeding stations will be taken care of this weekend.

FCAT/HH

Posted 1 year ago #         
  27. Emmy Bell
    Member Profile

Wow, Thanks you guys. That's really sweet. We should all meet for coffee or tea sometime. Look what we accomplished over a computer. No telling what we could network and organize in person. And now for a quick update: Talaki is providing the final touches for the kitty condos and f.c.a.t. is supplying the materials and building the new luxurious dwellings as mentioned above. It should be completed shortly and as promised I will post photos as soon as they are available. Thanks again everyone. Gee,now what? Anyone have anymore projects they need help with?

Posted 1 year ago #         

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

All contents copyright 2014, A Drink of Water and a Story Interactive. Here's how to contact us.
Header image by Nick Adams. ABSOLUTELY NO WSB PHOTO REUSE WITHOUT SITE OWNERS' PERMISSION.
Entries and comments feeds. ^Top^