Mechanical problem delays Colman Pool opening till Sunday

Just in from Seattle Parks – A mechanical problem at Colman Pool is causing problems with heating the water that’s brought in from Puget Sound, so the pool won’t open for the season until Sunday, instead of Saturday, since the part won’t arrive in time for fast repairs. Usually, Parks explains, the water is heated to 84 degrees (from the upper-40s Sound temperature) – but even with the expected repair schedule, the water will be cooler than normal, in the 70s, when the pool opens on Sunday. Parks spokesperson Joelle Hammerstad tells WSB the problem is unrelated to the vault work that had been under way by the pool the past few weeks. Here’s more info from Parks’ frequently updated site “Parkways.” The pool’s schedule brochure (minus this change) can be seen here, and it includes word that Colman Pool will celebrate its 70th birthday with a 4th of July party, 1:45-4:45 pm.

4 Replies to "Mechanical problem delays Colman Pool opening till Sunday"

• Neighborly May 26, 2011 (11:08 pm)

This Sunday? Isn’t that earlier than Monday?

• WSB May 26, 2011 (11:18 pm)

Sorry, it was supposed to say SATURDAY instead of MONDAY. Fixed now, thank you – TR

• Yvonne May 26, 2011 (11:21 pm)

I think we should push for this pool to be open year-round at some point soon. Remodel and/or cover! This is a jewel of a pool and needs to be around for another 70 plus years!!

• Alison May 28, 2011 (2:02 pm)

I think it could be open year round without a cover. There is a pool on the eastside that is open year round without a cover, Samena pool(sp?). West Coast Aquatics swim team up in Mill Creek swam at McCollum pool outside during the winter and survived! I think there would definitley be a host of people that would be brave enough to come down to the pool during those dark winter days. Or I guess you could cover it ;)

Sorry, comment time is over.