WSB Forum » Open Discussion

(89 posts)

Infamous West Seattle?

• Started 6 years ago by WSratsinacage
  • Latest reply from WSratsinacage

1. WSratsinacage
    Member Profile

Hello. I've seen very interesting posts on here about movie filming locations and supernatural happenings in West Seattle. I was wondering if anyone has any stories to share about infamous events in WS? Crimes, criminals, etc.. Thanks.

Posted 6 years ago #         
  2. SuitsarenotBoring
    Member Profile

I hear that the Rite Aid near Morgan Junction is haunted. Heard it used to be a mine of some sort

Posted 6 years ago #         
  3. WSratsinacage
    Member Profile

I have heard about Rite Aid too. I've been going there for years but after I heard it was haunted, I asked some of the people that work there if they have experienced anything out of the ordinary. Everyone I talked to said, "Well, it's definately haunted.." but just stories of hearing banging and things like the water being turned on, etc..

With WS being around a 100 years old, there just have to be some great stories out there. I wonder what may have happened at the Rite Aid location in the past or at other businesses and homes? Thanks in advance for your input.

Posted 6 years ago #         
  4. I heard something about Kubota Gardens being "haunted" (at night)...

I've always wondered if there are any juicy stories of Luna Park myself. I mean, carnivals and the circus are notrious for that.

Here are some great old Luna Park vintage postcards for fun!
    http://www.vintageseattle.org/2008/02/

Posted 6 years ago #         
  5. WSratsinacage
    Member Profile

Ah yes, Luna Park must have some stories!!

Posted 6 years ago #         
  6. HunterG
    Member Profile

HunterG

There is also Andrew's Rainbow house...

Posted 6 years ago #         
  7. WSratsinacage
    Member Profile

Yeah, I read about Andrew's on the previous posts about ghosts, etc .. I appreciate the entries so far but I guess what I am getting at is similar to the private eye tours of Queen Anne and Capitol Hill where they take you to places where crimes were committed.

Posted 6 years ago #         
  8. Supposedly Andrew's father murdered him for being gay.

I grew up in West Seattle and have little recolection of any serious crimes, part of why I like it now I suppose.

I read the West Seattle Herald police blotter on an almost weekly basis (the writer is hysterical) but there is not a lot in the way of serious crimes there either.

Posted 6 years ago #         
  9. scooby-snax
    Member Profile

i've heard that there is a shooting range under the stands at west seattle stadium (by the golf course) and a man (cheating on his wife)was murdered there by her and his ghost still haunts the place.

Posted 6 years ago #         
  10. There was a terrible murder-suicide in what I think is Rocksport (next to AAA?) while it was under construction.
    Also someone was stomped to death in the Herfy's parking lot (West Seattle Nursery now?).
    And there was something about teenage girls killed in the woods west of the steel mill, about the time Ted Bundy was active. (My mother became VERY protective after that.)
    It was an exciting day at WSHS in the 70's when a burned car with a body in it was found outside the rear door, by the auto shop.
    Someone was killed in the Sealth HS stadium before they renovated it.
    Oh yes, a couple was shot at MeKwaMooks Park, below street level, by a random teenager.

Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?

Posted 6 years ago #         
  11. mellaw6565
    Member Profile

mellaw6565

Wasn't there a murder of a music teacher on Charleston a few years back that they never solved?

Posted 6 years ago #         
  12. changingtimes
    Member Profile

changingtimes

dang jerald!!! debbie downer r we! lol! :)

Posted 6 years ago #         
  13. The two girls that were murdered in 1973/74, one was in 9th grade at Madison Jr. High. The two murders were connected, and were not Ted murders. I had always wondered what had happened, because I was at Madison at the time. I remember that a paper carrier discovered the bodies. Ann Rule wrote about the murders in one of her books, it involved two men that thought they were one person in separate bodies and astrology.

Had to wait over 30 years to read what happened in an Ann Rule book. There was a memorial flowering shrub and tree grove planted in front of Madison in memory of the one girl. It was torn out when Madison was remodeled.

The fellow that stomped the person to death was a former star football player for the Huskies. He had a wiry little friend that would rile someone up into a fight, and at the last minute he would step aside and let Big Boy take over. The pair was well known for this ploy. The gag took a tragic turn, and Big Boy and Pee-wee both spent some time in the big house for it.

I would leave the Rainbow House alone. The stories told about it are meant to keep people away. There are No Trespassing signs posted there.
    Amazing how the crazy ghost stories pop up, and people don't remember what happened a decade or two ago, and why people might want to be left in peace.

I known that Jan will remember this:
    In the Genessee Hill area there was a gas explosion that was so violent it woke residents in their beds. A house went up in flames that could be seen throughout the area. A mother and her daughter lived in the house, along with a baby. Mother and daughter escaped. Daughter saw that her baby was not rescued, ran back into the house and perished along with the baby. I still feel sadness when I walk past where the house was.

and then there was the axe murderer that started out by writing in blood on the walls of the houses he broke into.

Posted 6 years ago #         
  14. Whenever I walk past the park next to the Pathfinder School (across from 50th on Genesee) at night, the hair on the back of my neck stands on end. I can't say what it is about that park - seems fine during the day. It's just at night I get bad vibes. I don't think I could bring myself to walk through that park at night - even with my 100lb rottweiler....

Posted 5 years ago #         
  15. the axe murderer had been more active in the north end of Seattle, but he ultimately was caught when the house that he broke into on 49th SW had a handprint left behind. There was no murder there...I believe he was scared off or something like that.

The house that had the gas explosion was on 48th SW south of Alaska...I lived on 54th SW at the time, and my house shook.

Gina..the Herfy's thing...was that in the one on Calif. Ave? or was that at the Herfy's that is now Jack in the Box? My ex-hubby told me it was that one...just curious..

Posted 5 years ago #         
  16. Jerald...I'm not so sure about the Rocksport thing. Before it was Rocksport, that building was a bank...Westside Federal Savings and loan. I banked there when I moved here in 1974, financed my home there in early 1977...never heard of any type of murder there..

Posted 5 years ago #         
  17. Of course the most famous one I can think of was gary ridgway...the green river killer. Although I dont know how many victims were technically picked up in West seattle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Ridgway

Posted 5 years ago #         
  18. It was the Herfy's that is now West Seattle Nursery. That was the Herfy's that closed first. I think business really fell off after the stomping.

The Neilson bulding has a really deep basement, a couple stories below ground. It was not a morgue. Most of the buildings in the Junction have deep basements. How many morgues did West Seattle need in the past? All deep basements do not equal morgues.

Posted 5 years ago #         
  19. WSratsinacage
    Member Profile

Thanks, this is great info. If anyone has any other stories or can add more to what has already been said, please chime in. Thanks!

Posted 5 years ago #         
  20. Oh, dont forget about the numerous bank robberies as well. I think one of the banks by me has been robbed at least 2x in the 4 years we've been here.

Posted 5 years ago #         
  21. How do you do the tiny url thing? Ah, well.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/126521_jugum13.html

Posted 5 years ago #         
  22. And this is sickening.

http://www.crimezzz.net/serialkillers/R/RUZICKA_james_edward.php

Posted 5 years ago #         
  23. WSratsinacage
    Member Profile

wow, thanks for the info Gina.

Posted 5 years ago #         
  24. Gina....go to http://www.tinyurl.com and just follow the instructions :)

Posted 5 years ago #         
  25. by far the best WS-related crime in my book - Rolf Neslund, the ships captain who rammed the WS Bridge...later murdered by his wife for his retirement money...cut up and burned to nothing in the back yard. If only she hadn't drunkenly confessed the crime to her niece.

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=8137

Posted 5 years ago #         
  26. Did Gary Ridgeway have ties to West Seattle? I didn't realize that. I used to work with him at Kenworth. Kind of freaky that we were in the same building or waiting in line at the cafeteria and he could have been right next to me.

Posted 5 years ago #         
  27. mellaw6565
    Member Profile

mellaw6565

JenV - there's a great expose about the ship captain on A&E's Investigative Reports show. I had no idea about any of it until I watched. Really twisted story.

Posted 5 years ago #         
  28. Gary Ridgway lived with his second wife in west seattle

http://www.metrokc.gov/kcsc/docs/Ridg_Summary.pdf is some of the court documents. Feel free to search for west seattle. I dont know if he picked up any victims or dumped them here though...depends on what part of the green river is considered west seattle, if any, and where he got his victims from.

Posted 5 years ago #         
  29. WSratsinacage
    Member Profile

Wow Bonnie, that is amazing! I read Ann Rule's book and Dave Reichert's too, a couple of years ago.

JenV, have you read Ann Rule's story about Neslund? It's pretty good.

Posted 5 years ago #         
  30. marianne
    Member Profile

Stacey Sparks, a girl that I had gone to Madison and WSHS with, went missing in the early 80's when the green river killings were occuring. Flyers were up everywhere about her disappearance. She was last seen at the Raintree over in Bellevue and just vanished. Years and years passed. When road crews began work on the I-90 bridge to remove the "bulge" from the floating bridge, Stacey's remains were found in her car at the bottom of Lake Washington. Apparently, while driving back to West Seattle from Bellevue late at night, her car hit the "bulge", flipped and went over the side. No other cars were around to see it happpen.

Posted 5 years ago #         
  31. WSratsinacage
    Member Profile

I read her (Stacey Sparks) story in one of Ann's books too. Very tragic.

Posted 5 years ago #         
  32. WSratsinacage
    Member Profile

mellaw6565, any more info on the music teacher?

Posted 5 years ago #         
  33. WSrats/mellaw - If I remember correctly, the music teacher was killed by friends of his wife/girlfriends kids. They were caught soon after down on 1st Avenue in the SODO. Didn't hear much about it after that.

Posted 5 years ago #         
  34. WSratsinacage
    Member Profile

What year did this happen?

Posted 5 years ago #         
  35. WSRats, It was probably 1999-2000.

Posted 5 years ago #         
  36. I think the thing with the music teacher happened sometime after 2000, but shortly after. Pretty brutal, it still creeps me out to walk past that house. Not a good neighborhood for music teachers - at least two of them have died strangely in that neighborhood since I've lived there.

Posted 5 years ago #         
  37. BTW - any ideas about the Rite Aide haunting and the Herfy's parking lot thing being connected? They're fairly close to one another...

Posted 5 years ago #         
  38. Cait, you may be right, I remember it was shortly after I moved into the neighborhood. The nicest family lives in that house now. I always wonder if they know they history of the house.

Posted 5 years ago #         
  39. WSratsinacage
    Member Profile

Could you give me a general idea of where the house is? I live in this area. Thanks.

Posted 5 years ago #         
  40. It's on Charlestown about a half block east of the water tower.

Posted 5 years ago #         
  41. WSrats, e-mail me mrjt2226@gmail.com

Posted 5 years ago #         
  42. I loved Stacey (spacey stacey) - she was the sweetest girl. We all thought Bundy or someone similar may have gotten her with such a sudden disappearance. So sad.... There was a young girl killed in Schmitz Park, may have been one of the girls mentioned above from Madison.

I think it might be better to focus on more positive hocus pocus haunted houses then such sad stories about young lives being taken.... imho

Posted 5 years ago #         
  43. Stacey Sparks was indeed one of the nicest people--from Lafayette on through West Seattle High.

Posted 5 years ago #         
  44. I worked at US Bank when it was on Calf and Alaska (now Super Supplements) and I was told it used to be the West Seattle hospital. The upper floor had a weird vibe.

Posted 5 years ago #         
  45. I'm trying to remember some of the names here..Penny Haddenham was the girl from Madison walking home from the fabric store. Her body wasn't found for some time. There was also a girl who had gone to Sealth (Vonnie Stuth nee Van Driel) who was murdered by a guy who had escaped from Western State. George Jugum was the guy who stomped the teenager to death at Herfy's (his dad was a big wig in the longshore union and he was kind of a known thug at WSH). He did his time, though.
    There is a condo at the corner of Yancy and Avalon that was an empty lot when they found the one girl who I can't remember her name. I remember walking home past there before Genesee was a through street to see the crime tape. I've never read Ann Rule, but have a good memory and either knew or had some connection to many of these folks. Denise Naslund of course had gone to Sealth also and would have been in the same class as Vonnie. The early/mid 70's had some crazy things happening to West Seattle.

Posted 5 years ago #         
  46. Checking in West Side Story for all the locations of hospitals in West Seattle. Pages 244-251

1912: 4530 42nd Ave SW
    1916: 1924 California Ave SW
    1911: NW corner of California and Morgan
    1927: hospital was moved to the back of the lot on the NW corner of California and Morgan
    1929: 6506 Fauntleroy Ave
    Laurel Beach Sanatorium: 10203 47th Ave SW
    Shadel Hospital: 7106 35th Ave SW
    1938: 2nd floor of People's Bank, SE corner of California and Alaska. West Seattle General Hospital moved out of the building in November of 1961.

The J.F. Henry building housed an undertaker at one time.

At one time there may have been more morgues in West Seattle than nail salons in modern times!

Posted 5 years ago #         
  47. WSratsinacage
    Member Profile

I hope I am not causing anyone any pain by contributing. Thank you for your stories, please keep them coming. I appreciate all the history of WS, good and bad.

Posted 5 years ago #         
  48. scooby-snax
    Member Profile

jerald- that stomping at herfy's was commited by george juggum(sp?) don't know the stomp-ee.far as i know george is still in prison.

Posted 5 years ago #         
  49. I remember when Herfy's in the Admiral was the place to buy...um....certain illegal substances out the back door... :)

Posted 5 years ago #         
  50. scooby...ya gotta read all the comments...this link about George Jugum was in #21

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/126521_jugum13.html

Posted 5 years ago #         

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.

All contents copyright 2014, A Drink of Water and a Story Interactive. Here's how to contact us.
Header image by Nick Adams. ABSOLUTELY NO WSB PHOTO REUSE WITHOUT SITE OWNERS' PERMISSION.
Entries and comments feeds. ^Top^