Please read the following message from my friends at the Western Washington Fellowship of Reconciliation. They want us to call our senators with a VERY SPECIFIC MESSAGE about spending priorities.
With serious budget talks underway, and with so many unmet needs in our country, there's NEVER been a better time for us to contact these folks with our thoughts on the budget:
Western Washington Fellowship of Reconciliation is asking its members to call or email our Senators about the “Fiscal Cliff”
Act Now to Make a Difference:
Cut Pentagon Budget Not Domestic Programs!
Many groups and coalitions are fighting to increase taxes on the rich and defend social programs, but few voices are calling for a substantial cut to the Pentagon. That’s where you come in! Call or e-mail our two senators. Urge them to fight for at least $1 Trillion in Pentagon cuts over the next decade.
The Budget Control Act of 2011 mandates $1 Trillion in cuts to the Pentagon and $1 Trillion in cuts to domestic spending over the next decade. If the cuts aren’t made by December 31, automatic across-the-board cuts are required by law. This has been called the Fiscal Cliff or sequestration.
1. The huge arms industries are lobbying for fewer cuts to the Pentagon, resulting in more cuts to essential domestic programs which have already been cut or flat lined.
2. These cuts will prolong the depression and destroy jobs.
3. The “grand bargain” being negotiated may let the Bush tax cuts expire and not touch the bloated Pentagon budget, while making deep cuts to Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare, and many other programs that help and protect people, and for confronting the climate crisis.
1. This may be our best chance to get meaningful cuts to the bloated Pentagon budget.
2. Senator Patty Murray is central to the negotiations and has spoken out against cutting social programs. She has also said that going off the cliff and having tax rates restored to pre-Bush-cuts levels at the end of the year might give Democrats more bargaining power to keep the higher taxes on the rich. Her chief aide in DC, Evan Schatz, says she needs letters encouraging her to take a strong stand:
http://www.murray.senate.gov or 866-481-9186.
3. Senator Maria Cantwell, also an important Senator on this issue, has not declared herself publicly on these issues. She needs to be encouraged to speak out:
http://www.cantwell.senate.gov or 888-648-7328.
Demand A Good Bargain or No Bargain:
* Top Ten Reasons Why the Pentagon Should Be Cut by $1 Trillion (with links to more detailed information.):
That is all.